Monday, January 21, 2013

Pecans, Laughter, & Pain!

Our friends called today, inviting us to take a ride with them.  My thoughts went back and forth- I wanted the chance to feel normal, but I also knew Pain would be following me all day long, but I cast worry aside and said "Let's go for it" as we hit the road!

The familiar sign of worry hung on my husband-his mind counting the miles and worried as to how far we could get before my Pain forced us back home.  Our friend drove, giving Matt a rare chance to relax- it felt like our friends were doing everything to give Both of Us a peaceful day out.

We went to a small town that is  known for Pecans, trees lined up on each farm- all blended together in perfect lines~~having grown for years and producing a delicious product.  There was a lovely park area for us to stop and give me "stretching time" as I watched people walking around, eyes to the ground as they searched for a tasty Pecan to crack open and enjoy. Memories from long ago hit me~~~~

 Daddy had climbed up a Pecan tree with a huge stick, giving us notice he was going to start "whacking away" on the pecans~~I remember running for cover until the "all clear" signal was shouted out by him~~then I grabbed my bucket and rushed to be the first one who could Fill it to the brim with Pecans.  I was probably Five or Six years old, and looked forward to Pecan Picking Time each year.

Suddenly it hit me-here I stood with a walking cane and there was a perfect chance for me to do a tiny version of my own "whacking" and it only took a few seconds as I began to swing away at the tree limbs.
But reality sat in as I almost fell-a reminder of why I had a cane in my hand~~and as a swift Pain hit between my shoulder blade area, it was time for me to leave Pecan picking to others.  I watched our friends bending down to find Pecans and then laughing as they were being "thumped" on the head by falling Pecans.


It was a good day~~~happy memories from long ago and joy filling my heart as I made new memories with our dear friends.  Pain followed us, but I refused to let it stop me from having a few moments of fun.

God please be with all the people who are hurting right now.

Martha






2 comments:

  1. Oh...so glad to hear you had fun and joy from wonderful memories. That is awesome!!! Thank You, Father, for this blessing for Martha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane-
      It was wonderful to have a few brief moments of joy and being in a place that brought such great memories back! Perhaps my special "angel-Daddy" was giving me a gentle "nudge" to keep living and enjoy the moment.

      Bless you for the prayers--they are helping me. God is listening!!!

      love,martha

      Delete