Thursday, August 23, 2012

Are you paying Attention?


Its easy to forget about reaching out to friends- my constant Pain has a way of distracting me from everyone, everything-almost demanding All of my attention.  It seems to go with the Chronic Pain process-we apologize when it hits us that we forgot a loved one's birthday, or  forgot to make that "drop in phone call" to see how friends are doing.

During this past week, a thought kept nagging at me-I felt something was not right with a loving couple we know from our church that we truly cherish as treasured friends.  They are older and yet seem to live life to the fullest, traveling here and there-both enduring various Health problems, but never letting anything bring them to a complete halt.

When they first moved here, we met them one Saturday at Mass and invited them to join us for a Open House Christmas Party we were having.  It was our chance to invite both church friends and community friends-in a small town, everybody knows each other and its a great way to make new friends!  To our delight, they accepted our invitation and our friendship was united from that moment.

They have seen me weather the storms of my own health problems-yet they have battled serious issues on their own, keeping it quiet,  simply plowing through rough seas- a firm smile on their face and a big prayer in their hearts.  Earlier this week, a thought began pulling at me-almost as if I were being asked
 "So have you Checked on these Friends?"  

I made a mental note to call them,  then went about my day-but the message followed me
with greater intensity, "Why haven't you made the phone call-what's holding you up?" 
There was no excuse to make, but I did chalk it up to being in Pain-although it felt pretty weak when I tried offering it as a legitimate reason for not calling our friends. Suddenly the strongest reminder came~
"Are you Paying Attention?"  

At this point, I knew something was wrong with my Friends-and made plans to call their home.  But God knew I needed a stronger reminder~~
Just before I made the phone call, I glanced through our local paper and almost screamed in shock as I read a Public Notice that people issue when the Estate of a Deceased Person is going through Probate!

There in bold letters was the Name of the Husband of this Couple!
This could not be- we would have heard the news of his passing!  After all, we Do live behind the church-I could not put it all together-but the message kept tugging away 
"So, Are you really Paying Attention?"

My fingers could not dial their number fast enough-only to get the answering machine, which raised my fears higher.  I knew it was time to start calling people at church-surely somebody could tell me what was going on, as I prayed, telling God how sorry I was for not paying Attention.

It took one call to learn the wife was being treated for a recurrence of Cancer!  My heart broke-it was the last thing I wanted to hear!  After learning  she was at a major Cancer Center, I dialed the hospital, asked for her by name,  and within seconds- I heard her steady voice on the other end!  We shared a few moments together-as I let her know how much we love them and commented to her "Well, I know this fact-you are one Courageous Woman" and she returned my words, reminding me that I too had a lot of Courage with being in Pain for so long.  Part of me wanted to say "Well I might have some Courage but I just got a big lesson in learning How to Pay Attention!

The outlook is hopeful for my friend- as she made the comment
 "I have to say, these Cancer Centers aren't very keen on letting you think about Dying!"
I didn't share with her about the final "Jolt" it took to get my full attention-I will hold that one silent until they both get back home and we can visit them both as I share my reminder
"Are you Paying Attention?"

I ask God to please heal my friend and bring her back to good health, so she can have many joyous moments with family and friends.

God be with all who are suffering.
martha



4 comments:

  1. Martha, I am so sorry I haven't been here for a long time.

    We just had a long weekend holiday which extended to Tuesday, and then things at the office needing attention. And then our internet crawls like a centipede.

    Anyway, if I see posts from Martha, I know that my Martha is our there in Blanco, raising her flag of defiance to Pain.

    Sorry too that there are friends needing attention and that you feel guilty and not want to make Pain as an excuse to failing from checking on them. Good that you have checked on this lady at the C Center. I too admire her spirit and positivity. It makes me ashamed for times that I too make excuses over things that are manageable and looks too little compared to some are in.

    Anyway, Martha. I hope that you are now moving as normally as possible after that shot.

    Blessings to you and to Matt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lolita-
      No Excuses are needed from you! Your loving Heart is "always" on the job-we all feel it and draw deep comfort from you. This is life-we do get busy-feel bad, the list goes on~~ the main thing is our caring for each other, which lets God know "These Women are doing my Work-they are caring for another person!"

      The shot helped----but the Pain shifted to the lower part of my legs, it feels like the Pain simply found some "Fresh Meat" and is chewing away! But I am not alone-Matt's back went out (he has both a herniated disc and a bulging disc) so we are Sharing Pain Together!

      He is a great Pain Partner-but I do hate seeing him hurt. We have been to the Pain Doctor and she is treating his back! His will usually calm down quickly. Lucky Guy----no, I mean that. For anybody to get relief from Pain-I cheer them on!

      So good to just Hear from you Lolita! your words always lift me up.

      love, martha

      Delete
  2. Sometimes in the midst of all going on in our lives, God's spirit nudges are like a background drumming until something jolts us as you said... but it is so moving to know that God does put us on each other's heart like that, isn't it? Glad you were able to give her your love, and her inspiration to you too... God's connections carry us through... It sounds like then, that the name in the paper was NOT her husband?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam-
      The name in the paper was definitely not her husband. I have a feeling they will get a very good laugh out of my seeing the name and being jolted into action!

      Yes, God certainly had them on my heart and sent me "Messages" that got my attention!

      A loving and amazing God we are blessed with!

      thanks for the sweet words Pam. Martha

      Delete