Saturday, July 28, 2012

My Special Teacher~~~


My Dear Granny
I came across this photo-its a special one as she is standing next to me on my Wedding day!  It felt only right to crop this photo-because I wanted to let all of this special woman shine through as I share a few thoughts about her.

Granny was about Five feet tall, had hair down to her waist, but she wore a Wig for this picture! She wanted to look special for this wonderful day, probably working hard till the last minute to finish sewing her outfit!  She made everything-ranging from clothes, quilts, crochet work that held a special beauty and of course, Embroidery work.  It seems she always had a few words of Wisdom for me-One long ago day as we sat on her porch, me struggling away with my project-she took time to share with me,
  "This is something you Need to learn!  It will help you- When your Hands are busy, well your mind stays occupied on the work, taking all your worries away!"

During my years with Pain, I have worked on many different projects-enjoying them but none have brought me Granny's message-until I picked up Embroidery threads and started working on a long forgotten skill.  With each stitch I make, it feels as if She is looking over my shoulder, watching to see how many goofs I make in the stitches, I smile, making sure to correct my mistakes!

As a child I recall watching Granny braid her long hair, it was poetry in motion to see her taking one strand of hair, lay it over the other, making two Perfect Pig Tales of Hair to pin up!  She never allowed her hair to be cut-until one day came that changed her life forever.  Granny loved to travel with some women from church one day a week to visit church members who were sick and needed some friendly smiles.  They had just left a church member's home, all chattering away and disaster struck!  The lady who was driving forgot about a stop sign and the car was suddenly on a major highway, as another car hit them!  She was sitting in the backseat and the impact caused the door to fly off, sending Granny flying out of the car, and being slammed against an embankment!  

When I saw her in Intensive Care, the doctors told us the impact had broken many major bones in her body and they doubted she would make it through the night-if she did, there was no hope of her ever walking or driving again!  I prayed hard for Granny, recalling her tremendous determination and asking God to please help her-my prayers were heard, as she did recover-learning to walk again and yes-she was able to drive again!

Having this recent memory of Granny being in that accident-felt like someone had turned a Light Switch On for Me!  Long before I found myself in Chronic Pain with an injury I can't run from, God gave me this amazing Woman-allowing me a glimpse of Faith & Courage, helping me understand-No matter how bad it gets, "with God-all things are possible!"  

Granny suffered tremendous Pain after that accident-and she could also predict Rain coming-this brings a "Bitter Sweet Memory" to my heart.  Yet she never gave up-until the final insult from the Accident caught up with her-much needed blood given to her during the early days in Intensive Care came at a time long before Blood was ever fully tested, resulting in Hepatitis C staying with her and finally taking her life.

I thank God for my "Special Teacher" and with each Embroidery Stitch I make, my heart remembers this
amazing woman, and I know-"Keep your Mind Busy, before you know it, all your worries are gone!"

Thank you God-for my dear Granny.

This was my Joy Today-Remembering "Stitches of Love with Granny."
martha




8 comments:

  1. Martha-

    I am glad to be back reading my favorite blogs. End of month reports had been away with for the whole of this past week.

    I have missed lots of posts already. I am in one of my part-time job office doing their bills. I got a chance to be online Sunday afternoon here.

    So glad I am to find once again your everyday joy in your dear granny's memory.

    I love the sound of "Stitches of Love with Granny." She feels like a very strong figure in your growing up years. So sorry to hear about the Hepa C which eventually took her life.

    I remember that part of this week's business was due to some requests I had to undertake by the grandchildren. The high schooler wanted me to help her do a recycled project which we made our of old denims. And for my three other smaller guys, they asked me to make them creative bulletin boards. It took a lot of time but all so fulfilling and they could form part of my legacy to them too.

    Anyway, dear Martha, I want you to know that I am always here in prayer and in warm thoughts for your pain days. I so wish it will go. GBU and Matt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lolita-
      its a joy to hear from you again-sounds like Work has kept you very busy! Without question, Granny was a very important person in my life-I cherish these memories and something tells me I have a "Special Angel in Heaven-cheering me on as I walk the path with Pain beside me!" Your comments are dear to me!

      Bless you.
      martha

      Delete
  2. Oh, Martha, what a treasure you had - and still do - in your granny! I love when you write posts on your family members who have so influenced your life! We glean from their Wisdom. Thank you for this uplifting post!

    What is her name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane-
      Her name was Elsie! German was her native language and she could speak it with ease. I learned to COUNT in German-that was it.

      I was very lucky to have this dear little woman as my "Granny!"

      Blessings.
      martha

      Delete
  3. Elsie! What a wonderfully poetic name.

    My grandma was German as well, but she was born here. I only learned to say a few words, one which was "Gesundheit" when someone sneezed. I was told it meant "God bless you"; however, I just googled it to get the right spelling and apparently it means "health", so I'm a little bummed. I was going to end this with "Gesunheit" to wish you God's blessings...

    No problem, I will wish you God's good health!

    Gesundheit! My Dear Martha, Gesundheit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the sweet words Diane.

      Yes-Elsie was German all the way! God sent me a special blessing in
      this loving woman that I simply knew as GRANNY!

      Blessings!
      martha

      Delete
  4. Martha, love the story of your Granny. Little did she know you would end up suffering as you do. But her testemony of how she handle her pain must be a source of encouragement for you.

    You are still using her wisdom by keeping busy with your cross stitch...I love what you did for me and now the buttons mean even more to me. Thank you dear friend for being so giving. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty-
      Thank you for these loving words about my dear little Granny! When I had finished all the stitch work on your Gift-it took a LONG time for me to hunt for the buttons-i have all the ones Granny collected over her years and they are in this old Antique Tin-I can close my eyes and see it sitting right beside her sewing machine!

      Seems almost as if Granny was saying "Now you be sure to pick out the Best Buttons for Betty!"

      Yes-recalling memories of how much Pain she suffered after the accident, then seeing her long hair have to be cut because of broken arms-too damaged from the accident for performing any hair braiding.....

      I miss her deeply-and yes-its like she and all my loved ones who have passed on are telling me "Sister-you can do this, We are watching over you as you struggle with Pain!" Nice to know God has sent me some very special blessings in meeting Women of your character and Faith! You bless me dear Betty!

      (((love))) martha

      Delete