Saturday, March 23, 2013

One of God's Best~~~~~

There are so many wonderful people  who cross our path in life, and sometimes we get lucky enough to not only meet them, but to have the chance to form special  bonds that  will stay with us forever.

My chance came when I got lucky enough to meet a gentle man named Vernon Schmidt-he was our neighbor, living with his wife of over 60+++ years and spent each day working in his shop, creating 
beautiful woodwork ranging from Crosses that catch your breath as you wonder how one with hands bent and worn from Age-could take his personal love for God and form a piece of wood  into a Spiritual reminder of true Faith.   

As time moved on, we formed a friendship~~I can see his gentle smile and twinkling eyes, eager to show me his latest creations-opening aged cabinet doors and pulling out  wooden toys, baskets, 3-D woodwork images~~all coming from his imagination, one that did not slow with age.  We got to know
each other- as I would spend time with him and his lovely wife, Hilda~~finding out about their love of dancing!   Yes-I did say Dancing, I never did see them dance together but people would talk about how they could "dance" younger couples off the floor--perhaps not by speed but simply wanting to keep going-cherishing the music.

Vernon taught me many lessons--love of God and family, doing a honest day of work, being proud of your work, helping out anybody in need~~the list went on and I took in his words, storing them deep in my heart, and doing my best to follow his example.  We became Friends-laughing and enjoying simple moments in life.  Today I said Goodbye to my dear friend~~Vernon passed away at the age of
99 years, and I know he is resting peacefully in Heaven.  

My heart  is heavy--but I am thankful for this man who passed  my way-I will  never forget him.

One of God's best~~~my friend Vernon. 

Martha

No comments:

Post a Comment