Wednesday, April 11, 2012

When can I Scream at the Pain?

When haven't I screamed at  Pain during all these years of my body aching and throbbing each day?  I have yelled about it, cursed it, raged with a torrent of  words that start running together, not making sense, because my rage is flowing out so fast, I simply can't put the words together!  All I do is rant until there is nothing left inside me, no air to fill my lungs for the rage to continue-and the protective wall around me starts to fall as I collapse in tears-tears that I fight with every fiber inside to keep from flowing to the surface.

Sure I know its okay to cry, actually very helpful to let all those emotions out-but tears bring a certain type of fear to my heart-as I find myself so afraid that if I finally Cry-perhaps it will be the beginning of me feeling  the strength I have held for so long to fight against Pain breaking down.  The logic in my brain speaks and says "Well Martha-maybe its time for you and Pain to give each other a break in this battle!"  Sad to say, that logic doesn't last very long-as I know my Pain will not leave my body-so I must hang in there for the long haul, no matter how tired and worn down I get.

The past few days have been Rough, Pain seeming to have somehow found that "Hammer" and  giving my leg a beating that finds me begging for relief.  Today was one of my worst days-and the only coping tool I could come up with was to take a ride with my husband, hoping to just get my mind off the Pain, knowing I can't forget it-but instead trying hard to focus on the Spring Beauty that surrounds us now here in the Texas Hill Country.  Wildflowers are more beautiful this year-as we have endured such a long drought period and all you can do when seeing them is smile and give praise to God for this amazing beauty.

We took our drive, with me having a few good moments but as the day wore on, Pain decided to knock loudly on my leg and remind me, "Guess what, here we go again-you had better hang on for the Ride Pain is taking you on!"  I could not sit still as my husband drove and we both knew, time to head for home, hoping that a long rest on the sofa might help things calm down.  He stopped to get me a soda and as I sat waiting, my anger kept rising- I could feel it growing stronger, with me  wishing there was "something" to help ease my leg down. For whatever reason, I found myself reflecting on a lesson taught to me long ago by my Dad- he told me "Sister-when times come along in life that make you feel like you just can't take it anymore-and you are feeling so sorry for how bad You have it--STOP--look around--this is when you will See Another person who is suffering a hundred times worse than you!  Sister-this is the moment when you Count Your Blessings-thanking God for all you do have!"

Suddenly I turned to see a man trying to work his way toward the store-but his struggle was terrible-as he dragged his leg behind him-Pain was written all over this man-as I could see the suffering he was enduring.  It felt like everything stopped, nobody else was around but me and the man!  I dropped my head in sorrow and shame, telling God "I am sorry for raging on about myself-Forgive me-and please God, I am sorry for being so angry about the Pain that still follows me!"  Then I asked God to please help this man, give him a moment of relief.

It was a mixture of emotions for me at this second in time, as I could almost hear my Dad's lesson, knowing how Much God has blessed me with, and yet the most inner human part of me still ached as I knew, my Pain battle still was there, right beside me as I was given this moment to witness such suffering by another.  My husband had come out of the store, got inside and said these words "Did you see that Man?"

I will be "processing" this day for a while-as I know all my failings-and all I can do is keep trying, perhaps giving myself "permission" to break down and cry-without the fear that tears will take away my courage in this battle with Chronic Pain.  Everything I am-it all comes from God and I choose to Honor Him and my prayers tonight are filled with Thanks to God-as I will always remember  "Yes, I did see that Man."

May God lift up all those suffering with Chronic Pain and hold you in His Loving Arms.

Martha




15 comments:

  1. "Sister-when times come along in life that make you feel like you just can't take it anymore-and you are feeling so sorry for how bad You have it--STOP--look around--
    this is when you will See Another person who is suffering a hundred times worse than you! Sister-this is the moment when you Count Your Blessings-thanking God for all you do have!"

    How wise your Dad was, Martha. I could take the lesson too, but still, it is hard to apply, hard to comprehend, when pain consumes us. I am a coward to pain too, Martha. Perhaps, I could never tackle the one that torments you.... even looking at another, and stopping for a while to pray for him and his own struggles..... still, it would be hard.

