Saturday, March 24, 2012

Meeting God at a very "young" Age!

I grew up in the country, living on a 1000 acres of land that my parents had leased from a good man who lived nearby us.  We could spend the entire day going around to check on the vast array of farm animals that my Dad kept careful watch on.  In the mid 1950's farmers could actually make a living from having large numbers of livestock because money was made from the wool sheared each year from the sheep, mohair sheared from goats and then taking young cows to market, trading them and always buying more.  It still amazes me as to how my Dad managed all this as he also held a full-time job, working at a large lake area on floating barges that worked with the local University for Naval Experiments.

My Mom made sure to have us all in Sunday School and Church each Sunday and I  recall hearing Bible stories about God, how great His Love was for each of us, and learning the Ten Commandments at a very young age, thinking "These are very important and I do NOT want to make God angry at me-Ever!"  I was learning so much about God in my "head" but being so young, still did not know Him in my "heart" and would think  something was Wrong with me for not feeling the "Love" of God.  At the time I was Six years old and a guilt seemed to grow bigger each day inside me, thinking "I am a bad person, and God must really be Mad at Me because I don't know how to Love Him yet!"

I read the Bible, always asking my parents about numerous verses, and would listen intently as they gave me a lesson they thought a Child could understand.  I  recall being outside-surrounded by hundreds of sheep and goats, "talking to God"-hoping this would help me find that special Love-but it seemed to elude me and I would cry myself to sleep at night, hoping the next day would open my heart to God.

Little did I know, my lesson was just days from being revealed to me-I had a dear cousin who was one year older than me and we loved each other like sisters.  She would visit often as our days were filled with glorious play, having a special "tea party for two" in which we laughed and acted so "grown-up" yet surrounded by all our special Dolls who served as the Observers for our Tea Party.  We would plan on how to arrange to go back home with the other, finding an old worn suitcase, filled with our clothes and have it hidden, but within quick grasp as we started to "beg" our parents to allow us another day or two of being together.

Children don't really comprehend serious illness-for me to hear a child had Measles, it meant they had to stay in bed, with the room darkened until the illness finally passed.  It was simple to me and I assumed each child made a rapid recovery-but my eyes and heart were suddenly opened one day when a phone call came late one night and  watched my Mom speaking, somehow knowing the news was very bad.

She quickly packed the "familiar suitcase" with clothes for me, telling me I would be spending the night at our neighbors house.  I recall tugging on the hem of her dress, begging to know what was wrong and finally she looked down with tears flowing and said "Your Cousin is very sick and we need to get to the hospital fast!"  My heart was pounding as we jumped into our old vehicle and headed to the neighbors house.  Everything moved so Fast-but there was a moment when we reached the neighbors and Mom began giving more details as to what was so terribly wrong with my dear Cousin.  She must have thought I was out of earshot but "God" had me standing close enough to hear "Her Cousin has the Measles and they settled on her brain.  She is in a Coma and has only a few hours left to live!"  

That was it-Mom patted me on the head, told me to be a good girl and she was gone!  My heart was broken and I didn't know how my life could go on without my dear cousin beside me.  Something told me the neighbor could see this load of fear inside a little girl and I recall how gently she tucked me into bed, and at this second-my heart opened up and I asked her "Do you think if I pray really Hard for my Cousin that God will let her Live?"  To this day I can recall her standing over me, trying so hard to keep her composure and not let a child see more tears from an adult-she paused for the longest time and finally said "Well of course you should pray-God will Hear your words and it will help!"

She flipped the light off and I began to pray, but God seemed so Far away from me and I felt my praying had to be really "Strong" so He would hear my words of prayer.  But as I started to pray, there was no strength in my words, instead God heard a tiny girl, crying from deep within her soul as she prayed "Dear God-this is Martha-I am sorry that I don't know how to Love you yet but Please I really Need you to run to the hospital and Heal my Cousin-do not take her away from me!"

Instantly all my Fear was gone and in its place was an amazing warmth in my heart- "Love for God" had reached my young heart and I went to sleep with the most peaceful feeling inside-knowing my Cousin was going to be okay.  The night flew by and Mom was there early to pick me up-again God gave me all I ever needed to Love Him-as Mom told the Neighbor"We had a Miracle last night! The Doctors came out and told us there was only an hour left so we needed to all be with her!" He asked us to wait for a few moments before we went in and we all stood there, holding each other up-but the Doctors appeared again and had a look of shock on their faces as they said "We do not have any clue as to what just happened, but this child is alive, out of her coma and is speaking, asking for all of you-so all we can say is God must have been  listening to your prayers!"

From that day forward to now, my heart has always remained united in love with God!  I spoke to him with a child's heart and He filled that heart with Love that will never leave and taught me about Miracles.  My Cousin did have a hard recovery, but she is alive and well today with no memory of what happened to her so many years ago.  I will always remember that day-because its the day I fell truly in Love with God and He saved my precious cousin.  

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this wonderful story of God's miraculous grace-giving love! So glad he healed your cousin as he also grew your faith!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judi-
    Thank you for this lovely response. It was a time in my life that had a major impact on my faith life and I loved how you put it, "He also Grew your Faith!" So very true. Yes my dear Cousin is alive and thriving, has several grandkids now and enjoys her life to the fullest. What better blessing could she have.

