Thursday, February 21, 2013

A Lesson in Courage~~

You never know when the moment is given to you-a chance to witness great Courage in others~~all you need do is sit still and listen.

This past week found me on the "opposite side" of a hospital bed as my dear Husband went through a medical test.  You always worry-hoping everything is fine and know the only thing you can do is WAIT.

We had a wonderful nurse to do the IV and vitals check of my husband-I noticed the cheerful sound to her voice~~it was the "real" thing because it was very early and nothing was fake about this woman!

She was at the mini-computer, putting in detailed information, talking about how much easier the computers have made this part of a nurse's job~~for whatever reason, my husband started humming the New Year's Eve song-you know its the one Doris Day sang~~~this wonderful nurse whipped around, a delighted smile on her face and she was singing the words, loud and clear!  For whatever reason, we suddenly had a wonderful Trio going, all of us on key and the words flowed, as our song drifted down the hallway of the hospital!

My husband could not explain "why" he started humming that particular song, but the nurse told us it was her favorite song and she sings it with her grandchildren each year.  This was the moment when we
got "Our Lesson in Courage" as she said "I am glad to still be here-working and helping others because I had both breasts removed three weeks ago!  Yep, I start Chemo next week and everything looks great."

The room was filled with too much silence as we both realized the tremendous courage God had instilled in this nurse~~she suddenly noticed my cane and asked why I needed it .  My Husband gave the Fast Version
of Me Falling out of a Tree, Nine Surgeries and constant Chronic Pain~~she took a "long" look at me, and the words came from her were stunning~~  "Oh my-there is No way I could live with Chronic Pain!  What I have been through is nothing compared to suffering with a Pain that will never go away.  You are a very strong woman!"  

I didn't know whether to hug her, or drop to my knees in honor of this woman~~somehow I managed to mumble something about "I have to keep going" and thats when it hit me~~  God was giving me this moment to witness True Courage, and whatever I took from it- well I think HE was leaving that all up to me.  It was time for my husband to leave for his procedure, I gave him a quick kiss on the forehead and just sat~~I needed time to let this moment sink in.

Everything came out on a positive note for my husband-no need for a return checkup for many years and we both thanked God~~I added a special Thank You for having seen Real Courage in  a special woman.

God bless our Singing Nurse.

martha

8 comments:

  1. Martha, my brave heart!

    The nurse and you had a mutual exchange of true courage. I am glad your trio made the air clear and worry-free. That was a God-whisper for Matt to hum the favorite hymn of this gracious nurse.

    I bless our Father for the excellent bill of health for Matt.

    This is such an encouraging post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Lolita-
      How your words always touch my heart. I love the phrase "God Whisper" and yes-I was so
      moved by this nurse, all that she had been through and then her response to me... It was
      a moment I will never forget.

      Bless you for these loving words. You are a loving ray of light!
      martha

      Delete
  2. Two courageous wise women and one courageous wise man...the powers of hell trembled that day when you three shared the sweetness of God in that room. How much He loves Martha. He is blessing your life as you endure your suffering. A God ordained moment. Thank you for that encouraging post...I sit here in tears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty-
      Oh my--What did I do to have so many friends who are filled with HIS Love--expressing it my way and lifting me up in prayer as I battle with Pain!! There are so many others suffering Pain and carrying heavier loads than I am, and to read your wonderful words of Spiritual Love-well
      I am touched to the core of my heart. It was a very SPECIAL moment in that tiny hospital room and the three of us sharing as we did. I am so very honored to know a woman of such
      deep Love of The Lord, and you are helping me with this miserable Pain-your words of prayer
      help me more than I can begin to explain.


      God bless you and Ace--and thank you,thank you, thank you!! martha

      Delete
  3. Martha, first and foremost, I'm delighted to hear all is well with HH! Thank You, Jesus!

    What a precious, God moment in that room with the singing nurse and singing patient! Matt was Holy Spirit inspired to start humming THAT particular song. It just put a smile on my heart.

    I ditto what Betty wrote. VERY courageous and wise-hearted are you and Matt.

    And we love you both! Thank you for this wonderful story! May I share it at Bible study on Thursday?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane!
      I have been thinking about you-hoping things are going well. Thank you for this beautiful response to my 'God Moment" at the hospital! It was amazing-to have this woman respond so quickly to matt's humming-then we started following her singing~~~ It was beautiful. But when she made the comment about my Chronic Pain and how strong she thought I was---when this woman had just been through the SURGERY all women Dread~~~~~~I keep reflecting on it often and its a moment in time I will never forget.

      Yes-you may share this at your Bible Class. I am touched that you want to do that.

      Yes I thank the Lord that Matt is checking out fine, because with my NEW Pains--I need him more than ever.

      You know what it is to feel humbled when your Husband has to blow-dry your hair!! I can't raise my arms because of the bad Disc in my neck.... In Sickness and in Health!!!

      Those Vows are not to be taken lightly-ever..... Matt is one of a kind.....

      love and hugs, martha

      Delete
    2. No problem Diane-let me know how your Class went....I know God is proud of you~~everything you do as we are lifted up by your love for Christ. You are one of HIS
      precious Disciples.

      Bless you my friend.

      ((martha))

      Delete