Sunday, January 1, 2012

The other "face" of Pain

My fingers haven't been at these keys for a while now because I've been recovering from a major procedure to ease the Chronic Pain in my back. And I can joyfully say the results are very good! Not perfect–I wasn't looking for that–just simple relief where I could lift my head above the pain and simply be relaxed. I am almost there. Is this the end to my Pain Journey? No. It's not because I still have Sciatica Pain going down my leg day and night–that's a "gift" from the tree fall that will stay with me forever. But I am able to cope with that pain better now and so it allows me to look beyond my physical Pain and see another "face" of Pain–emotional heartache, and in a time of holidays and all the expectations that go with the season, for whatever reason, old hurts, losses we try to keep tucked away. Well, they come rushing to the surface and will not be pushed out of sight. Instead, they take front and center of our lives.

At my local church this morning, I was upbeat, happy to be alive and looking forward to this new year laying in front of us. My attention was drawn suddenly to a dear older lady, sitting by my husband. One look told me everything–she was struggling to just "be there" as her frail body showed the signs of aging and a failing heart. I wanted so badly to take her pain away. Yet I knew that prayer was the only thing I could offer her. She began coughing, and people all around her were patting her shoulders, whispering sweet words of support. So I jumped up and ran to get her a small cup of water, praying it would somehow bring ease to her. What I didn't realize was that she had leaned on my husband's strong shoulder and gently whispered to him, "Please pray for me." And I saw the other "face" that left me with a sudden ache in my heart.  

Yet she did not leave the service, as one could see this determination written on her face that told us all, "I want to be here with the Lord." I believe every person near her was praying, praying, praying. I tried to get my focus back on the service and for whatever reason, my eyes fell upon another "face" as I recognized a young couple who lost their precious little girl to leukemia a few years ago. We had all grieved together as a church family, wanting to help them through their loss and knowing that all we could do was pray and love them. My eyes could not leave this young father as I watched him and thought about how pain-filled this holiday had been for him. It was written all over him, and his lovely wife showed the signs, too. But she was doing her best to be strong and was in deep prayer. I felt helpless, wanting to speak with him, try to offer words of support and hope. That was when it hit me. Just as with Chronic Physical Pain that refuses to go away, there are many heartbreaking events in life that will never leave our hearts. 

We all suffer in one way or another through our lives. Somehow it helps to know that we are never alone. My precious Dad taught me a lesson that has stayed with me since I was a young girl. One day I was complaining and feeling sorry for myself. He looked at me and said, "Sister, when you think life is treating you so bad, that it just can't get any worse, STOP.  Look around. That's when you will see somebody hurting a lot worse than you are! This is when you count your blessings!" He called me Sister a lot, and I can still hear that lesson in my heart, as if he were speaking it to me at this very moment. I am learning as I continue my journey with Chronic Pain that life is not always fair, and Pain has a face we don't like seeing or talking about.  

Life can be tough. But it's also filled with the simple joy of being alive and each of us finding our own strength, courage, faith. My prayer for all who are suffering: never give up. There is always a glimmer of joy out there for us to see. May this new year bring physical and emotional ease to all who suffer. God bless you.

4 comments:

  1. WHAT A BEAUTIFUL WAY TO START OFF THE NEW YEAR! YOU MAKE US ALL MORE AWARE OF THE VARIOUS "FACES" OF PAIN. AND LIKE YOU, I , TOO, WILL PRAY.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane-
    Thank you for the caring words and the promise of Prayers. Each one of us carry wounds inside our hearts-some run very Deep and will be with us always. Knowing this simple fact does not make the Hurt any easier to cope with-but we just have to keep trying, moving on, and cherish each day we are given. I can honestly say that seeing this "other face" of Pain and then writing about it, helped to open my own mind and heart to all who suffer in many different ways.

    You are a wonderful Prayer Warrior Diane. Never stop being YOU. What a blessing you are to everyone around you and especially, for me!

    Love and Blessings. Martha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Martha,

    I discovered your blog through a somewhat circuitous route, and I can't tell you how grateful I am for 'meeting' you here and reading your story. In the very short while I've known you, your motto of Pain Won't Beat Me has helped me tremendously.

    The pain I deal with is from a variety of conditions, and I use a variety of techniques to get relief, with varying degrees of success from day to day. Matters were made worse when I tripped and fell this past Saturday. Nothing is broken, just bruised and swollen, stiff and sore. I'm very lucky and grateful I wasn't hurt any worse.

    Mostly I'd like you to know how much I appreciate you, your attitude and your blog, and I'd like to thank you for sharing your experiences so generously.

    I'm so glad your procedure was successful! What blessed relief. Living with chronic pain has taught me to look at people differently, too; allowed me to see past first impressions, to look at someone besides myself. Thank you for reminding me of that.

    Gratefully yours,
    Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynda-
    First of all, its a joy to "meet" you and I am so grateful for the strength you have to share openly about your journey with Chronic Pain. It is Never easy and you are right when talking about different methods that help you cope with the pain. I am very sorry to hear about your falling and yet thankful there was no further damage.

    Yes to have some "relief" right now is truly wonderful, simply because I feel like my head is above the Pain now for a while-although I must be very careful to not mess things up. You touched on something that is very important for all to understand-for someone dealing with Chronic Pain, it usually means there is more than just ONE obvious problem! My back feels much better, but the constant Sciatic Pain that appears to have joined itself to my leg-well that just goes on and on. So I truly do understand when someone is struggling with Chronic Pain and it has opened my eyes to the many other Faces of Pain. Today while at a grocery store, I watched a woman moving so very slowly across the parking lot and it hit me hard-I knew in a second the she too was suffering with Pain and my heart ached for her struggles.

    You sound like a strong lady Lynda and it takes tremendous strength to walk this journey. Please write back and also know, I will keep you in my prayers. By the way, you have a joy-filled smile on your face!! God bless. Martha

    ReplyDelete