Sunday, October 30, 2011

How do I give advice about Pain?

People see me hurting, and their first question is, "What can I do to help you?" So many responses come to mind. There are many times when I want to just blurt out, "Well, you could start by taking this miserable Pain from me!" But I know can't be done. So at times I get really frustrated when I'm asked this question because it's a continual reminder that my Pain has found itself a "home" inside my body, and it has no intentions of leaving me alone.

So when people do ask what they can do to help, I have learned to bite my lip and force a smile. Then I look directly at them, hopr I have their full attention, and say, "Well, just one prayer would really be appreciated!"


I make sure to not ask them for two prayers. Or one each day. Instead, I ask for One Simple Prayer, and I always promise to say one for them, too. Sometimes I think people walk away from me, thinking, Why didn't she ask for more than just one prayer? My answer is pretty simple: I believe that if one prayer is said truly from the heart for another human being, I believe the Good Man Upstairs hears that One Prayer very clearly. If people only knew that when we are in the midst of this wicked battle with Chronic Pain and how it takes every ounce of strength we have to simply keep ourselves moving forward, they might understand how special One Simple Prayer can be to help us as we are suffering.


A dear friend whom I met through my blog asked me a question today that moved me to write this particular blog. She asked, "Have you blogged? Because I could use some advice." I didn't know how I could possibly help her as she endures horrible Chronic Pain each day that robs her of even the smallest bits of having a normal life. Yet she also keeps pushing back against the Pain and does everything possible to keep her daily life going, carrying this wicked Pain quietly and not wanting to bother anybody. That's a silent suffering no human should have to go through.


I feel helpless and want to wave a magic wand to wipe away all her Pain and allow Joy to fill her cup to brim with smiles. No more throbbing Pain, just wonderful Joy. So my words of advice for her are simple: "I promise to say One Prayer for you today." And even though you don't know my friend, I ask you to do the same. Please pause for a second and pray: "Please help ease her Pain, Lord" because this small act just might very well be the magic wand that gives her continued strength to keep pushing forward each day, never allowing Pain to take all of her down.


For all who are suffering with Chronic Pain, know you have my One Prayer each day. All I can say is keep smiling, keep fighting, keep praying and always Keep Looking for the Joy. Mine came today in writing this one blog. I pray it offers even a small measure of hope.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, Martha, Martha! What a heart you have. Thank you for your one prayer (that I know you pray daily!) Your one prayer is full of faith and we know our Heavenly Father hears and acts on our prayers. So, thank you from the bottom of my heart! You, and your blog, are God sent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane-
    I want so much to help ease your Pain and Suffering and all that kept coming to me was the words "Say One Prayer" and the blog seemed to flow from there. Please know this Posting "What Advice Can I give about Pain" was for you!

    Yes even the simplest of Prayers are heard by the Lord and He is listening and helping you.

    Hang tough my dear friend! Know my prayers are there for you and as always, my love.

    Martha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Martha,
    My name is Liz, I came across your blog from another blog I'd just found written by Diane Ronzino. I started blogging trying to market items I was going to start selling on artfire, etsy & ebay, to try to bring in some income due to my hubby loosing his job. I also "deal" w/chronic pain everyday for about 10 or so yrs now which makes it impossible for me to join a "normal" workforce. When things weren't coming together for me I started searching for some "advice", "encouragement" etc. to make this work, when the Lord stepped in & pulled me into a whole different avenue. I just kept clicking thru & reading every bit of encouragement I could.
    I'm so glad I found your site, I SO know what you are going thru, it's amazing how pain can take a person from being a self sufficient, confident, strong person to one who thinks "how will I make it thru today?" I've come to realize, PRAYERS, PRAYERS & more PRAYERS along w/a willingness to NEVER give up, can be the ONLY way at times.
    Well I hope that we can connect & help one another as well as others out there who are in this "pain circle" with us. Thanks for your blog!!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liz-
    Thank you for these words that I know came straight from your heart! I am sorry you too must battle with the nightmare Chronic Pain brings each day to your life. It does feel as if everything gets turned "upside down" and who you once were, seems to just have vanished! Its also wonderful to see how the Lord kept "pulling you" forward to look for words of encouragement and to show you the word PRAYER. Your statement about Prayer and that determination to NEVER GIVE UP touch my heart so deeply. Pain has humbled me in ways I never thought could happen and there are so many times when I have to dig so "deep" within and simply say "Lord, you have to help me, please" and by His Grace, somehow I find my strength to make it through the day.

    I am honored you found my blog, as well that of Diane's because she too truly suffers so much and we have become "Prayer Partners" meaning we will simply offer up a Prayer for each other every day.

    Please know I will be praying for you Liz each night! Write again and we will work on getting connected! This blog has pushed me into reaching out and meeting new people and learning so much from them and their courageous battle being fought to keep moving, keep living, keep finding a second of Joy, in spite of Pain.

    God Bless you and I pray He brings you some relief-no matter how small it might seem. I look forward to hearing from you soon and am now also a part of your "Pain Circle!"

    Martha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Liz, I'm truly sorry that we have to have this bond/connection of pain, but as we know prayer is the key to everything. And it is amazing how God brings people together. It is awesome! I hope to be included in your circle. Please know I will be praying for your financial situation and for you. I look forward to hearing your story and reading your blog.

    God bless you, Diane

    ReplyDelete