Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Do I have any of Her Courage?

My Great Grandparents & Grandfather:
King & Martha Heffington, 
their Sons, Wiley (my Grandfather) and Royce (baby)


Shortly after this photo was taken, Martha and little Royce passed away-within days of each other. I have a small bit of history but knew she had a difficult time bringing Royce into the world and medical help was probably not easy to get, and they were living in Indian Territory in Oklahoma.

My Grandfather made sure I knew the woman in this photo~~I was named after her,  perhaps by accident because my Mother knew very little about her, but when the time came to name me, she told
me how the name "Martha" suddenly hit her and as they say, 'the rest is history."

The look on her face is tight~~~~Pain was probably taking over, but she pushed ahead for this photo
to be taken-making sure her children never forgot what she looked like and hoping they would always know how much she loved  them. 

Pain is hard to live with~~these words don't begin to fully explain all the aspects of Chronic Pain-people want to hear "I am feeling so much better" and there is improvement-no mistaking that glorious fact!  I don't talk much about the non-stop Fire attached full-time to my Butt, leg, and now both Feet!

Do I have any of Great-Grandma Martha's Courage?   I hope so..............

God bless all who have suffered with Pain---help them to reach deep for Courage and Faith.

Martha



6 comments:

  1. I've missed reading you, Martha! It was wonderful to learn of your namesake. I'm sorry she died so young.

    Hugs to you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane~~I always enjoy hearing from you! I posted this after finding her picture and it really caused me to reflect--wondering if I have even a piece of her courage.. This past week has been ROUGH--I don't feel good and my neck is terribly sore--to the point of it hurting a lot...

      Please keep me in your prayers... I feel guilty in asking--when I think about the people in Boston who have lost SO much--especially the little boy.............

      So hard to understand.... All we can is pray... Love you, martha

      Delete
  2. None of us are sure how we would re-act or respond with chronic pain. But you do have courage my friend, one can read it in your determination to let you life be defined by only YOUR struggle. You lay yourself open to help others who suffer as you do. That takes courage to think of others while drowning your own pain. Take courage my friend, God has to pour this love for others in you. Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty-
      How you are always able to find words that go straight to the "heart of the matter" touches me and leaves me in awe of you!! I don't know why the Pain Battle has been so hard lately--but the NEW PAINS are just whipping me all over the place..

      It feels like I have to re-group my "troops" each day as I push them on. The NECK Pain-- well
      it is a REAL PAIN IN THE NECK!!! I asked my dear Matt today--"will I find my way through this mess of Pain?" He didn't pause--"Yes my wife--WE will make it~~~~you are just having one Mean Spell of Pain!"

      Betty I am so blessed to have you in my life~~I thank God for your special love and spiritual wisdom!!! You are ONE COOL LADY!! love, martha

      Delete
  3. Absolutely, yes you have courage and faith. I do agree with what Betty is saying. You think of others especially those in pain like you and any other care. You find joy everyday no matter how simple so that you can celebrate it above the dominating pain of your days.

    I do believe that is Faith with courage. That is love too.

    Hang in there, friend. I care for you and I want to kill that pain if I could, so that you can enjoy what is before you, freedom of movement and intentions. I pray for that and I want to imagine that of you and Matt.

    Hugs and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Lolita~~ your precious words lift me up on this day and helps me to put everyone's loving comments together. I can't begin to express my gratitude for such LOVE you all send to me.

      I am having a HARD struggle right now~~~and we are getting ready to see my Pain doctor in a few hours as everything just really HURTS... Perhaps having my Neck burning might have set everything off and I am human---lately I have doubted my courage--PAIN wears on you~~
      and takes so much from the body, and without question, you get tired!!

      But you have reminded me of my goal to find a small measure of Joy--no matter how hard the day is... I am humbled by your love... Bless you and I hold your prayers close to my heart. Please know I keep you in my prayers too. I cling to HIS hand and hang tight to my words--
      PAIN WON'T BEAT ME!!! God bless you dear Lolita.. love,martha

      Delete