Saturday, March 10, 2012

The Joy of listening to rain

During the past year, many people have heard news reports of the severe drought Texas has been enduring. The terrible fires, too, that resulted in people losing their homes and all their possessions. Having been born and raised here, I must say it's the worst of weather conditions I have ever seen. We almost dread turning the evening news on because of what it will bring, another sad report of how dry this part of the country is.

Yet today, as I'm sitting in my office and treasuring the sound of plentiful rains and rolling thunder all about us, I'm thinking, "Well, this is not the typical weather predictions." But I could have already told the professional weather people that rain was definitely on the way because my Pain has been off the charts! This version of Pain is different than the regular everyday hurting as the weather is getting closer to us, my Pain keeps rising and will not slow down until the weather arrives!

I have been trying to stay busy, doing work on my computer, making cookies, watching a movie–anything to distract me from the burning Pain in my butt and leg. Yet I know, nothing is going to help it. I just have to ride my way through it and pray it will ease. So I decided to just stop and listen to this beautiful gift from the Lord, instead of trying to find "busy work" to help get my mind off the Pain.

People who know me say I am very much a typical "Martha, Martha" person, staying busy, wanting everything done proper, and getting frustrated easily. This led me back to the Bible verse where Jesus was at a wedding and Mary was sitting at His feet, exactly where she should be while Martha was running around, working and finally asking Jesus "why" Mary wasn't doing her share of work. Jesus let Martha know "Martha, Martha, why do you worry so much? Mary is at her Master's feet!" I have read this verse many times in my life, and the meaning hits me deep because I realize it's one of my biggest struggles in life: learning to just Stop, be still and listen.

As I heard the thunder continue to roll, something told me, "Just listen to this blessing." I knew in my heart where that suggestion was coming from. As the rain is running off our roof, it's a delightful sound, so delicate. Suddenly, childhood memories were filling me up. One day, while out with my dad, an approaching storm was coming. When the thunder crackled, I grabbed his big hand and clung to him, as tears started to flow down my cheeks. He knew how frightened his little girl was and took the time to give me his teaching version of the Lord. "Oh Sister, now don't be afraid of that thunder. Jesus is carrying a huge load of potatoes for people to eat, and He stumbled on a rock and all those potatoes just came rolling out. That's why we hear thunder!"

Those words calmed my fears instantly. Now, as the years have passed, each time I hear thunder, my heart goes back to that special moment when I needed comfort, and my Dad gave it me in such a loving way. He did not attend church. But without a doubt, he was filled with a deep love for the Lord and shared it in the only way he knew how. Dad didn't have much education. He only got through the eighth grade because he had to drop out when his mother died and he was needed at home to help take care of the other children.

So today I sit here and treasure the gift of rain and thunder, the blessings of cherished memories. By His grace, I will tolerate the Pain that is with me today. This is not an easy task to accomplish, but I will find my way as I thank God for the rains and giving me this day, filled with the simple joy of hearing the sound of rain.

8 comments:

  1. Funny, I was told thunder was the angels bowling. I wonder who was right...LOL...

    Thank you for being so transparent with your struggles. I'm happy that you stopped to listen to the rain and that it brought you joy.

    I'm happy for Texas that it rained that hard. Praise God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane-
    What an interesting take on Thunder-"Angels Bowling! I love it and try to imagine how that bowling game might work. Today my dear husband went with a lot of people from our church to visit a group of churches in Texas called "The Painted Churches" and they are breath-taking in their beauty and many of them have been standing for over a hundred years. I could not make the trip as being on a bus for that long would have done me in, but as the day unfolded, I realized being here at home was exactly where the Lord wanted me to be.

    Its not always easy to be so up front with my struggles but this is a part of my life and I am learning true acceptance as I read about all the others out there who suffer with Chronic Pain.

    Yes-Texas is a very happy place today because of the nourishing rains we got. I agree with your words, Praise God.

    Thank you always for commenting on my blog, it touches me deeply to see how this amazing circle of sharing continues to evolve.

    Much Love and Blessings. Martha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will google the painted churches. Thanks!

    I love that you call it a 'circle of sharing"....I think I will use that if you don't mind. Love to you and God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diane-
    please feel free to use "circle of Sharing" because thats exactly what it feels like to me.

    God blessed us with MORE Rain last night as my Buttrometer was screaming at me--"its Coming!" Before I knew it, the familiar sound of rumbling Thunder was here in the wee hours of the morning. This part of Texas is thrilled to have gotten this much rain.

    Hope you do get to check out the Painted Churches--they are amazing and none of these churches have a large membership--they just work for the Lord. Love, martha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, the rain. There is so much of a stilling-quality in the pitter-patter of rain upon the roof. It even lulls me to sleep with a smile on my lips. Rain also is welcome here in our country which is also close to the equator. March is a fire month here and since the first day of this month, almost everyday, we here fire on tv and even fire engines on the streets. The rain also brings the farmers the most coveted supply for their crops.

    You are right in just rejoicing on the rain, and being still and pondering on the happy recollections from childhood. We too think of the crack of thunder as God and the angels "bowling" up in the heavens. Funny!

    About the circle of sharing, I am most joyful to be in it too.

    Martha, God's grace is with you every moment. I pray that the pain would ease up and make you able do things you love to do.

    As for being a typical Martha, I too am like that. I even had to reflect upon it because I was already obsessive(OCD). I needed to slow down myself. It was more tiresome for me without anything to do. But after the mild stroke, I really had to stop. After that I gave value to rest and quiet moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lolita-
      I tried to reply back to you two days ago, and with my Pain being off the charts, somehow in my excitement to answer you back, i pushed a wrong button and lost my response!! That is frustrating to me but something told me "don't worry, you can respond back again" and so here i am.. I loved your comments about the rain and learning about March being a time for Fires in your country, and the Sound of Thunder being like an "Angelic Bowling Game!"

      I agree about the Circle of Sharing-and it is a joy to be a part of it. What a blessing to know we can lift each other up during the bad times, cry at the heartbreaking times, and laugh together at the joyful times.

      Thank you for your prayers about my Pain-and I feel these prayers will be a great help in lifting me out of my Pain Chair so I can make slow attempts at some outside PLAY! I had to type the word like that because for me to make Peace with giving up the things I so enjoyed, I need to take a much different look at it!

      God bless you for helping me to do that and for sharing about your stroke, and how you had to slow down. Hearing of another person's tough trials-truly humbles me and thats when I am giving time to just Stop and reflect.

      Blessings and Love, Martha

      Delete
  6. I just looked up these awesome houses of worship...some of them take your breath away. I hope Matt enjoyed the tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane-
      So glad you got to view the churches-they do take your breath away and its amazing to find out that for several of these churches, their membership is very small and yet they work so hard to keep
      their house of Worship looking beautiful so others can share in it. Matt did enjoy his trip, but wished I could have been with him. I felt the same.

      love, martha

      Delete