Wednesday, October 30, 2013

A Message from a young "Tree Climber!"

We never  know when the chance will arrive for  a "Message" to come our  way~~~giving us a few seconds to turn our brains OFF and allow our EARS to  hear words coming.

It happened to me a  few  days ago as I was shopping and stood at the Checkout Counter.   As the years  have  passed, people  see me with a  walking cane-someone will say "You are  too Young for  one of  those!  What happened  to you?"

I have learned to be brief with my story-"Well  I  fell out of a Tree about 18 years ago, landed Too  hard on my Behind, messed up my Sciatic  Nerve, my Leg hurts  ALL  the time, and the  leg feels  Weak and I use the Cane to help me keep  from falling."

No matter how  many times I say it--everyone around me grows quiet!   I wonder what they are  thinking--as I  hear  a  question "Why were you in a tree?"  My answer is  fast--"I  was cutting a Limb down, but  never  thought  I would have  such a Bad  Fall." 

Silence  lingered-- and suddenly a young voice emerged from the line of shoppers and was standing beside  me.   He looked  up at me, lifting his  arm for  me to see it  wrapped  in a Heavy Cast.  His  words  hit home--"Heh- I broke my Arm when I fell out of  a  tree--boy it  really did hurt!"   

My heart was doing flip-flops~~~knowing how bad his  fall could  have  been-- giving Silent thanks that all he had ended with was this broken arm. But He had more to say---"I  heard you tell that  lady about how you Fell  out of a Tree--does you Leg really hurt All  the  Time?"    

I pushed the Tears down inside me--feeling the need to  answer  this child with honesty.   "Well, yes--you did hear me right--my Leg does  hurt All  the  Time.  You were very lucky to only break  your  arm."
He paused---as if he were storing my words  into his mental memory bank~~~ and he said "Lady--I am Sorry you got  hurt!"

Genuine concern from one so young--he started  to  walk  away, glancing back at me with each step  he  took--I  knew  it was time  for just a few more  words~~~"Heh--how about  we  make a promise  with each other?"   His eyes  grew large--"Yeh---thats  okay!"    I  leaned down and said  "How  about we  both promise to NOT climb a  Tree again?"   His  beautiful face broke  into a  huge  grin for  a second--then he grew silent,  I knew  he  was taking our conversation to  heart.

Almost in exact unison-our words  blended together---"We  promise  to never  Climb up a Tree  again!"    I kept smiling  as  he walked  away,  holding his Mom's  hand and turned to Wave at me.    

This "Message" will  stay in my heart  forever.........  


martha

2 comments: