Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Be Careful when you Park in a Handicap spot~~~

We park in a Handicap Spot-eyes seem to be watching for those obvious signs to tell the world "She doesn't need to Park there-look at her, walking and talking-Nothing is wrong with her!"  Moments like this make me think about  crawling from our vehicle, wondering what reaction this might bring.  We all can choose to "See what we want to" not pausing to think about the need a person has in utilizing this "Sacred Parking Spot!"  Its a given for me that any additional walking to reach a store is only going to increase my already High Pain rate-to a level that feels like my Leg is now being run through the Spin Cycle of a Washing Machine-as the constant Burning in my Leg grows like the flames of a huge Bonfire-all I can do is drag along and hold on for the ride.

Yesterday my husband took me on a ride to some nearby towns, we finally stopped for lunch and there was one Handicap spot left to park in-but it was on an incline and I knew a challenge lay ahead for me to get out of our vehicle without falling on my face.  A couple stood nearby-glaring at us for taking this spot and all I wanted to do was jump out and escape their stares.  Unknown to me, as I stepped out of the door, a slight hole was right in my path-causing me to almost fall, as I grabbed the door and hung on for dear life.

I can't begin to describe my anger at this near fall-so many emotions flew around as I knew my husband was worried that I had probably strained another crumbling piece of my back (yes I have a miserable back problem too) as I start shouting over the roaring traffic, hoping my husband will hear me"I am fine, just Fine"-the observing Couple appears frozen! My Husband yells back "Nope, you messed your back up again, I just know it!"  My voice is rising to a  Screaming sound "It doesn't matter if I messed my Back up, the Raging Sciatic Burn is driving me Batty" as I pause to catch air "Its not my fault there was a stupid hole in the pavement" as dear husband puts an end to our flying words "Well thank God you are going to the hospital Monday!"  

It was like a gate had opened for the couple so they could make a quick get away from this unfortunate moment-but I felt the need to say something nice as they passed by me"Sure is a pretty day isn't it!" No words, nothing to let me know they heard what I said-they just kept moving on.   We found a table and both of us erupted in laughter as to this Moment in the Handicap Spot looked like.  There we were-having a mini-argument, all our fears about extra Pain being unloaded for the world to see-we wondered "did those people think we were nuts or what?"  Strange as it sounds, I didn't feel a second of embarrassment for the brief Verbal exchange witnessed by this couple.  I wanted to tell them my story-how I had now been up for hours with Pain raging all around my leg (the body needs more than three hours of sleep each night) but I had pushed exhaustion and Pain to the side for a while- to be with my husband, enjoying a brief meal as both of us gave Thanks to God for me having not fallen on the Ground!  

There is nothing pretty about Chronic Pain-I am sure the couple only saw a haggard looking woman, dark circles from no sleep, verbally raging across a vehicle to her husband about some stupid hole in the way, and a frustrated husband-convinced this was only bringing further Pain to his wife.  But they missed the Best part,
the two of us walking from the restaurant, holding hands and simply taking in the beauty of a fall day in Texas.  It was a moment of  Joy for me-but it certainly got off to a rather Rocky Start!

Please know I keep all who are suffering with Pain in my Prayers, and if you can find a moment, I sure could use just One Prayer to help me get through this burning battle I face each day.  God bless.

martha




2 comments:

  1. Great capture of a Matt-and-Martha episode. Not to mention your offhand remark to the poor couple. Way to go to finding humor in your dark and hard times. My hat's off to you, Martha. Love, sheryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Sheryl--
      Thank you for the loving words. I didn't know WHAT to say after these folks had witnessed our MOMENT.. Did the best I could at that moment!!

      Yes- I have to keep looking for the humor--because it does help
      to lighten up the DARK days..

      Bless you Sheryl. For your love and support!!

      Love, martha

      Delete