Friday, March 16, 2012

Take all the Rules Out!

You never know where blogging will take you. For me, it's taken me beyond my chair where I sat for so long, wrapped in Chronic Pain and allowing it to win. Those were some of my darkest days, and I missed so much because I felt trapped, thinking there was nothing I could do now except live and fight with Pain. Yet God saw more inside me and sent a very dear friend who I think of as my true sister. She lovingly opened my heart to the idea of starting a blog about my Pain. When she first approached me about it, I felt true anger toward her but kept it silent and just listened to her gentle persuasion. Finally, I gave in, thinking that nobody would ever read anything I write, but maybe it would help get my mind away from the Pain.

Now I fast forward to this day, and it's amazing how far my blogging has taken me. Even though I hardly ever can travel, my words have gone around the world, and I have formed bonds with other women who suffer with Chronic Pain and live in places I could only dream about. Now "Lolita" shares her beautiful part of the world with me, and "Diane" tells me about the extreme winters in her part of the country. Then I was blessed to meet "Judi," a woman who suffers with tremendous physical Pain and yet is so strong in Faith, looking to God to guide her through each day.

Gifts have come my way from blogging and given me an inner strength to try new things, not to be afraid of maybe goofing up now and then but at least finding the courage to Try. Today, I walked into our local library for a meeting of their Oral History Project, of which I am a member and do interviews with people of all ages and walks of life. There on the bulletin board was an invitation to "Come Join our Writers Club." I could not take my eyes from the words. Should I dare try this? What will people think of my writing? Then I noticed the subject for the next class "Take all the Rules Out," and it pulled at me!

Somehow a little voice inside me was speaking and saying, "What can it hurt Martha? Why not try doing it!" And my decision was made as I requested an application to enter my name in the club. We had our meeting, and I must say my mind was not on target as all I could think about was the subject of  "Take all the Rules Out." My focus was on applying that title to how I live with Chronic Pain. I found myself thinking about times I didn't follow the rules, not listening to my doctor's advice, being stubborn and refusing to  give up doing things that were only causing me greater Pain.

My mind went back in time to the day I fell from the tree and knew "that was definitely a day in which I cast all Rules aside." Now I live each day with the results of my poor decision. What happens in life when we take all the rules out of how we live? Nobody is crazy about rules, but there is a purpose for them being there so that we can make our choices. I contemplate about the "Free Will" God gives to us as He watches over us, loving us as we go about our lives, and observing as we make our choices.

So I already can see that my taking a place in this writing class will probably get started with a bang because I choose not to toss out all the Rules! For me, some of these Rules are the most important in my life, starting with the Ten Commandments, having been taught by my Parents and with each lesson, recalling them teaching me about how God's amazing Love is within each of the Commandments. I can close my eyes and still hear my Mom giving her twist on this particular rule, "Turn the other cheek, always, but you better be ready to get Whip Lash!" Gradually, her meaning settled inside me, and I understood the hard part of turning the other cheek. I treasure my parents for having the faith to teach me these lessons because I know this is part of who I am. I am not ashamed of my spiritual life and could not make it through this life without God right beside me.

It will be an interesting journey for me as I attempt to take a writing class, but I go into it with no expectations, just joy at having come this far in my life and having the spirit inside me to give it a go, meet new people and learn about their own personal journey.

10 comments:

  1. Martha, I am very happy you joined the Writing Club. Go, my dear, go with all of God's blessings.

    I can't wait to be able to read what you will write. It would be a lot of things about your life that I would like to know closely.

    My warmest of thoughts, for you and Matt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lolita for your loving response. I know your prayers go with me and it will be exciting to see how it goes.

      Thank you for the words of support. I am so blessed to have you in my "circle!"

      Love, Martha

      Delete
  2. P.S.

    I want to add this one. Got it from a Multiply friend.

    Enjoy Life More with this Rule

    “The fewer rules the better.”

    "When it comes to the rules you have about how life should be or how other people should behave, the less you have the easier it is to be happy. Why? Because, when you cease to impose unrealistic expectations on people and on life, you not only reduce the likelihood of disappointment, you also let go of unnecessary stresses and false demands.

