Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Hard Lessons at the Pain Clinic~~~~~~

Another visit to my Pain Doctor--seems I have hit a WALL--the intense burning has become unbearable--I just want it to Go Away--but reality tells me "Not going to Happen" so here  I am-seeking relief in the early hours, the waiting room already filled-my husband grabs the last two chairs---we both know this will be a  long day.   

A quick sign-in and the Pain Watch begins~~obvious suffering shows its ugly face--a woman appears to be so sleep-deprived, rubbing her back,  twisting in the chair as she struggles to find relief.  We sit near an older man who is very involved  in his IPAD, I think to myself--"good means of distraction from the Pain" --something pushes me to find out which game he is playing.   He calls it the Word Game~~tells me his daughter beats him all the time~~~but he smiles with joy at the memory.  His next words held the Hard Lesson "Well I am not into the games, but I have Alzheimer's and the Doctor tells me it  will help  "Slow" the worst part of this illness--so I play the game!"

There is an uncomfortable silence in the room~~~people have compassion~~but none of us want to walk in this man's shoes.  I ask how long he has been coming to our Pain Doctor~~"Oh,lets see--about  Five years now--she is wonderful.   How about you?"   It feels like all eyes are on me-waiting to hear my answer~~"For me, its been 18 years." The words hang there~~now he is looking at me as his question comes tumbling out- 

"What happened to you?"  I glanced at my husband, gaining courage to speak "Well--all I can say is Never  Climb a tree and fall out of it!"

Pain comes in many forms, bringing Suffering to so many.   Today I asked God to Please help this Man walk the Journey that waits for him.  

martha

No comments:

Post a Comment