Monday, November 26, 2012

Learning a New Lesson on Pain~~~

Matt-my dear husband

I keep thinking about the lessons Pain teaches me,  figuring the lesson will be about me or people I see at random places.  Little did I know there was a Huge Lesson waiting for me that would involve my precious husband, Matt.  Two days ago, everything seemed okay~~we had managed to work our way through the Thanksgiving Holiday as we counted our blessings for simply having each other to love!  Each night I have a "routine" of sorts~~getting ready for bed, taking my Pain Medication, propping my aching leg up and watching some silly late night show.  Suddenly Matt comes staggering toward our bedroom and falls on the floor~~~all he can say is "I am in Agony-help me" - my world was turned upside down in a split second!  I jumped out of bed, as I tossed rapid fire questions to Matt, but not stopping to hear his answer~~all I could think was "Oh my God, its his Back" as I heard him say "Okay Dr. Martha- its my Kidney area that is throbbing!" 

Poor Matt-he was rolling around on the floor, doing anything to find a position to give him a break from this brand new Pain he had never had in his life.  I grabbed a ice pack and got down on the floor to hopefully 
get the bag put exactly where he needed it.  Finally it hit me that Matt needed to be seen by a doctor and that meant a trip to the hospital, but he refused the idea of an ambulance~~so I  called a dear friend of ours, urgently saying "I need you right now, Matt is on the floor!"

He didn't hesitate~~assuring me he was on the way to help us.  Matt glanced my way as I kept going from room to room~telling me "Martha-you might want to put some regular clothes on~~your PJ's are not proper attire for this trip!"  Typical Matt-suffering with horrendous Pain, yet taking time to let me know about my attire!   It took a long night of testing~~ the Pain was coming from a Kidney Stone demanding to find its way out of his body and he was given medication to help the stone pass.  We both learned these Stones do not come flying out- it doesn't happen overnight and so we found ourselves back at the hospital very early this morning-Matt now in worse Pain as he had developed a slight infection.  

We got through it all-and now we wait for the lovely Kidney Stone to arrive.  As I stood beside his hospital bed this morning, my dear husband said "Well my wife, I have a brand new understanding of how much Pain you live with each day."  I fought the tears as I told him "dear husband-this has opened my heart to just how much I truly love you and need you!

Two lessons learned~~Pain and Love guiding us through it.  We leaned on God and held onto each other-just like we always have done.  

Pain is a rough teacher~~~but please know, you are not alone-I am praying for you.  

Martha

2 comments:

  1. Pain is a rough teacher...profound words my sister. I hope Matt has passed the stone by now. My husband had one when we were in Papua New Guinea. I was able to contact our mission doctor and he told me what pain shots to give him since he would have to wait till morning for the plane to fly in and get him. We did not have that kind of meds but this is where God stepped in. One of our young couples had just returned from their bush training out in a tribe and they had stocked up on meds which they brought out with them, including the shots needed to relieve Ace pain. I could only give half of the first one as we had to wait and see how his heart handle it, praise God it did. So in the space of an hour I was able to give him two shots that gave him relief. He fell asleep on the bathroom floor after he throw up. The plane came as early as it could in the morning, he was able to travel the 20 some miles to the airport and the short 35 minute flight to our mission clinic. Once there he stayed in the clinic hooked up to IV and about three in the afternoon he passed that devilish stone. I too had never seen him in that much pain but knew what was causing it since I had passed several years ago. There is no pain like except having a baby and having a baby is easier I think.

    Our men are strong so to see them in such an weak position is so frighten. So very glad you were able to get him to the hospital. I wondered how your body handled the stress of such an ordeal? Praise God for hospitals, good doctors and nurses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty-
      Well, no stone has passed yet! Matt's pain seemed to be gone and this morning when a friend dropped by to see us, I suddenly saw a look on Matt's face and knew-"Its Back!" I probably never mentioned this but Matt has had two Heart Scares, then the Prostate Cancer scare last year and now this!!

      We are both worried-and although I do not have the understanding of what giving birth feels like--I can honestly say my sweet Matt has NEVER suffered like this!

      On the first hospital visit-they sent him home with NO pain relief!!! Yep-on the second hospital visit, the doctor was honest with us and apologized all over himself.

      I read your words and thought about Ace sleeping on the bathroom floor. It reminded me of a time when I was deathly ill, at a hospitl waiting room and throwing my guts up in the bathroom. Matt was with me and I hear him suddenly tell me, "Martha-for God's sake, Raise your head up a little! Just think about how Many people have sat there!" I turned my head-giving him a LOOK and said, "I don't really give a Damn my dear!" Then I turned back and proceeded ahead with trying to throw my toes up!!!!

      It was ONE FOR THE BOOKS!!!!!

      Please keep us in prayer-and yep, the stress made my old butt begin to BURN again!!! Joy...... love and prayers I send to you both. Martha

      Delete