Sunday, August 4, 2013

Having to let go of a Hug~~~

Writing from the Heart-Martha Herden

Our church had its yearly fund raiser last night~~many from the community arriving as  loving Hugs are shared, along with good food, laughter, friendly bidding during a Live Auction.  My husband  begged me all week "We should Not go~~~Somebody is going to grab you for a Hug, your Neck will only get worse!"  

I listened to his fears, changing my mind a dozen times~~and decided PAIN was not going to rob this night from us.  A table was waiting for us as dear friends gathered around~~laughter began to flow and I could feel all the tension drain away.  Many began to reach for me--wanting to share a Hug with me~~they stopped--as my hand went up~ "Bad Neck ahead-do Not Hug this Woman!"

My heart ached~~a gentle Pat on my shoulder will be my "Hug" now~~my husband watched a flash of Sadness cross my face~~our eyes locked, as I felt silent words "I love you" flowing between us.  We have already faced "Letting Go of our Hugs"~~yet  our Love is strong and we walk the path of  Pain together, knowing HE is beside us each second of the day..

Thank you God.  

martha

4 comments:

  1. Oh Martha this one broke my heart. For so many the time has come to let go of hugs. I remember Ace Mom was so frail, that when her son picked all 70 pound of her to put her in a comfortable chair it broke her pelvis. Due severe arthritic to even hug her was painful to her. Know many hug you in prayer though and watch out in heaven, all hugs go to Martha...and it won't be painful my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet Betty--
      How you always lift my spirits up!!! Yes--this is not easy to deal with--but its life and thank goodness for Matt--he is so gentle and actually afraid of hurting me. With this many years of marriage under our belt---38---we find our way through all the ups and downs....

      I will take all the prayers---so thankful to have them. Physical Therapy starts at 7:00am in the morning, we live about 50 miles away so it will be a long day... WIsh i knew what to expect--last night was an ALL-NIGHTER---no sleep from my butt pain driving me to distraction... I sat in my CHAIR---it did help me and just did some reflecting, praying, and finding a way to keep Accepting this rough siege of Pain....

      Love you dearly Betty. martha

      Delete
  2. This so reminded me of my mother. When I was a teen, she was on heavy-duty meds for Crohns Disease. Her bones became so fragile that a hug would break them. I remember well the hand up. Although, at the time, I didn't understand.

    Now I do...thank you for that. (Better late than never, I guess.)

    And yes, as Betty said, so many send hugs. I do hope you feel them in your heart. And yes, in Heaven, you will be the hugging machine!

    How I've missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diane-
    I know you understand~~~imagine a person telling you "shut up about your Neck--there is nothing wrong and we are Sick of your hand going up!" I did NOT slink off--but stood my ground and said "YES-there is a major problem with my Neck and you should be more respectful." Sort of a change in old MARTHA---but I was proud of my response... I do feel the HUGS coming my way---truly.... love you so,martha

    ReplyDelete