Saturday, April 23, 2011

Finding new sources of PAIN relief

A friend who has known me for many years and seen the huge toll that Pain was taking on me would beg me to try something different–like a MASSAGE–hoping it would give me even a tiny measure of relief from this Pain that refuses to stop. I would listen politely and take all his information in, and walk away, refusing to try something new and just staying in MY battle rut. 

For anyone who suffers with Chronic Pain, it's very easy to become protective of our aching body parts. I guard my leg like nobody would  believe because the FEAR of taking a wrong step, twisting in a manner that for most people seems very easy. Yet for me, it means a guaranteed ride on the PAIN roller coaster! I just figure this is the way my life will be, and nothing will help.

But finally I was desperate enough to give Massage a try and found a local lady who had recently finished attending her training and was starting to offer Massages. She assured me as we started that no aching part of my old body would be worked on unless she had my approval and we both agreed as to HOW she would attempt to give me some relief. 

It was amazing to say the least. I walked out with a feeling of complete relaxation that I had not experienced in a long time! It was EASY to make the next appointment and as we continue working together, I am learning about how much Scar Tissue there is wrapped around my Sciatic Nerve, why my feet are so COLD all the time and yet how a specific touch can give temporary relief.

Nothing lasts forever. And yes, my Pain always comes back to rejoin the fight. But at least I am searching for new things to help, whether it be getting a massage or wearing a new pair of magic shoes that continue to EASE my constant foot burn while I have the shoes on. The goal is to simply KEEP trying, no matter how bad the Pain is. And always know, you do not have to push for giant changes but just keep pushing! It's the battle of Chronic Pain versus Me and as long as I keep taking the battle on, I am STILL here, and PAIN has not won!

I pray for all who are suffering as this Easter approaches, that you find a small moment of relief and simply enjoy the day. Go out and look for an Easter egg. Or just sit back and breathe in the JOY of the day. Be glad you are here, regardless of the Pain battle!

No comments:

Post a Comment