Monday, January 7, 2013

What its like to feel completely helpless~~

I just got home after trying to pick up a needed medication I take on a regular basis-its vital to my health to have No lapse in time coverage of this medicine-in basic terms, I have to be covered by the medicine 24 hours a day.  As I stepped up to the counter, this caring employee told me "I have bad news and some more bad news to tell you" and I listened in horror as I found out my Insurance company "decided" they prefer I get this medication through a mail order company~~~it all comes down to a money game with my life in the mix.  

The line behind me grew as I began to fire the questions off-my anger growing by the second and it hitting me as to the "unseen power" these insurance companies are gaining-all at a cost thrown directly in my face-nobody giving a flip as to how this might impact my life!  Nobody sent any notification to me in the mail-nothing at all to prepare me for this new push in the drug industry~~and if I had been unable to get this medication-before this night ended, it would have endangered my health-very likely putting me in grave danger~~I wondered if anybody from the Insurance Company might pause for even a second to think about me!

We have become "faceless patients" and these people do not care if they might cause harm or possible death~~~I feel they would just check my name off and think "man-we finally got rid of that one, she was really costing us a lot of money!"   Tonight I found out how it felt to have no resource to reach out to-oh yes I released a torrent of anger to my husband as we drove home and I could see he too was feeling that
terrible sensation of being helpless-and worry growing as he knew it is not good for me to get this upset-knowing all that is ahead for me to go through.  

I will not go quietly into the night-right now I feel a bit like  "Sally Field" as she played a desperate worker in a factory-fighting for her fellow workers to have decent wages, health care-and she payed a Huge price for doing it.  She finally grabbed their attention by jumping on a table and holding up a sign with One word glaring for all to see~~~~ UNION.

My heart is racing as I think about all the people who have no help-no support-nothing to give them any hope as they quietly take this type of abuse and slowly have their health go downhill--all because of MONEY.

So now I must focus on this battle-one I do not need pushed on me~~~but I will go the distance to learn why this is happening.  I am not "Faceless!"

Thank you for listening.

Martha

4 comments:

  1. Oh Martha what a terrible thing to happen. We too are battling some insurance issues from when Ace was in the hospital with malaria. One thing we will not have to deal with in heaven, insureance companies.

    Will be praying for a quick resolve to this problem. Love Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Betty, I am enraged at the way people are treated by insurance companies-- and I do not know if anything can be done, but I will be heard... My pain has soared to new levels of misery, so I must settle down and think, "what would the good Lord do?"

      Delete
  2. Oh, Martha! Like a voice crying in the wilderness, you are not faceless or voiceless. It's horrible that this has happened to YOU, as I know how much you need that medication.

    I, too, have had to battle insurance companies over blood pressure medicine.

    How our nation has allowed this is beyond me. How the American public have allowed it, grieves me.

    Let your vioce be heard, precious Martha! SHOUT LOUD AND LONG!

    And in the meantime, I will pray that God will move on your behalf in regard to getting your medication as needed. Hugs to you, my precious friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane-
      Your words help not just me but others too so they can understand its More than okay to rise up and be heard. Thank God the store clerk was understanding and knew I could not leave without the medication. Believe me-anyone around that area knew there was a woman who was NOT happy!! When I turned to leave, people were just
      staring at me--as if they could not believe what happened. I just had to do it and said in a Loud voice "I Hate Insurance Companies-Its WRONG what they are doing!!!"

      I didn't get thrown out of the store--thank goodness and I will continue fighting this issue.

      Sadly getting that upset did Not help my Pain-but my words needed to be said. Thank you for the prayers-truly.... They helped more than you know.....

      Hugs and major blessings too... martha

      Delete