Sunday, February 12, 2012

Changing weather can bring extra pain misery

My mama broke her ankle many years ago. After it healed, I'd hear her say, "Old Arthur is barking at me today!" The comment sounded strange because she never gave any explanation as to why she would say that. But I began to notice that each time the Old Arthur phrase came out, there was a noticeable limp to her walk and she would spend more time in her chair, rubbing that ankle. She was a very active woman and seeing her take to her favorite recliner told me things were not right. Little did I know that this was probably my first real picture of Chronic Pain.

Finally, I decided to forge ahead and ask exactly what she meant with her Old Arthur phrase. Her look at me was direct and steady, almost telling me to brace myself for what she was about to say. Mama was not one to mince words; she was direct and to the point. She began by saying "Do you understand what arthritis is? No, guess you don't have to deal with that yet. But don't worry, it will come your way!"  

I can recall standing there for what seemed like hours but was probably only a few seconds. Then I replied, "Well, gee, Mama, I think arthritis is when you get older and your bones begin to hurt." She agreed with me that I was fairly clear about arthritis. But Old Arthur was something different! My mind was struggling to figure her words out. Then it hit me like a bolt of lightning. "I got it, Mama! When you broke that ankle so bad, the metal pins they put in to hold the bone together makes it really hurt worse when bad weather is coming!"


The slight smile that filled her face was silently telling me I now understood a bit of the suffering she had to go through. Whenever she fussed about Old Arthur coming, it was a way to release some of the tension, perhaps giving her a second or two to re-group and cope with the Pain that would never go away. But I noticed something as she spoke all this to me. Her eyes were saying so much more to me than the words she spoke. I could see that bone-weary tired feeling, that look one gets from not much sleep, and sadness, telling me she knew this Pain would never leave. That Old Arthur would always show up during bad weather.

I look back on this memory and understand now the lesson being taught to me and how I would find myself using it with my own Chronic Pain. Every so often, I will silently utter the words Old Arthur under my breath as my body is screaming at me that bad weather is on the way. Then I'm taken back to that special moment of a mother teaching her daughter about Pain and now I treasure that time. She had her words and now I have my own fighting phrase of Pain Won't Beat Me to help me get through the bad days.

When I reflect on both my parents, there is a deep ache in my heart as I look upward, wishing to talk with them for advice on dealing with my Chronic Pain. In some ways, I can almost hear them saying "Sister, life is never easy, but the Good Lord will NEVER give you more than you can handle, so just keep looking up and be thankful for all He gives you!"

For all who are suffering with Chronic Pain, please know I will keep Looking Up for you, offering a Prayer for Help. My moment of Joy today came from simply remembering the phrase uttered so long ago: "Old Arthur is Barking today!"

2 comments:

  1. Joe broke his ankle after falling on the ice about 5-6 winters ago. He doesn't have metal in his ankle, but he sure does know when the weather is changing. So, I understand.

    Thank you for your prayers for all of us, Martha! I appreciate it. It's what helps get me through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Diane-
    So Joe is a member of the "Weather Pain Predictors Group"--wow, its amazing what our bodies can say to us. Writing this blog really brought back a good memory about my Moma. I needed it. Those prayers you speak of, believe me, they help me to keep putting one foot in front of the other each day.

    Love and Blessings. Martha

    ReplyDelete