Sunday, July 8, 2012

Pain Remedies in the Past......

If we compare today's modern medicine techniques- all the advances made in fighting Cancer-to the pre WWII era of medicine, without question the results are stunning!  I have known several women who got the terrible news of Cancer-facing the battle with Faith, Strength, Great Doctors and Prayers thrown into the mix-these women are still alive, enjoying life to its fullest and praising God for their new lease on life!

I have some memories of medical treatment during the mid 1950's (yes I am not a Spring Chicken anymore) and many came to mind-but I decided to share One that is engrained in my Memory:

The Day My Brother was Bit by a Rattlesnake----
Let me see-I have two brothers, one is three years older than me and we walked each day about a half mile from our home to the road where we waited for the Big Yellow School Bus to pick us up.  Each day was an adventure as we walked home-this brother always ran ahead, looking for bugs, animals-(we lived on a large ranch and the area was rough to say the least.)  

While walking home one day, suddenly my brother let out a Scream  I shall never forget "Oh my God, A Rattlesnake just bit me-I am gonna die!" This was our worst nightmare-Daddy always cautioned us on looking down while walking- Rattlesnakes could be anywhere and we were also taught how to use the Life Saving Snake Bite Kit-just in case we were by ourselves and this happened. The Kit consisted of a Sharp Razor Blade, a band to tie just above the bite area so blood flow could be restricted (helped to keep the flow of Venom down) and a Rubber Suction Device to pull Venom out.

My oldest brother ran toward the disaster, dragging me along with him, my little feet barely touching the ground as we reached my wounded brother,who lay in the grass, screaming and moaning!  It was an awful thing to see-I looked at his jeans-which were a Tan color and I saw a sick-green color spreading-and I cried, just knowing the end was near for my brother.  Suddenly my Oldest brother takes charge, telling me to "Run like the Dickens to the house and bring that Snake Bite Kit with you!"  God must have helped me move my young body that day because I was back with the Life Saving Kit in a flash!

 As I reflect back, my oldest brother should have chosen the Medical Profession for his career because he moved as if we were in the biggest Emergency Room, barking orders to my brother "Get Still, and hang on, cause Brother-I am Gonna Save your Life!"  His next move was with the Sharp Razor Blade--

I saw my bitten brother glance at the Blade with fear, but figured it had to be this way.  Suddenly the Oldest Brother takes that Blade and makes the Biggest X Mark I have ever seen in my life!  Blood was flowing so fast-and now the Victim Brother was truly screaming in agony-feeling his Leg was being cut off!

The Suction Device was quickly used as I thought  (Wow, he really did listen to the Lesson on how to handle a Snake Bite)- the Band was pulled so tight-only causing the X wound area to spurt More blood out!  It was one brother screaming "I am Dying" and the other raging "Not on my Watch-no Sir, not today!"  


My Parents had shown up and I can only imagine how the Trauma Scene looked-Daddy runs to see what is wrong, we are shouting "He is Dying, A Snake Bit him"-Doctor/Brother is screaming "Daddy-look what I did-I saved his life!" Again my Dad stepped up the plate, taking everything into full view, looks at the pants leg of my Brother's jeans, sits on the ground and yells over the screams of three scared kids-
"Boy, you aren't Snake Bit- you jumped so dang High, well you jerked the Fangs right out of the mouth of that old Rattlesnake!"

Now there was the immediate issue of getting my brother to a hospital so his leg could be properly sewn up from the massive X made by Doctor/Brother!  Mom told us the Emergency Room Doctor kept asking "Why in the Heck did your Son make Such a Large X?"  I doubt he ever got a proper answer to his question-but we knew our brother was going to live!

I have a feeling that long ago Snake Bite Kit is long gone, but my brother can probably still see the X!!

God bless.  Martha





8 comments:

  1. Oh MY that's an amazing memory, Martha! Wow! You could add more details and turn it into a great short story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheryl-
      I wish you could have seen this all unfold!! My gosh-Drama in the Country!!! The only real victim that long ago day was the SNAKE!!

      Thanks for the words of praise dear Friend...

      love and hugs, martha

      Delete
  2. A story of bravery and love.

    I admire at how you were trained for emergency when you were young. The valiant way your elder brother responded at the task on hand. This is such a great story, Martha. I like the cowboy-ranch scenery I have pictured with this moment. Martha running her little legs at top speed and thus getting back in time when seconds counted. You are both suited a medal of honor award.