    Please take care of YOU. My prayers are there for you.

    Love, Martha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is such a great miracle story, Martha. I love how you prayed for your cousin, then. So honest and simple. Indeed, a child's pure heart would never escape God's loving attention.

      Your cousin was surrounded with God's angels ready for your good claims for her life. Plus the fact that He also answered your quest to know His very heart-experience His love.

      I thank God for His grace and mercy, which endureth forever, giving you and your cousin a joyful growing-up together, precious times shared. And He gave you above all, faith and courage which beats all odds.

      My love to you, dear Martha.

      Delete
    2. Lolita-
      Bless you for this beautiful comment as to this being a great miracle story! For me as a young child, waking up the next morning after Praying so hard the night before and hearing my Mom say "Well, We had our miracle last night" I can still recall this instant feeling inside my heart and looking up to the Heavens, thinking- "HE is Real---HE is REAL!!!" My first true understanding of the Glory and Grace of God. All we ever need do is talk to Him from the heart-we might not have our prayers answered the way we want-but I do know every single Prayer is heard!

      Bless you for these loving words and I send my love to you. Martha

      Delete
  3. Oh Martha! You do make me laugh at times, but you also write in such a manner that I'm brought to tears. This is no exception. Thank you for sharing this important moment in your life. What a special heart you had at such a young age! I just want to jump and shout, "Hallelujah!" And I'm so glad to get to know you in this special way. He called you as intercessor even at that young age, Martha! wow...

    I have a story that I know you will appreciate.

    It was Christmas Eve morning, when I was 16. My mother was in the hospital (one of many) again with severe, chronic Chrones Disease. Athe call came from the doctor that morning. "You need to come right away." My mother's brother had flown in from Okinawa. i was told that he just came to visit. I was not aware that my mother was a death's door. We all went up to the hospital, but us children weren't allowed in her room. My father and uncle came out crying. My father told us that she wouldn't make it through the night.

    The rest of the day was a blur. But, we kept our Christmas tradition of going to the 11 PM candlelight service on the Eve. My parents were active in our little local community church. Everyone knew everyone. We walked down the isle to go sit up front and everyone was crying. The pastor even broke down several times during the service. I sat in the front row wondering, What is wrong with these people? Don't they believe? Isn't Jesus the God of miracles?

    I prayed. I believed.

    We left church after all the "condolences" by our church family. As we walked in the door of the house, the phone was ringing. My father said, "Here it comes". (Meaning the call that mom had passed). He took the call, and I tried to console my uncle. My father got off the phone, completely stunned and said the doctor told him, "We have no idea what happened to Mary tonight. She was at death's door, but suddenly, all her vitals returned to normal. I don't know what happened, but I do know that Mary isn't going to die tonight."

    My mother recoverd, came home, and lived another three years.

    Oh, the prayers of a child!

    Bless you for this wonderful story that gives all glory to our God of miracles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane-
      Now I am the one who is stunned as your personal story touches me so deeply. For a child or a young teenager-having to face the thought of death-for you a Mother--what amazing FAITH you had already alive and thriving within your heart. Miracles do happen-that I know for sure as my health battles from numerous surgery complications took me so close to the edge. I know people were praying for me and God heard those prayers. I especially love your comment "Oh, the Prayers of a Child!" So precious and true. Please know I 'TRESURE" your sharing this story with me and my dear friend, as we grow in friendship, learning about each other helps the Love we have glow with a loving light!

      God bless you dear Diane. Love, Martha

      Delete
  4. "Dear God-this is Martha-I am sorry that I don't know how to Love you yet but Please I really Need you to run to the hospital and Heal my Cousin-do not take her away from me!" This made my eyes well up with love for that little girl you were and the wee one in the hospital! Thank you for sharing this wonderful story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Veronica-
      Bless you for these loving words! At that time I was so young that God seemed as huge and unknown to me as the "Loud Booming Voice Behind the Curtain" in the Movie, The Wizard of Oz!! So maybe my little heart was thinking "I had better tell God my name-so HE will know me!" I chuckle at that thought now as it hits me, HE knew me long before that particular moment in time when I needed help for my dear cousin!!

      Faith-what a journey we are on as our Faith is tested, and then we feel assurance as our prayers are answered. I am sure there are many times when we don't even have a clue God answered our prayers.

      Thank you so much for these loving words. Martha

      Delete
    2. I know, right? It's so cute to hear a little one telling God who's talking! Hang in there, sweet Martha!

      Delete
  5. Veronica-
    Yes it still amazes me about this long ago time when this little girl thought "Better Tell God my Name!" My heart was breaking at that moment and I did NOT want my sweet cousin to die!

    Now as my life has advanced and I am dealing with this Chronic Pain, having days of real Anger-it feels like God is saying to me "Martha, Martha, Martha-why do you protest So Much?" Trust me-when this feeling hits me, it has a way of stopping me in my Anger Tracks and humbles me deeply! Then I look up toward the Heavens and say with all honesty
    "Yes Lord, I know, I know, I know-Sorry!"

    I will hang in there-because I Do Not Quit!! By the Grace of God.

    Have a beautiful day Veronica! Martha

    ReplyDelete