Thursday, June 30, 2011

A NEW type of PAIN

As a young child, going to the dentist is something that did NOT happen. We lived in the country, money was hard to come by and visiting the dentist was on the low list of important things to do. I did not see a dentist until in my early teens and a cavity had finally demanded to be taken care of. It was not fun, but the tooth was fixed and finally as I reached my early twenties, the adult person in me understood the need for taking care of my teeth. Both of my parents lost all their teeth and had to wear dentures. It was hard to see that and my mind was determined to not allow that to happen to me.

So many years later, I find myself back at the dentist office, and the news is NOT good. My teeth are needing major attention because years of grinding them down to almost nothing had brought me a brand new set of major problems. Trust me when I say that I have complained all the way through this process and today...well, today was the BIG day in which my dentist began FOUR of the EIGHT crowns that must be done in order to save my upper teeth. 

I was blessed to find a wonderful, caring, compassionate dentist who also has an amazing sense of humor and yet is very respectful of the Chronic Pain I deal with and knows that any additional Pain he adds to my plate will make life more challenging and difficult for me. He did warn me the pain after the procedure would be ROUGH!

Guess what! He was RIGHT! Oh, my goodness, this has hurt beyond anything I could have dreamed about. Sometimes we try to predict what our Pain will feel like but there is no way to do that. You simply have to wait and let it arrive. My husband has been NURSE WONDER today and taken great care of me but we both have realized this is something that has to run its course before I can feel human again.

I also got through this day by the power of many, many PRAYERS being said for me. People who know me promised to pray and I did feel those prayers as I sat in the chair and got through this rough siege of dental work. Now I must heal, go back in a few weeks and get permanent crowns put on, then heal again and go back for another round of FOUR more crowns on other upper teeth. One thing is for sure, I will never NEGLECT my teeth again ever, and something tells me this will remind me to try cutting down on GRINDING my teeth when stressed.

A dear Sister/Friend knocked at our door today right after I got home and brought me a lovely bouquet of flowers that she had picked at a local grower in our area! That moment was my JOY for this hard day, and they will continue to be a reminder of her caring love and will help me smile more each day.

 
Motto for the day: PLEASE TAKE CARE OF YOUR TEETH.  Keep smiling and say one prayer for me as I promise to say one for you. Never give up the battle of PAIN. Never.  It's worth the fight, no matter what.

2 comments:

  1. I understand the battle with pain and with teeth! That was a beautiful gesture of love on your friend's part. How special to know that someone cares so much! As I come before my Father's Throne in prayer, I bring you with me, Martha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thank you Diane with all my heart! This has NOT been easy--and to have so many people praying for me to get through this-well its very humbling and continues to show me the tremendous power of PRAYER. I had ANOTHER arrangement of flowers delivered yesterday from another group of friends! What amazing love and friendship we can show to each other-and help someone when they are hurting and need something uplifting to SMILE about! But--right now--it HURTS to smile!!

    All my love and prayers back your way! Martha

    ReplyDelete