Saturday, March 3, 2012

One simple word...Prayer

This past week was not one of my best because I had to search out an intestinal doctor to find out what was causing my severe heartburn. Nobody enjoys medical tests, and I found myself facing an endoscopy. But since I had one years ago, somehow I managed to keep a tiny grip on my nerves.

We had to be at the facility by 6:45 a.m. Every person in there looked sleepy, grumpy, and wanted to be back in their beds, sleeping. My name was called. I gave my dear husband a quick peck on the cheek and started to follow the nurse. This was the moment Nerves rose up in me as I whirled around and almost yelled back at my husband, "Please pray for me!" It was loud enough for every sleep-deprived person in the room to hear my desperate request, and it hit me this room had grown very silent. People looked at me and probably wondered, "How bad is it behind those doors because this woman really looks scared!"


What a tremendous impact one simple, yet powerful word has on people! Prayer. People seem to understand the meaning that word carries, and I had the feeling some strangers in that room might be saying a silent word of Prayer for me. I felt grateful. Things moved along, and, before I knew it, my turn had come for the procedure to begin. My nerves were all over the place! I had not met this doctor before because she'd been a referral given to me by my general MD. Over the years in dealing with Chronic Pain and trips to the hospital, it's very uncomfortable not already knowing the doctor who you are about to entrust your life to. My mind was racing as to how I would introduce myself to her, wanting so badly to somehow let her know "I am so frightened. Please take great care of me!" 


Little did I realize the Lord had already given me what I needed to say. After the doctor introduced herself to me, I didn't hesitate. "Are you a Praying woman?" She stopped cold and could easily hear the determined manner in which I asked my question. Without any hesitation, she said a firm "Yes" to my question, giving me great comfort. My eyes had locked onto her face, and I said, "Good! I need to say a word of Prayer for myself because I am very worried about this procedure." The attending medical people in the room had stopped everything and stood silent, probably wondering what was going to happen next. So I quickly said, "Please, Dear Lord, let this test go well, and the results be good."  


I turned to the Doctor and noticed her head was bowed in Prayer. I told her "Let's get this done!" The room now seemed so peaceful, and I knew there were Precious hands holding me up. The Lord knew my fears before I uttered them and gave me the word I needed that day. Before I knew it, the doctor was at my side, letting me know the test was over. Then she said the words I had longed to hear: "Martha, there was no sign of cancer. You have acid reflux really bad!" My head leaned against her shoulder, and all I could say was Thank You, Lord! My heart had been filled with deep fear of having cancer because my father had a history of it. And no matter how hard my dear husband tried to assure me all would be okay, I saw things in a bad light.

One Simple Word...Prayer...was all I needed to grab onto and to have trust in the words I prayed. I have leaned hard on Prayer all my life, and on this day, as my fears ran rampant, this amazing word, Prayer, began to remove all my fear. Something tells me I probably kept my Guardian Angels very busy that day, too.

We all need Prayer in our lives, no matter how the words are offered up. The Good Man Above is always listening!

God Bless each of you.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, Martha! Amen to that!!! I know God surrounded you with His angels in that room and He guided the doctor's hands.

    I praise God for your boldness to have done that! I'm proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane-
      I don't know if it was boldness or just plain Fear and oh how I wanted to know the Lord was standing right beside the doctor! After I prayed, it was unreal as to how quickly this sense to PEACE settled upon me and I was ready to let go and trust HIM to watch over the Doctor.

      It was amazing to see how people react to that word-PRAYER. It tells me we need to be saying and doing it a lot more!

      Thank you Diane for these loving words.

      Blessings and Prayers always. Martha

      Delete
  2. A wise woman, Jennifer Rothschild, who became blind as a teenager and wrote a book, Lessons Learned in the Dark said something like this that has stuck with me, "Fear is the natural reaction to many of life's situations, but trust is the believer's supernatural choice to them." Prayer builds our trust, don't you think?

    You did "good", my sojourner--I hope I will be as bold the next time I am afraid like this!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judi-
    What an amazing statement "Prayer builds our Trust" and YES- I agree with you and the wise woman, Jennifer Rothschild. When we finally let all the barriers down and KNOW-Lord I am nothing without you, please Help me! He Hears all of our prayers and something tells me from having read many of your Blog postings, you are already one very BRAVE woman-filled with love and Humor, all given to you by the Lord.

    Thank you for these powerful words-they lift me up and inspire me to keep going to that word PRAYER and then speak directly from my heart to the Lord.

    You are in my prayers always.

    Martha Herden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say, Amen. I like this too, "Prayer builds our trust." We are so blessed to have this channel available. It's like having a direct phone line to heaven and there are millions of switchboard connections to get to our Father. There is a ready 911 for emergencies. Just dial Jer. 6:33.

      Thank you, dear God, that we can just breathe out our petitions up the heavens, and You hear us, You have been ahead of us, while You are always with us. Thank you for your angels too, in meek attendance, always surrounding us in our every ordeal. And one thing more, thanks that Martha tested clear for what she feared for. Amen.

      Delete
  4. Lolita-
    I am very grateful for your thanking the Lord that my tests were clear-as I had been so concerned this might be Cancer. The night before this test, I was working away on my computer, teeth gritted in fear of what the news might be and suddenly-I stopped, and prayed HARD. My prayer was simple, as I asked the Lord to please let the test go safely and let the results be good! He heard me and answered my prayers. I now have one more test--and it will be on March 27th-again my prayers are for this one to be clear to. If you don't mind, I could use a prayer on that day, and I thank you for the prayers I know you will be saying.

    God bless you. martha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my sister in Christ. I will carry it to God in prayer. We will all look upon Him, our Divine Healer.

      Delete