Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Human Suffering-nothing pretty about it!

In my early years of learning to live with Chronic Pain-I was on a mission~came Hell or high water, somebody was going to find out what was wrong with me, fix it and and I could get back to my normal life.  If only it could have been that simple, as I found out while making the massive round of visits with doctor after doctor~~one telling me "Well, its all in your imagination"  and I recall sobbing hard as we left the building and not caring who saw me or what they thought, and I began to see the reaction of people as they saw me in Pain~~some had their own quick cure "Oh you need a good massage-that will fix you."

 People were slinging doctor's cards at me~~I tried to listen as they told me of how their family member had been cured, all I had to do was see this doctor~~ everything would be okay.  They turned away from me~~seeming to be in a rush, and I knew Suffering was showing on me.

 Some dear friends reminded me that I did not use a Cane last year-now it is with me all the time!  I needed those words of honesty~it helped me to see the need for Surgery.  They looked at my Suffering and spoke words I needed to hear~~and they give a solid promise to Pray for me.

Yesterday I pushed myself to join friends for Christmas-they knew it was the last thing I wanted to do~~another friend was there-an older gentleman who suffers with Pain and it seems as if Pain is chewing him up, day by day.  As we sat at the table~~I had my elbow propped on the table, holding my head up to ease the Pain-my eyes traveled toward my friend and there he sat-in the exact position as me.  Nothing was said-sadly Pain was doing all the silent talking and it was not pretty!

He didn't stay long~~it hurt to see this gentle man in such pain, and I understood how bad we both must have looked. Its very hard to see Human Suffering and it can be very ugly-so please Pray for them and realize~~God will hear your prayers.

God be with my friend who is in the dark valley of Pain-help him please to find moments of peace.  Please know I will always pray for all who must fight this battle.

Martha

2 comments:

  1. Martha, your post hit home as I wrote about the same thing on my last blog post. I know Christmas is suppose to be a time of rejoicing and family gatherings but there is so much suffering in the world I just want to screen, Lord how long are you going to let this go on. Knowing your pain, I think you are exercising great "courage" to even try a gathering. This "suffereing" is only a taste of what our Lord suffered and He chose to do it for us. Brought it upon Himself for our sake. Your suffering is not in vane Martha...God never waste a thing. Something good will come out of it just as our salvation came out of Christ suffering. I think often of the verse, In this world you will have trials and suffering, in this world but glory not in the next.

    I have been taking some therapy for my chronic pain and it has helped but Monday is my last day, our insureance will pay no more. So as I look at the future I know I will get back to experiencing more. Sunday and Monday I was in bad shape due to playing on the floor with my Grand children...could not get up and down because I got up and down too many times with them. So I am being a good girl this weekend and not doing those things, looking for other ways to play with them. I need to take a pain pill before they come and two after they leave, thank God for Naproxen.

    I will lay prayers upon prayers for you my friend. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty-my heart aches at the thought of your not being able to get medication and I grow very weary of those faceless people playing GOD with all who must suffer with
      Chronic Pain. If only they could walk in our shoes for a full 24 hour day-something tells me they would be crawling for anybody to help them. I got another injection for my neck yesterday-all because of people at church giving me one of those "Neck Squeezes" a sign of love and they had no idea of this NEW major pain, along with the floating piece of Disc pushing against the nerve in my spine.

      But yesterday morning-all of this seemed meaningless as I learned of the tragic death here in our community~~~a husband who fought battles we knew nothing of and finally could take no more. We will never know His Pain and I pray God forgives him and helps him find his way to PEACE. A wife and two children now grieve a loss that none want to see happen. I am still in shock---his wife was my son's first teacher. The memories have flooded back and forth in my heart and all I can do is pray, pray and pray again.

      If only this world would STOP all the things they THINK are important and powerful--then realize we are NOT in control here-only the good Lord is.

      Delete