Sunday, September 30, 2012

"Got any Advice for me Daddy?"

                    ~~~~~Martha & Daddy~~~~~~~

This photo is very special for me-taken at a time when my Daddy was fighting his final battles and Pain was now a part of my daily life.  Yet we had this moment of being together and letting our love for each other Shine!

Daddy never minced words-he looked you square in the eye, spoke his thoughts, no matter if they were a bit on the Tough side.  Here is an example of what I mean by Tough Advice~~~~
I was in High School, at home with a miserable sore throat (turned out to be a bad case of Strep Throat) when a sudden storm came up-things went from sunshine to total darkness in a matter of minutes!  My heart was pounding as I hid in a food pantry with the phone cord stretched tight as I called Daddy at work.  I was scared to death and wanted my parents to come home! Moma was working a full time job and I knew it would take an emergency to get them home.

Daddy answered with his "Job Voice" booming on the line as I started crying, telling him about the terrible storm outside-as i could  hear tree limbs slamming against windows, and he said~~
 "Sister-its not a Tornado, but where are you hiding at in the house?"  The Parent side of him made sure I had picked a safe place to hide.  Now I realized he wasn't going to leave work just for a storm-so I  knew it was time to kick in the Emergency aspect~~

                               "Daddy, I feel so sick-please I need you to come home!"

 Daddy was raised in the country-he was tough as they come, and going to a doctor was rare so here came his advice "Sister-listen good to me, when you feel like you are about to Die, call me back!" We hung up, the storm continued to blow and I waited a full ten minutes, then called him again, this time making my message come across clearly~~
                  "Daddy, I feel like I am going to Die-either you or Moma needs to come home, now!"

There was momentary silence on his end as he told me, "Okay Sister-one of us will be there soon!"  He took care of things-and thats why I find myself thinking of him and longing for his words of advice~~
"So Daddy, have you got any Advice for me on how I can keep dealing with this Pain?" 

If my precious Daddy were still alive- his words would come across strong and steady~~
I feel he would tell me to be strong, reminding me that if I just look around for a few seconds, God will show
others to me who are suffering so much more than me.  He would make sure to tell me~~~
                                            "Count your Blessings Sister, never forget to do that"  

God has blessed me with some of the tremendous inner courage both of my parents possessed, I have been blessed with the most wonderful man in the world to have as my husband, and God knows my heart, how I look to HIM for everything. The best I can do is take life one day at a time.

Count your blessings-no matter how small they might look, because those are the Best Blessings of all!

God be with all who are battling Chronic Pain.

martha









6 comments:

  1. A very pretty photo of you, Martha! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam!

      Pain has definitely worked on me over the years-but I understand this thing called AGING---has a bit to do with it also.

      Your compliment warms my heart....

      ((blessings to you always)) martha

      Delete
  2. Such a treasure of a photo, Martha. You look gorgeous and your Dad is so good looking. Do you have his Christopher Reeve blue eyes?

    Anyway, you are so right. Blessed with the best stock that you have. I know you will be able to hang on and more so because you got Matt too.

    And you have us to pray for you, dear and the advise is so right for all, counting blessings sure takes away lotsa pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lolita-
      what a JOY to hear from you!! Each time I see "LOLITA" attached to an email or a comment or facebook--i feel a sense of JOY inside, because I realize its not easy for you to have the computer access and that just makes hearing from you much more precious!!

      I guess you could say I got a "mix" on my eye color--Daddy's eyes were a gorgeous Blue and Moma had a truly unique "Green/Blue" color to her eyes. People have told me that when I am really happy, its like the colors are mingling together!!!

      You said so much to me Lolita--especially me being "blessed with the BEST stock~" and my life-time gift of MATT!!!

      Then God brings me FOUR amazing women to be my friends and prayer warriors---WOW~!!

      I can almost hear Daddy telling me "Now Sister-that Lolita gal is a sharp one! You make sure to listen to her!"

      Bless you my dear friend.

      (((prayer-filled hugs)))
      martha

      Delete
  3. Oh Martha what a Daddy you had. I can see why you wish he was still here. He is so right...we need to count our blessings often in the journey of pain. You do carry your Daddy genes...as Lotita said, you are from strong stock. He would be so proud of you "Sister". Wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty-
      You have NO idea of how much these precious words touch me~~ My heart is bathed in warmth from them. Its obvious how much I do miss my Dad and Moma too, but Daddy and I had something very special-He joked once that I was "The Son He never had" although he and Moma produced two sons and two girls.

      From the time I could walk, it seems I did my best to follow him everywhere he went. In my Adult years with him, we could sit and have very open and meaningful conversations together.

      How interesting this blogging world is~~~ I write a post, asking my Heavenly Daddy for advice~~~ and the answer comes from one woman clear across the world-telling me I come from GOOD STOCK. Then You-Dear Betty--you assure me of how Proud he would be of
      me, his daughter, the one he called Sister!!!

      I can put the advice together now-and keep walking my Path, as I refuse to allow Pain to beat me!

      Bless you my dear Betty, Lolita, Veronica, Diane!!

      ((major hugs & love))
      martha

      Delete