Sunday, October 7, 2012

A Steady Hand found Me just in time~~

Our Church is growing rapidly in two ways~~~ the most obvious is so many New Faces coming-I have lost count as the old church pews are crowded each week!  The other noticeable change in growth is the dwindling number of our Older Crowd-of which both of us now find ourselves among, seems like it just happened.  One day everyone is sitting in their usual spots- suddenly I look around to see this small intimate group of familiar faces, age showing its signs as we start to sing and our voices all blend together-making a Joyous noise to the Lord, at least we think its filled with Joy.  

I know these faces well-we have been members of this parish for over 27 years and seen many changes come, especially in the Priest category.  At times it seemed like the door was moving too fast as they came and went in a flash-God must have decided a true change was needed and HE brought us Priests from Nigeria-suddenly we knew it was vital to "Listen Attentively" during services as the thick accent took some getting used to-but their joyous Spirit was like a breath of Fresh Air and now we can't imagine our church without one of these gifted Priests as part of our church family.  

As services began, everything seemed fine-I  noticed my Pain had settled down to a low hum, giving me needed Peace for true concentration on my prayers. The Choir had changed their singing to a beautiful low hum of the song-and within seconds, my body was screaming!  My Pain level went from a gentle hum to a raging Throb and Burning that raced up and down my leg-I needed a place to hide from this tortuous Pain but I didn't want to draw any attention by jumping up and leaving services,
 so my silent battle raged on as I resisted the urge to squirm in my seat.  

My husband sensed something was wrong, whispering as we stood to go receive Communion, "Are you Okay?" My Face told him the answer- sadness filled his face.  He knew our moment of being with God had been interrupted by PAIN, but there was nothing he could do.  We moved forward, when suddenly I felt my bad leg go Numb- as if I was standing on one Leg and a major Fall was headed my way!  In desperation, I grabbed the back of my husband's shirt, trying to hold on-all the while my leg is buckling as a frantic thought races through me-
  "You are Not supposed to fall down in church, what is everybody going to think about you Martha?"

Suddenly I hear the gentle whisper of words "I have you-don't worry" and I was filled with such a sense of Peace and Security.    A dear lady from our Older Crowd walking behind me saw my leg buckle and 
 reached out to steady me, with her arms and especially with words of assurance.  I knew in that moment
God was there~~

My dear husband was filled with worry, ushering me out of the church so fast-giving our Priest a 
Flying Hand shake as I told him "Pain arrived-I have to get home now" and he knew.  
Its one of those days I will never forget-oh I would love to say the Pain eased when I got home, but thats 
not the case-It was another long night of me, Pain and Prayer.

You never know when that "Steady Hand" will be there to assist you, just be grateful for it!

I pray for all who suffer with Chronic Pain-May the Lord comfort you with His Love.

martha 

4 comments:

  1. How awesome this is, Martha! A Steady Hand had your back! That's just like our God!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane!!
      so nice to see your smiling face again! Yes-it truly was a God moment and I was stunned at the peace I felt during that brief exchange.

      I have to keep a cane with me now as both legs are acting up and just deciding to "GO" meaning, feels Like I have nothing in them and they give me no support. Thats okay-its a cool cane made by my 97 year old neighbor, a gift I treasure.....

      had injections today-very sore, and keep hoping we are getting there.... we shall see...

      ((lots of welcome back hugs!)) martha

      Delete
  2. Isn't it just like the pain to invade your worship time. Makes me wonder if the old devil didn't stick your nerve with his pitch fork. But you kicked him out with your cane...hehe...can kicking Martha...yeah I can see it.

    All kidding aside, I am praying for you my friend, that the injections will give you relief and you can have some pain free days. Love Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betty!
      Thank you for the prayers-- I know God is hearing all of them and this helps me a great deal. We were walking into the clinic yesterday morning and it happened again-this time both legs acted up. I discussed it with my doctor and after these shots settle down, we are going to meet and take a good review of things. Probably do a nerve conduction test to see what level the nerve is working at....

      But~~~~~ if things really settle down, we have learned to be so quiet~~~ like not wanting to wake a sleeping giant!!!!

      I would take my Cane and scream Go SIT on a TACK devil and Rotate! than swing my cane around and around!!!

      I am feeling better~~~ and glad to have it.... thanks for caring about me Betty, means so much to me!! martha

      Delete