    Instead of always trying to channel life, ease up and go with the flow. Enjoy what comes your way. Try your hardest to accept people as they are and try not to force them into your own mold. Celebrate their individual differences.

    Greet life’s surprises with joy and excitement, and you’ll end up with a more fulfilling life than was ever written in the rules!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lolita-
      God bless you for sending this extra part to your comment-"the less Rules you have, the easier it is to be happy!" Its amazing because my dear husband is always talking to me about this. Telling me to just "Chill"-relax and let things go by without feeling the need to make adjustments as to how I feel they should be. I especially love "Go with the flow" and helps to open my mind to others. It will be my joy to share some of my writing with this class!

      It should be interesting to say the least. I am touched by your words as they are full of deep meaning and yet so very easy to understand.

      Love to you for this wonderful response!
      Martha

      Delete
  3. WAHOO!!!! Can you hear me cheering???? WAHOO!

    I'm so proud of you. May this be a wonderful experience for you. May your writing flow ever freer.

    Hallelujah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane-
      Yes my dear friend, i can truly HEAR your Cheers for me! Believe me, it was a big step for me as I am not one to just jump out and try something new-especially with people in the class who I don't know. But this might prove to be an amazing lesson for me and I do believe the Lord has guided me toward it.

      God bless dear friend and much love. Martha

      Delete
  4. Let me add how proud I am too!! I tend to be one of those people who like to seek forgiveness rather than to ask permission...which gets me into trouble. It's my stubborn willfulness, of which God continues to humble me through this illness--for good. Thank you for this blog. And, yes! I too want to read your writings!!

    (and thanks for the kind words about me-it sure uplifted my day--it's not been one of my best. I don't consider myself to be very spiritually strong--but am glad you find something of value that God does in my pain journey!)

    So glad to be your friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Martha,

    Please forgive me if the above "Rules" I forwarded to you was focused on one's standard for others. I know, and deeply believe, you are not like that in terms of your outlook in others' behavior. It was so silly of me to send it.

    My only intention was for you to loosen yourself and not look so much on the standards you impose on yourself, or which may limit yourself. It is obvious that I did not read out the whole paragraph. I acted on impulse just by seeing the intro.... and because you were talking about
    "Taking all the Rules Out," which, of course, was meant for the Literary Entries or membership. It was such an ill-thrown humor.

    Sorry, and please forgive me. Please don't make an offense about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lolita-
      Okay now do not worry about me getting offended as to any of your comments, because I treasure them and learn from your opinions. My
      skin is pretty "thick" as they say here in Texas and its only that way because of being treated harshly by people doing the exact thing you were speaking of-lashing out at me because I would not change my beliefs and act the way they thought I should. It has amazed me over the years as to how uncaring people are toward those of us who are suffering with Physical Pain. Its almost as if they are afraid if they get too close, some of the Pain might rub off on them. I have told many people over the years "This Pain I live with, I swear to you that I would not wish it on my Worst Enemy!" Seems to get their attention.

      You said nothing wrong my dear friend and this is what we do "sharing within our Circle" as we feel free enough to open up and be honest. I was worried when I left the comment about my memories of my Dad during WWII-not wanting it to offend you as I have no idea how your country has suffered. That was one of the amazing things My Dad always did-he never spoke ill of anybody that he had to face in battle during that terrible period.

      We are fine my friend. Keep being honest and open. It helps me to learn more about you and I will do the same.

      God bless and much love, Martha

      Delete
  6. Judi-
    I believe we strengthen each other by the sharing done as we read each others blogs. It is an amazing teaching tool and my dear, never doubt your spiritual Strength-it seems to just flow with such ease. That doesn't mean it makes the really BAD DAYS easier-but I think this is when we are clinging to the Lord-even though we might not have much in us to cling with.

    As to your being stubborn-oh my goodness, my husband says I am without question one of the most stubborn women he has ever known and when I dig my heels in, oh my-I am the only one who can loosen them up!

    Hang tough Judi! You are in my prayers. Martha

    ReplyDelete