Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Whatever happened to The Tree?

In all these many years of suffering with Chronic Pain that came about because I climbed up a stupid tree, it's begun to dawn on me that people might ask how I got hurt. Of course, I tell them what happened. Without fail, people will always ask, "What the heck were you doing in a tree?"

Yes, I've asked that question of myself a million times. I still come up with the same answer that sounds so silly now. "I was cutting a limb down." Right away, I can watch while my listeners pause and process that lovely mental image of me, all the while shaking their heads in disbelief.

Yet in all these years, nobody's ever asked me about The Tree.

Perhaps it's something they don't even think about or would rather not mention for fear of hurting me any further. Let me be real honest. It was not The Tree that hurt me. Instead, it was my own actions and stubborn ways that led me to this battle I suffer each day.

That said, I've decided to share with you exactly what happened to The Tree.

As my days of Pain turned into years, I grew to hate seeing the reminder of my stupid mistake because it was still standing, tall and proud, almost making me feel as if it were laughing at me each day as I went further downhill with the ravages of Chronic Pain. Finally, I simply quit looking at The Tree. In fact, I'd do anything to avoid getting near it, like walking a long distance around the house so as not to give it an ounce of me. Because I felt it had robbed me of too much!


One day, my husband came inside and told me in a very matter-of-fact voice, "Well, that tree is on its last leg. It's probably been dead for a long time now and looks like it might fall!" Oh, my gosh, I literally shouted with joy, beaming that The Tree would finally be GONE. 

The task of taking it to the ground would fell to my dear husband. But he was ready to see it go, too. So the appointed day of reckoning came. I stayed inside, not wanting to watch the process. But I could hear the steady roar of his chainsaw, and I knew he was working fast to get the wicked tree out of our lives. Little did I know that in his rush, he'd forgotten about the tree's big size. All he saw were chunks of wood that had to be taken away. Without thinking, he threw each log over a fence with all the gusto he had. Without a doubt he, too, was letting his own anger be vented against The Tree because he'd been right there with me, witnessing his wife go from a strong vital woman to somebody he didn't recognize anymore.  


The day ended with my husband rushing inside to let me know that"that dang tree is gone now, and you don't have to look at it anymore!" He was exhausted from a full day of man against The Tree. We both relaxed with a new feeling of peace. But just when I thought The Tree could do no further damage, another victim showed up. Late that evening, my husband came racing into our bedroom with a look of true fear on his face. 

"I think The Tree got me, too!" he exclaimed.

He was right! A large hernia had risen in his abdomen. We both knew–time to get to the hospital! My dear husband went straight to surgery to repair the hernia. Then he went through six weeks of rest and recovery. Now he, too, has his own "reminder" of The Tree.


There were other victims, too. Within just a day of The Tree cutting, our neighbor developed a severe allergic reaction to the dust and missed a week of work! "That was one strong Tree," I thought to myself. Yet I was thrilled it was gone. Now all that remains where it once stood is a lovely rock patio with chairs for sitting and simply taking in the beauty of each day I am still given by the Good Man Above!


We joke occasionally about that day and all that happened as a result of it. Our laughter helps me to reflect on just how far I really have traveled in this journey with Pain. Yes, if I had a chance at a do-over, oh, how I would run to erase my stupid mistake. But I choose not to live in the past. Instead, I wish to keep moving, coping with the ups and downs that Pain brings me. 

Yes, The Tree is gone (yippee!). But I am still here. By the grace of God, that is my Joy! As you walk your own journey, just keep looking up and draw from your inner courage, strength...and sense of humor. God bless! 

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Martha...MARTHA! LOL!

    I'm so glad the tree is gone, so sorry for how it got Matt and your neighbor though.

    I love your choice not to live in the past. Not everyone makes that choice. It's one more thing we have in common, my dear friend.

    Thanks for the update - I had meant to ask you about the tree. Now, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Diane-
    It surprised me as I wrote about the tree that so many memories came flooding back and I realized how that moment in time had just been put away by me-because I didn't want to think about it. In a way, I felt like it was me giving a eulogy of sorts to the tree!

    You know as we who all suffer with Pain that it is very hard at times to live in the "present"-especially when we are suffering so much, but I do think it beats living in the past. The future-well it gives me something to look toward-to keep learning about life as I age and hopefully keeping my heart and eyes open so I can see everything the Lord has out there for me to notice and love.

    We do keep adding our "in common list" up now don't we!!

    Thank you for your words. Matt was happy that I blogged about the tree-and wanted to know if I had mentioned him as one of the Tree Victims! I promised him that I did!!

    Stay strong my friend. Keep looking up toward the Lord! love, martha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I truly enjoyed this. I made a stupid mistake six years ago that causes me both physical and emotional pain. It's been so hard to let go because the pain is a constant reminder and I feel like I don't know how to stop dwelling. However, reading your story is inspiring and gives me hope. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete