Saturday, April 16, 2011

New things sometimes help the PAIN!

When you suffer with Chronic Pain on a daily basis, it's easy to get lost in the battle and forget simple things, like getting out to see a movie, going to dinner, cooking dinner...the list can go on forever. I haven't forgotten HOW to do these things, but the PAIN has a front seat in my life and refuses to be cast aside! 

One of the things I had really forgotten to do over the past year or so was to get out and find a new pair of shoes, which sounds pretty simple. But isn't when it comes to PAIN. The wrong pair of shoes can bring added Pain to my feet and make moving around miserable. SHOES–something this minor is changed because of Chronic Pain, and I find myself frustrated because of this. A good friend had suggested I try these new Skeecher Ups shoes. All that came to mind was a TV commercial, showing a lovely lady, wearing these shoes and claiming the shoes would truly help to bring about a change in your appearance. That is the LAST thing that I cared about. All I could hope for is a pair of shoes that would NOT add to my Pain. 

What came to mind was a line from the movie, Forrest Gump, where he's describing a new pair of corrective shoes with braces. He says, "Momma called them MAGIC SHOES and said they would take me ANYWHERE!" I thought it was worth a shot to at least give the shoes a look and try them on. They felt pretty good so I decided to buy them. The next day I put these shoes on and did not take them off until late in the evening. My feet have burned like fire since I fell from the tree, and this was the FIRST time since that terrible day that my feet felt NORMAL. 

Magic Shoes, nope! Within ten minutes of taking them off, that familiar BURN returned and it was a tough reminder that I will NOT be getting rid of that particular foot problem. I will say buying the shoes was worth it. I don't know how LONG they will help me, but it's like starting Massage treatment...scary and new but even a TINY BIT OF RELIEF is worth it. 

My JOY came as I stood in the shoe store, looking down at my shiny new shoes and feeling like a little child! It was a GOOD DAY, and I continue to pray for more of them. Keep fighting back against PAIN. And who knows, you might just be able to KICK back at it with new SHOES!

2 comments:

  1. I understand fully! I'm glad you had relief, as short lived as it was. Thank you for sharing with us all. I will continue to pray for you and the others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the prayers. Yes-even a few hours of relief was wonderful. Yet I know there are so many people out there who do not get even a second of relief. My prayers go out to each one of them as they need every ounce of strength to fight back against this wicked Chronic Pain. Your prayers are deeply appreciated. I will keep you in my prayers also.

    ReplyDelete