Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Sharing Pain Together~~~

Its one thing to see a stranger suffering with Pain-I don't know the person yet feel an instant Ache in my heart as I see the all too familiar signs of Pain.  After all the years of walking my own path with Pain,  I find myself taking part in an Unspoken Language silently flowing among us. A half-hearted Smile is shared, then a look passes between us-allowing the Heart to Speak through our Eyes ~~

God be with you, How we wish the Pain wasn't here today!

We walk away, maybe sneaking one more glance at how destructive Chronic Pain can be-yet squaring our shoulders, pushing our aching bodies to stand a bit taller as a way of telling Pain, "You do not have all of us on this Day!  So leave us alone for a while-give us a few moments in this day to recall what life was like before Pain showed up!"

But everything gets turned upside down when the one you love the most suddenly finds Pain wrapped around their body!  My dear husband has suffered with back problems since the late 1980's-he was doing what so many police officers do for extra money-spending hours on an off-duty job.  This was a special one, as the late Pope John Paul had made a visit to San Antonio and every officer was needed for extra security.  It had rained the day before his scheduled arrival-Golf Carts were used to run quick errands and one was stuck in the mud.  Another officer and my husband decided to simply put some "muscle" to the bumper and figured they could Lift it out of the mud!  Big-very big mistake.  Matt slipped in the mud-end result was a Bulging Disc in his back

The Signs of another Flare-up arrived this week and I flew into Nurse Martha action,  grabbing heating pads, ice bags, an extra pillow to elevate his feet-hoping to take the pressure off his back! Frustration rises in him as I walk around, watching him like a Mother Hen with her baby chicks.  There is no hesitation in my husband as I called my Pain Management Doctor this morning, getting an appointment scheduled quickly so his Pain can be eased-lets be honest, when a man does not protest about having to see a Doctor, its a sure fire-bet, all he wants is quick Relief! 

Yesterday I glanced up from my Embroidery work (keeping the hands busy) the image of us had me silently laughing~~ my husband lay peacefully sleeping on the sofa with Heating Pad on High,  I sat in my chair, Heating Pad on Low!  Husband and Wife-sharing our Pain Together!

My prayer for today is~~
God, please help ease Matt's Pain.

For everyone who is suffering with Chronic Pain, you are in my prayers always. 
martha

  


No comments:

Post a Comment