Monday, November 12, 2012

A Spiritual Moment at the Grocery Store~~~

 I can hear the thoughts- "Wait a minute, how can crowded isles, people pushing all around, waiting in long lines, not finding the exact item you need~~were is the Spiritual Moment in this?"  If anyone would have told me something special was going to come my way while at the Grocery Store~~ I would have probably laughed at them~~~ but God can be found anywhere, even while standing in line at a Grocery Store Pharmacy.

I had decided to move my medical prescriptions closer so we could avoid a 45 minute drive and was very nervous about the decision.  A man stood in front of me~~something was different about him-he began a conversation with me- "You need to speak with someone here who knows what they are doing!  Today they have a small crew working-so be thorough in explaining what you need."  It was like he knew  my thoughts-as if he sensed all my fears~~speaking  the words I wanted to say! He stepped forward toward a clerk and I heard a voice saying "Next in line please."  I felt the urge to thank him-but he had suddenly vanished~~ almost like a strong wind had suddenly blown by and took him away!

My thoughts were turned upside down now as a lovely young woman smiled at me (the man's words ringing in my head) I began to explain my purpose for being there.  I struggled to find "thorough words" for needing to  move my prescription for Pain Medication, and how worried I was about things getting messed up.  Little did I know~~there was No cause for worry as she gently said "Yes I truly understand your fears-when you are in Chronic Pain its vital to keep your Pain under control and I promise this will be handled properly."  It was like she knew me~~and understood the journey I have traveled with Pain~~her beautiful eyes never left mine as a sudden feeling of Peace washed over me and I relaxed.

I gave no thought to anyone else standing behind me- Time had stopped and just the two of us were in this amazing moment of sharing.  Suddenly I asked "How would you have any idea about Chronic Pain, being so young?"  Those eyes fixed straight on mine,  her voice softened as she shared with me "I had Cervical Cancer~~ Radiation was very Painful so I needed Pain medication-believe me I do understand!"  My heart started to break~~it felt like I was watching a  window flying by~~seeing other Pain coming her way~~ the loss of  children~~ the fear of  Cancer returning. I could not stop the tears pouring from my heart, I couldn't speak~~ instead I pounded my Cane against the floor in Anger and Hurt for the Painful life already faced by one so very young.  

Her eyes were cast down as she worked to control tears~ I struggled to pull myself together~~our eyes met again as I braved cautious words "What about Children?"  I hated myself for speaking them but she never wavered-telling me her doctors had done a different form of Radiation to give her body a chance at bearing children, and she was trying In-Vitro Fertilization~now it was up to God.  Adoption was also a avenue for the future.  Now I had my eyes locked with hers~~so many unspoken words were said.  Too many.

God was there with us-two women~ different in age, but very familiar with Pain.  The young woman knew our time was done and said "Its all going to be fine!"  I faced the angry line,smiled and said~~
                                                       "Sure hope you all have a Great Day!"

All I can say is keep your eyes and heart open~~~you never know what can happen at the Grocery Store!

God be with all who are suffering with physical and emotional Pain.  I do keep you in my prayers.

martha

6 comments:

  1. Woo hoo for those grocery store encournters. God putting hurting people in our way just so we can give out some understanding...bless you Martha for being so open to His plan for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Betty~~
      All I can say is this moment of being with a young woman who has suffered so MUCH-yet stood there with me, a glorious smile on her face and she gave me such assurance all would be fine with me transferring my prescription.

      She called me the NEXT morning-again to assure me and relieve any fears I was having!! Now the man who was there and then just GONE- I can't explain it--who knows, angel?? it was the WAY he spoke to me-seemed to know my thoughts perfectly.

      It stunned me as my heart opened and the tears started flowing-I fight crying like a tiger~~~but I must say, I am losing this silly battle and starting to understand how I need to let things go and cry at times.

      One grocery store visit i shall NEVER forget!!

      love & blessings, Martha

      Delete
  2. Wow. What an awesome story, Martha. All these Divine Appointments you have...I know, just as you won't forget them, the others in the stories won't either. Your heart of compassion and kindness can never be forgotten. You have touched so many - just by being you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane-
      This moment stands out strong in my heart!! I had no idea of something like this happening-it just felt like God was leading every moment of it.

      I don't know about me having touched people--thats a very wonderful compliment. Maybe its because my heart has this way of "sitting on my sleeve" and I always "speak" with my heart.....

      These are loving words you have sent me and I am very touched!!

      Just keep us both in prayer today as we are preparing to leave and go see JACKIE perform tonight!!!! This too seems almost like a dream--but I really believe its going to happen!!

      I promise to tell everyone about it! Hugs and love, martha

      Delete
  3. Martha, the man who was in line with you... this story reminds me of the one I have coming out in Chicken Soup soon. Because he told you just what you needed to do, to bring peace, in the same way the man came to speak into my old high school friend when we had a car accident. I didn't drive yet, she came from an abused situation, and neither of us knew what to do. A "man" appeared out of nowhere and told her, you need to do this and this and this. Don't worry... And then seemed to vanish. I believe we have angels all around us and this happens more than we know... I love these kind of stories. Even if he was just a man, God sent his words to you in that moment...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam-
      It was a moment I will never forget--you said it perfectly~he told me exactly what to do, and yes-his instructions brought me peace and helped everything to settle down. I also believe we have angels around us.

      If you don't mind~please let me share another story with you. I worked in our church for 17 years as a "Sacristan" i had to make sure everything was ready for Mass, funerals, weddings, baptisms. A very dear lady was my mentor-she had been doing the work for almost 30 years and I was blessed to have a wonderful teacher and true friend.

      One day she was coming over to see me. We only lived a few miles from each other~~I stood at our window, watching for her to come up our driveway. Suddenly I saw her little car coming up our road and greeted her at the door. She seemed flustered~confused! I asked if she was okay and this is what she said "Oh Martha-I left my house and my purse was sitting on top of my car as I drove over here~~when I got out of the car, that nice young man in that big red truck handed me my purse and told me that he saw the purse and followed me here in case it fell off!"

      I was stunned-then told her "Jane, I was watching for you to come driving up and there was NO Red truck following you. No young man was there to hand your purse to you. When you got out of your car, it was hanging on your arm, just like you always do!"

      We both knew~~An Angel had been in our midst. Its a moment i will never forget.

      Thank you for letting me share this Pam. Jane meant the world to me and I feel she is now a glorious Angel watching over me.

      Blessings, martha

      Delete