    Lord, we will never stop asking you for relief.... from this pain, even looking forward to the place where there's no more pain, being here in this tormented world, Oh God, please show us some measure of what your promises are.... right here in this world. I continue to raise up my prayer for Martha, God. You promised peace and lighter burden, please give this miracle to my dear friend, God.... even to all those who are wearing out pain everyday..... We ask you, Lord, with thanksgiving, In Jesus Name.....Amen, Amen, Amen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lolita-
      your words lift me up "God Please show some measure of what your promises are-here in this world." I know you have me lifted up in prayer as I do the same for you and last night, God was listening as HE always does-around 10:45pm,it started raining last night and that was my 'Pain Relief Moment" because I managed to sleep through the night!!

      I believe you are a strong woman Lolita-no doubts there-and I would never wish this Pain on anybody, yet my heart tells me that your inner spirit will guide you through all the ups and downs that come your way. God bless you for these loving words and I know my Dad is looking down and thinking "Sister, Sure is a blessing you have found so many friends who do Believe-so just hang in there, its all going to be fine,Sister!"

      Love you Lolita-truly. You are my blessing. Martha

      Delete
  2. Oh, Precious, SS Martha! I hold you close in my heart tonight. I could not sleep. I will say extra prayers for you tonight.

    I know what you mean about the crying. It's weird but a lot of times I think that way too. But, then, eventually, I get to a place where I just have to let it out. And it is comforting, soothing. So, those crazy old thoughts are from the enemy of our souls who wants to keep us from releasing it all.

    Thank you for writing this post. It gives us more of a glimpse into Martha's heart. And that means a lot. Because your heart is so precious.

    I will say good night, but know I'm praying for you to have some relief.

    God bless you! Sleep with Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane-
      Well just as I told Lolita, all of your prayers were heard last night and I managed to sleep through the entire night-a rare gift as it hasn't been coming my way lately.

      I can't explain it all-except to say that Writing my Blog about "When Can I Scream at Pain" helped to release so much pent-up anger and emotions-and as I fell to sleep, the "image" of seeing that Man-was right there, almost as if a strong reminder was being sent my way.

      May God lift all who must do battle with Chronic Pain-helping them to reach upward, asking God for help every second.

      My love is there for all of you! Martha

      Delete
    2. Dear God, I want to thank you, for the much-needed sleep Martha needed. Thank you that you have shown her, in so many ways, your leadings and bringing her closer to you and to us.

      Thank you, for hearing our prayers. Indeed, you are so real and merciful. Your faithfulness to us God could never compare to none. There is none like you. and we trust you in all things.

      Help us come into the place where you are. And as another day lights, we plea, moment by moment, for all those in chronic pain, in whatever level, find relief in the knowledge that you are with us, all the way. We claim your healing grace, Oh Father. Fill us with your love and grace and take away our troubled flesh.... You have said to Paul, "My grace is sufficient for you!" We know that God, but please grant us painless days and nights. Cradle us with your loving arms and make us rest in your merciful lap. We cast every pain, every care we have upon your yoke, Oh God. For in Jesus Christ's name we do believe in your miracles. Amen!

      I love you, my dear brave and sensitive sister friend, Martha.

      Delete
    3. Lolita-
      my sweet spiritual "sister in Christ"-these words of yours, praying and asking God to help us all who are suffering with the wicked Chronic Pain-I know God hears every word spoken by you.

      I can tell you that having to be in constant Pain-is so wearing on the person, in every manner possible and at times, all we can say in a prayer to God is "Please, God-HELP ME get Through This" and HE has kept me going.

      "My Grace is sufficient for you" oh how powerful that statement is and if we push everything else aside, and CLING to those words with FAITH-that perfect GRACE will keep us going. Tonight I spoke with the husband of a dear friend of mine and he too suffers with Pain-and believe me, his Pain is much, much worse than Mine! He asked me "Well, how BAD are you hurting?" Its amazing-he already knew Pain has been kicking me around, and I told him "Pretty bad, but I know you are suffering so much too!"

      We just lifted each other up and we both pray for each other-and I believe God hears our prayers and helps us ride these TOUGH times out.

      Lolita-you are an amazing woman-and I am thrilled to know you as my COF Sister! God has blessed me with you!!!

      Thank you for your love and support.

      Martha

      Delete
  3. Oh, Thank You, Lord!!!! I'm so glad you slept. I really prayed for that!

