Thursday, February 2, 2012

Learning from others

I am constantly amazed at the "teaching ability" of other people who suffer with Chronic Pain. They're in the trenches each day of their lives and do not let Pain take them completely down, no matter how bad it gets.

Unless you've lived with someone who fights this tough battle daily, you truly can't understand how many coping lessons we all learn in our journey with Pain.

We each have our own special list: Prayer, special stretches, medication, heating pads, pillows, ice packs, meditation, yoga, massages, and the list goes on. But it's a pretty fair statement to say that Prayers keep running on a regular basis. I've had a bit of a break from horrible back Pain, and yet that is not my only problem. Every day, sciatic nerve pain is with me in my leg from the moment my eyes open to the second they close at night for sleep. Sometimes I want to take a hammer and pound that wicked nerve into submission. But the only thing I would accomplish is a ton of lovely black and blue bruises. After so many years of having this sciatic Pain, I've really forgotten what it feels like to be "Pain Free." Guess you can say it's a mystery to me.

Recently, I had the chance to learn from another person who is fighting her own private battle with a very serious health condition. After we talked, I decided to be brave and asked her what "words of advice" she could give to someone who suffers with Pain or deals with serious health problems. She paused for a second. Then the wisdom flowed. "Well, always keep smiling, do not forget to laugh, and remember this–things are not always as dark as they might look. So just keep living!"


All I could do was sit in awe of the amazing grace and courage this beautiful woman possesses. And it hit me–here was a Major Lesson being spoken and I needed to honor it by trying to practice it! Her husband was with us during our visit, and I knew he had been right by her side as she has battled her health issues. Something spurred me on to get his view of coping in times like these. Little did I know this man was about to speak words that will never leave me.

He leaned forward, with tears filling his eyes, and said, "Well, when life gives you a detour, make sure you enjoy all of the scenery!"


This wonderful couple have no idea as to how much their words impacted me as I looked back at all the times when Pain wore me down so much, that all I wanted to do was have a major Pity Me Party! Let's be honest...nobody has any fun at a pity party, and I have learned it serves no purpose. My hope is to keep learning from others, then put their wise words into my daily life and do my best to practice them.

After all, this world is filled with beautiful scenery, and I want to breathe deeply and simply ENJOY! Sometimes we can learn by watching silently, listening with an open heart and being willing to step past our own Pain for a few minutes. It will never be easy, but it's truly worth the effort to keep fighting back against the Pain. Tonight I pushed myself to go see a play, and the scenery was very nice!

God bless each of you during your journey with Pain, and know I will always say A Prayer For You.

2 comments:

  1. What wisdom! Thank you for sharing it Martha! It's a Life Lesson I'm going to learn from! The LORD bless them and keep them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane-
    Your words say it all---especially the term "Life Lesson" because thats what we are doing each day as we move so rapidly through our lives. There are so MANY important "Life Lessons" that others can teach us and all we need do is "Slow down and Listen" letting our hearts become OPEN to others. All prayers are "heard" and what a GIFT to give as we pray for each other!

    God bless you! Martha

    ReplyDelete