Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Chronic Pain~~~a teaching tool?

My moments of escaping Chronic Pain are few~~happening only when I sleep peacefully on  a procedure table as My Pain Management Doctor  works  a bit of magic on my aching body.  New Pain terms keep arriving "Herniated  Disc in Neck, Degenerative Disc Disease" as I  shake my head slowly~~knowing a sudden movement  now  brings extra Pain.

We never know how our words will impact another~~as I arrived at the Pain Clinic, quickly checking  in, signing familiar  papers, the Receptionist watching carefully so every box  needed  is  checked--stops turning papers--"My kids were spending the weekend with my Parents.  When I got there to pick  them up, Grandma tells me the kids are climbing the huge Tree in the backyard!   All I  could  see in my mind was You, I screamed at them to get out of the tree and held my breath until  they were  safe  on the ground!"

She was rattled--worried I might be offended~~~but just the opposite as I  said "Thank You!"  We sat in silence and I  had to  ask how she felt when seeing her kids  up in a tree~~~words failed her and I  helped--"A Mom Never wants to see her child  suffering"  Tears were coming to the surface as I walked toward the doors of "Pain Relief"  she found her inner voice~~~
~~"Thank  You for being so strong--going beyond your Pain as your words help us learn"~~

Yes-Chronic Pain  can be a  teaching Tool--all I had to do was open up and share.  We never know when someone is  really listening.

For all who  struggle to find their way through Chronic Pain~~please know you are Not alone.

martha
















No comments:

Post a Comment