Friday, February 18, 2011

Searching for HELP from PAIN

One of the TOUGHEST parts of the PAIN battle is the journey through the MEDICAL profession. It took me two long years of going from doctor to doctor and hearing things like "Oh, it's just a pulled muscle...""You have MS..." "You need to have BOTH hips replaced..." The very worst was "IT'S ALL IN YOUR MIND!" 

I would leave a doctor's office after hearing words like that and feel total despair. I started to question myself and wonder, "AM I CRAZY?" Let's see, the PAIN sure did FEEL real. It was getting harder to WALK most days. And the burning and numbness continued to get WORSE. Finally, I realized THIS was REAL, and I had to find the RIGHT doctor. 

So many people with Chronic Pain will search for YEARS to find a doctor who truly understands, listens and BELIEVES them. I vividly recall the FIRST time my Pain Management Doctor told me that she knew WHAT was wrong with me–that I had probably severely damaged the sciatic nerve when I fell from the tree. It was like a MIRACLE had finally happened! She didn't have a cure for me, but I knew she believed me and had LISTENED.

My heart goes out to all those who are suffering with Chronic Pain and who are still desperately searching for proper medical help. Throughout my journey, I have seen my own doctor filled with frustration that she can't CURE my PAIN and MAKE it go away. All she can do is offer me medical help that gives me temporary relief. For that, I am thankful each day as I battle back at PAIN. 

It hit me a LONG time ago that PAIN was going to stay with me forever, but something DEEP inside me decided: IT WILL NOT BEAT ME!

Yes, the PAIN is still here, BUT SO I!

No comments:

Post a Comment