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane-
      Yes its amazing what SLEEP can do for the body! Today has been pretty rough-a bit lighter than yesterday but we have "RAIN" slowly approaching us-a small chance for it on Saturday (don't want to scare it away but that is the Wedding Day of Sheryl's Son) and then a much stronger chance for Rain both Sunday and Monday!

      This is part of the reason for my Pain being so bad right now-as that barometric pressure rises, so does my Pain. When I hit the bed last night, my leg was throbbing and suddenly I heard the Wind blowing really hard and then-the sound of RAIN. At the second that RAIN started, my PAIN relaxed to a level that probably allowed me to get needed rest. Its amazing about the weather--and thats why I think about using my BUTT-RO-METER!!

      I plan on just resting during the day tomorrow and then getting ready for the Rehearsal and Dinner.

      My sweet husband was sitting with me, watching the late news just a few moments ago and I leaned forward to tell him "HEH-I have plans on a DANCE with you Saturday and we have to make sure they play the SLOWEST SONG possible!!!!"

      Diane-its been SOOOO Long since we danced! I am praying for God to help me get through all this and just be able to dance in the gentle, loving arms of my husband!! YES-i already have someone lined up to get a picture!!!!

      Thank you dear Sister in Christ-for your prayers and love. Oh my, how blessed I am to have you in my life...

      martha

      Delete
    2. Please, show us as soon as it comes out..... I will be marking Saturday for that D-A-N-C-E.

      I like that..... wohooo!

      Delete
    3. Lolita-
      Well-I am hoping and praying we are able to DANCE!!! I got to meet with the wedding photographer tonight and told him, "please make sure you get a photo of us dancing! Its been YEARS since we danced and it was something we loved doing--so please I need a photo!!!

      Something tells me I will have a photo to share with ALL of you and if you listen HARD-who knows-You might just hear this old Texas Gal giving out one LOUD YAHOO---I DID IT!!!!!

      Love you Lolita, thank you for the prayers. Truly. Martha

      Delete
  4. Oh, that is my prayer too..that you can dance. Even if only for a few moments. Even if not, remember there will be another wedding between the bride of Christ and Christ...and I'm counting on dancing there!

    Thank you, Martha, for how you give words to what it is like to live inside our bodies; and also how you speak to how God IS faithful!

    Sorry, I'm kind of absent these days...a lot going on. Nothing bad, just over committed--so pain kicked in badly. Now,I'm resting--even going away a few days with my hubby to celebrate my birthday.

    Blessings to you, my friend--
    Judi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judi-
      I had a feeling you might be having a Hard time-can't explain it, but its just something I felt. Maybe its because I know for myself how this past week has been-we are on the verge of some weather changes and Lord-I am feeling every second of it-almost feeling like I know the exact moment things will cut lose around here and hopefully bring us RAIN. I don't like the PAIN but God, I praise the RAIN!!!!

      Glad to hear you are getting away for a bit-and may i wish you a joyous Birthday!! I thank God with all my heart for being blessed to know such a wonderful gal named Judi!!!

      Take care of yourself-please. Yes I know, there will be "another Dance" with the Lord one day--guess I am feeling a bit selfish, wanting to be able to dance with my husband. Yes-i am trying to re-claim a piece of me that Pain took. Guess we will have to see who WINS that battle!!! Let me put it this way-I will give it everything I have inside me, even if they have to play a song that puts people to SLEEP while we dance!!!!

      Its wonderful to hear from you Judi-please know-you aren't absent-there is a marvelous group of Christian Women, praying for you as your body is resting.

      Blessings for you Judi. I pray you feel better as time goes by.

      Love, martha

      Delete
  5. Yes, dear Martha, REST. And you will dance. And you will have testimony of God's Grace over you to get you through. I will also pray about the weather.

    God bless you. ENJOY!

    And when you're up to it, write me about the wedding!

    Love to you. Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane! I love how you said it 'And you will dance" and boy I am hoping it will happen. We have Rain coming and oh my gosh, this old body of mine is screaming, telling me "its getting closer" and in the meantime, PAIN...

      But tomorrow is a very special Day-and I will show the photos, even if i have to crawl around the dance floor.

      Love you. Martha

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete