Thursday, May 16, 2013

Stepping Away from my Pain---to help my Friend

I have a dear friend----who is definitely my Pain pal--Charlie!!  He has suffered with Chronic Pain for years--suffering longer than I can imagine and handles his Pain with a silent Grace that humbles me each time I see him.  As time goes by, we have learned our Pain areas  are very similiar~~Neck, shoulders, back, leg, feet~~~~a Friendship forged by Pain and Care for each other.

As our Friendship grew-we made a promise to Pray for each other~~we both face days and nights where Pain rules our bodies and all we can do is hang on, pray for relief and count the hours as we wait for the morning Sun to peek  through the curtains. 

Major storms hit last night--hundreds of miles from our area~~but Charlie knew weather was coming long before it ever  hit the ground.  Suddenly I knew~~~my friend was suffering, and my fingers stumbling as I dialed their home--- hearing his wife's voice, "Are you miserable?"  Sure I was  miserable but Charlie was worse--her voice spoke volumes~~~when suddenly she stopped talking and told me "I will call  you soon!" 

My heart raced in fear for Charlie, and  I started praying, asking The Lord to stand with Charlie, and
also prayed for Mary-Mother of Jesus to also help Charlie.  Minutes ticked by-feeling like hours  before my phone rang and Charlie's wife told me "Its okay--Charlie went from  horrendous Pain to a sudden, peaceful Slumber in his chair."

We help each other--lifting the other one up  when it feels like we can't  take another second of pounding Pain.   I knew my friend needed  Prayers  and so I stepped  away from my Pain to help. 
Charlie has done the same for me~~~~~a prayerful Pain pal to have.

God be with all who walk the journey of physical Pain--my prayers are with you.

martha

6 comments:

  1. Oh Martha this is such a sweet testimony of God working through prayer. We never know how much prayer it will take or the timing in prayer, just have to accept it's all in God's hands. I know you are a prayer warrior as your friend is...suffering will take all else away except prayer. This was a blessing to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty~~
      Your response touches me in so many ways--and help me to grow in my understanding of Pain, prayer and trusting God--knowing HE is always with me and with my friend.

      Suffering does take so much from us---but PRAYER--well that is untouchable, even when Pain is so bad, and all one can do is moan, groan, and say "I need your help God."

      I send you my love and a big hug!! martha

      Delete
  2. Thanks Martha, need that spiritual hug and prayer...nothing big going on, just struggling with myself, the old flesh, so very glad for sweet conviction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty~~
      How I wish the word PAIN did not carry such depth to it. A friend of mine shared about this process we call "Aging" and how the simple things we always did--suddenly have become hard, and at times,impossible to do.

      I think we need to have a moment or more of Frustration--I am learning to let some out instead of holding it all in. Never dreamed my Pain could also be impacted by my mood!

      So I do my best to put a smile on---just know when I see your NAME--the smile feels my heart!

      Hang in there my dear friend. love, martha

      Delete
  3. Oh Martha I think it is your pain that has brought depth to you. You are even learning to purposely let out your frustration. It is something we all should learn to do. Why God makes some of us (Martha) the teacher of it we will not know till heaven. But you have touched my life and made me a wiser woman. I am learning this aging process has a purpose for we are we cannot go home to be with our Lord unless we shed this old dress of flesh. Thanks for the prayers, I had and still have peace concerning a mistake I made that hurt someone deeply. Love you my wise friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty, God guided you my way and I will be forever in awe of your tremendous Spirit-filled Heart~~~you send me words that tell me things you see in me---all I can do is sit in humble gratitude and love for you!

      Your message arrived at the perfect time--I took a bad fall today--was getting out of our truck and started sliding, only thing to keep me from landing on my old butt was to lock my feet tight and when I did--it sent a sudden wave of Pain to my Neck!! Matt wanted a fast run to the hospital--but I said NO and stayed very still and quiet~~~

      Things happen and I will be seeing my Doctor asap--but for the moment, my Head IS still attached and I can think straight--Your words have lifted me up and helped to give me
      courage to face the Pain. Maybe thats what we all do for each other--help with love that comes from the heart!!

      Thank you my loving friend. I love you, martha

      Delete