    Thanks for sharing this to us, dear Martha. What an event to recall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lolita!

      This is a memory I shall never forget! Being raised in the country, people always knew that if you were bitten by a Rattlesnake or another one called a Copperhead-it meant your time was short on this Earth! After this happened we began to joke about this brother having "Nine Lives" (something about cats-I never got it) but he seemed to always be getting into life and death moments! I will have to share a few more of them because this was "Light" in comparison to the other messes he managed to find!

      Thanks for reading. Life back then was very different, we lived off the land-never seeing a need for the "grocery store trip!"

      I pray the Rain is easing in your area! Praise God-we had some Rain last night and as I turned my computer on, another Good Shower hit us!!! Fantastic!!

      Love, Martha

      Delete
  3. I ditto Sheryl, Martha!

    I do have a question though. What was the green: "I saw a sick-green color spreading-"? I can't imagine what that was. YUCK.

    I have never seen a snake up close and personal in the wild. Thank God! I wouldn't have to worry about a Snake Bite Kit because I'd be dead of a heart attack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane-
      The "Sick Green Color" was the actual Venom that comes from the Snake-meaning thats what goes into a person's body if they are bit!
      Instead, all the Venom flowed through my brother's Jeans!!!

      Go Figure!!

      I can see that Snake Bite Kit clearly in my memories-back in those times, if you lived in the country-you made sure everyone in your family knew Exactly what to do if someone was bitten!

      But dear Oldest Brother took making the X mark to a brand new level that Day! All I can say is his words "You are not Gonna Die today Brother, Not on my Watch!!"

      This event paled when I compare it with all the other NEAR DEATH
      episodes My Brother managed to find his way to! Living in the country back then-well it was rough and tumble.

      Thanks for reading. You are a tough gal Diane-I have no doubt you can take on a Snake Bite!!

      Blessings today. Martha

      Delete
    2. Yup, I could probably take the bite, but SEEING that thing.- that is another story!

      I remember the year Alece sent a photo of ...I think they are called Black Mombos...or something like that. SA most deadliest snake. It had been on her back stoop. Niel killed it with his rifle. She sent a photo - that thing was as long as he was tall (over 6 foot). Ohhh.......

      It's a good thing that you learn those kind of things if you live in that kind of area...sheash...you have to know those things.

      Delete
    3. Yes-
      living in the country certainly brought "variety" to our daily lives..

      I have seen the Snake you mention from SA and oh my-this gal would be running so Fast!! oops-can't do that--how about a really FAST walk!!!!

      Here's hoping your sweet girl never has to meet up with one of those Snakes again!!!

      Is it hot in your area? We are having a Summer that feels almost like a dream! A few days of Hot temps, and then precious Rains from Above! So amazing as I watch the news and see other parts of the country having the type of weather we seem to always have during the summer. We just had a wonderful round of Rain Showers come through, beautiful Lightning and Thunder-think we got about an Inch. Here-an Inch of Rain feels like a true Miracle!!!

      Guess thats why we are always standing outside, looking up at the FIRST dark cloud we see and start doing some strong Praying!!

      Years ago, our little town was in dire water conditions-we have a large river and only had 75 days of water left to take care of the town's needs. (this was prior to the growth we are starting to see now) so a notice went out in the paper, begging everyone to come meet at the Old Courthouse square, and Ministers would be praying for Rain.

      It was amazing-people came from everywhere, think there had to be at least 6 ministers there (maybe more) but the last Minister to pray--Well He did a Job of praying---

      "Now Lord-I want you to know how BAD we need the Rain! I am asking you to send us this Rain. Lord I am NOT talking about just 2 inches of Rain-No sir LORD--I am talking at least 6 inches-Yes, Bring us 6 inches of Rain!"

      Within days, we got 6 inches of rain-probably more if memory serves me--but my goodness-the strength of his Prayer-the people gathered and praying, well the good Lord listened and it rained!

      Now we are connected to a large Lake about 25 miles from here and that takes care of our water woes..... Just had to share that with you. Maybe its sitting here, as I listen to distant Thunder and that memory hit me!! its a good one.

      Plus--my BUTTROMETER has been in over-drive all day long-HH kept saying "oh it will miss us" and I thought "If only you had my BUTTROMETER speaking to you dear HH-you would have NO doubt about Rain coming!!!!"

      Blessings and love, martha

      Delete