Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Courage at its Finest~~~~

The news can be boring at times, watching all the wrangling about the major issues facing our country each day-it becomes tempting to flip the channel off and just walk away, thinking nothing will ever get done, because nobody is taking the time to listen!

Something stopped me today--instead of flipping the switch off,  I paused because everything had
suddenly become Quiet on the screen~~~~there she was, slowly taking  each long step, her loving husband being there to help-gently guiding her back to a place where she had once walked among her peers, being at the place where she dreamed of making decisions that might help make a difference.

 Gabrielle Giffords~~~a true warrior in every sense of the word was back on the Hill- walking with head up high,  very few truly understanding how much Courage holds this beautiful woman up each day. Who  could have imagined a day where Gabby faced death, and others nearby her died in a  moment of violence-leaving families grieving and searching for answers.

I recalled a particular image the media kept showing during those first horrible days as Gabby hovered between life and death~~her loving husband sitting beside her bed, his loving hand gently caressing hers~~~one can only imagine his desperate thoughts and urgent prayers, fears of a uncertain future-as it seemed the world was waiting- hoping Gabby could fight her way back to life.

I can't begin to imagine the painful journey this amazing woman has been on~~~learning simple acts we all take for granted that once were so easy for her-having to face changes and letting go of so many dreams she once hoped for.  Today she stepped forward and as her words began, it felt like everyone was ready to hear what Gabby had come to say~~she spoke with strength, clarity, and deep Courage---making sure to let us all know~~the time has arrived, too many little angels left this world in the worst way possible.

It was a moment in time I shall never forget~~~Thank you Gabby for fighting to live~~and giving us
the chance to see your tremendous Courage.  God Bless you always.

martha

4 comments:

  1. This is a well thought out post. Your understanding of the courage it has taken for Gabby to be used again speaks volumn of your courage. Courage see others courage...love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty-
      I am always moved by your thoughtful and caring responses, and you help me to see things
      that are easily missed. It hit me that I did not think about the fact of Gabby having to enter those Chamber doors in front of the world.

      It also hit me as to the "brief glance" of Gabby as she is now---my heart tells me a lot of people wanted to just walk away FAST. Reality is hard to look at, even harder to accept, and the toughest piece of Courage--learning to live with our own limitations. Never easy, but with God, its always possible. Thank you Betty-I learn so much from you!!

      love, martha



      Delete
  2. After reading this, I went to u-tube to watch her...she was inspirational. Thanks for pointing me to this, and for reminding me of the heroes all around us...such as yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judi-
      You are a shining example of what it means to be a HERO, living with Pain and doing everything you can to keep Pushing--one day at a time--and I learn so much from you!!

      People see me and will comment "You really look good" and I am learning to accept the words as I reflect in silence "You should have seen me yesterday!" When I saw Gabby on the news, it struck a deep chord inside me~~none of us have any real understanding as to how hard the journey has been for this woman.

      Thank you for the loving words--I am deeply humbled and just know, you give me Courage to keep pushing forward-regardless of the Pain.

      I ask God to be there with you Judi. love, martha

      Delete