Monday, January 16, 2012

Meeting amazing people at the pain clinic

Today was my day for blessed relief. I went to have my neck injected to ease constant pain that seems to have gotten worse over the past month. I had the bad luck of being in a car wreck a few years ago and found out just how much the body does "move" around in the midst of an accident. Of course, my bad leg took a piece of the jolt and so did my neck.

My appointment was very early this morning. That's always better because as the day wears on, the room grows fuller with so many "faces" of people in varying stages of Pain. All it takes is one look at a person's face, and you know how bad they are feeling. At this clinic, you are given a number when you check in, and that's how they keep track of you as the process goes through. I don't particularly care for it because it feels as if you are less of a person. When you are suffering, a kind word or a gentle touch of true caring goes so much further than a number.

As I sat down to register, I was pleasantly greeted by a beautiful young woman, probably in her late twenties. She had a smile on her face that seemed to make everything around her glow. I knew my day at the clinic was off to a wonderful start as we made small talk about weather and road conditions as we traveled in. For whatever reason, I asked her how she "liked" this work, and that's when I truly met an amazing young woman.

"Well, this is just my part-time job," she replied. "I'm in the Navy and am waiting to be deployed!"

I was at a loss for words as my head was trying to form a mental image of this beautiful young woman, traveling overseas to defend our country. That's when the fear hit me as I worried about her having to pay the ultimate price. She could see I was stunned.

"I joined up the day after my high school graduation, and it's the best decision I ever made," she quickly explained.

I realized that there I sat, looking into the face of a member of our nation's all voluntary military forces, and I was so humbled to be in her presence. She explained about having been raised in a military family where her grandfather and father had both given their time to serve. Yet when she volunteered, they did not leap for joy as the reality of what could happen to their loved one. We talked about how families deal with this.

"They could see I was firm in my decision," she said, "and I just prayed and gave them time to understand it!

It's hard to explain all the emotions that ran through me. I shared with her my memory of the Vietnam War and having worn a bracelet of a POW for years. How I watched the newspaper faithfully and finally saw that he'd made it home. I had to tell her that I could not recall the young man's name and still feel bad about that, but she put my shame aside.

"You took the effort to wear the bracelet and care. That's wonderful!" she assured me.

Finally, I asked if she knew where the Navy might send her. She took a long look at me.

"Afghanistan," she replied. "It's the worst place now, and that's where we are needed."

Everything in my head about Pain and suffering just left me as I felt glued to my chair. I didn't want to lose a second of conversation with this amazing woman. She continued on and shared with me about how many of her high school friends had also enlisted the same day that she did. All of them have served at least one tour of duty and will probably be going again. I expressed my pride at her dedication and told her that she would be in my thoughts and prayers. Then she took a moment and showed me the "other face" of our young military.

"I have this friend who joined up and he stood well over six feet tall at one time." She paused, then continued. "He is a lot shorter now because both of his legs were blown off while serving."

I felt a deep pain inside my heart for the "price" that young man has paid for all of us. But she let me know more about him.

"You might think he would just give up," she said. "But he didn't! He's still working for the military. He's behind a desk, has married and has two young sons. He has NEVER quit!"

It seemed we were the only two people in that room as I listened to her story and instantly realized that this country we live in is blessed beyond measure to have young "heroes" step up, sign their name and give the promise to serve and protect our freedoms. As I heard my number being called, I turned around and smiled at her. I touched my hand to my heart.

"God bless you," I told her. "Please stay safe."

I had no clue my day would start like this but will be forever grateful to have been given this moment to meet such an amazing young woman and hear her story. Please pray for our young volunteer armed forces. They are young, just like so many others who have gone before us. These young people also will pay a heavy price as they serve and will be forever impacted by their time spent fighting for this country.

My day at the pain clinic held many special moments of Joy for me today. I shall never forget the time, especially when I look down and realize my legs might hurt a lot, but they are still attached to my body. Many of these young men and women who have served are now missing legs, arms, and so much more. It is the ultimate price to pay. Pray for the families of these young heroes.

God bless all those who serve and help them find their way home.

4 comments:

  1. Yes Diane-
    We all need to sing the praises of these young heros. I still can't believe the good Lord gave me the chance to meet one of them. She was so beautiful and filled with duty to our country. Thank you for your words.

    God bless. Martha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just starting the journey of reading about your trail of pain..I only got through the first post and had to stop because it was painful to read. with every sentence I wanted to add my woes to your woes...good to be sisters in pain.
    there have been times the pain is my enemy, times its been a friend but at all times it is my limitation..one who controls my life often.

    It's encouraging reading someone else understand chronic pain and the toll it takes on our emotions. God bless you sister for sharing, I will continue to read more of your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Betty-
    I am humbled to my knees by your words and to hear of your journey with Pain. Your descriptions of PAIN-oh my, so completely to the point and painfully TRUE. Its very hard to go from one day active-the next day, everything turned upside down and having to come to grips with the fact that PAIN is going to stay right beside you.

    You are without doubt a woman of great strength and courage-never doubt that fact, because to put your words out there-its never easy and I want you to know, your woes will always be listened to, prayed for and supported by me, as you say "a sister in Pain".

    The battle is tough Betty-oh how I do realize that and I will pray for continued strength to remain within you--also never forget this "You were here before the Pain arrived!" Pain does make me feel like I am looking at a complete stranger in the mirror-but I am determined to follow the motto of my blog "Pain Won't Beat Me"-it might knock me down, drag me through Hell and back, but by the grace of God, it will not beat me! That is my wish for you. I am honored that you found my blog and look forward to hearing from you again. You are in my prayers Betty. Never forget that. God Bless. Martha

    ReplyDelete