Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Two Peas in a Pod~~

"Okay-lets make this look Good!"

Yes, this is my Daddy, laying in a hospital bed and I managed to find room beside him for this photo, which was probably taken in late 2002.  It only takes a few seconds for the tears to start as I look at this and think, 
"Well Daddy, I could really use some of your Face the Facts words" but then I realize my Daddy is free of Pain, no more suffering and he is with my Moma-as they rest peacefully in Heaven.  

 Ten years have flown by since this moment was captured on film.  The reality of that number-Ten Years-hits me like a brick being smashed through a window, my battle against Pain has been moving along-and I have faced major times of severe illness.  But by the amazing grace of God, I am still here on this day-and I have the blessing of this photo-no matter the emotional Pain it brings.  

Daddy spent many hellish days in the hospital, as he battled Cancer-going through the nightmare of Chemotherapy Treatments, never complaining that much-just holding firm to a quiet acceptance of all that was happening to him.  One awful day is burned into my memory-I had just walked into his room, having no understanding as to the side-effects of Cancer treatment-until that one day as Daddy had just been brought back to his room.  

It seemed as if Hell surrounded my Dad-he was violently ill, all I could do was hold him up, shoving  a
much need container his way- while silently begging "Dear God, help me find a Nurse-Fast!"  I kept telling him everything would be okay- but he knew, nothing was okay and finally told me, 
"Sister, don't worry about it.  I'm not worth all the bother."  

At that moment,  something stirred deep inside me, I wanted to Find a weapon to beat this illness away from my Dad-as it took him so far down that he felt worthless, not wanting to bother anyone with his problems.  I stopped pushing the dreaded Nurse Call Button and moved into high gear, gently 
easing Daddy back onto the bed-as I rushed around the room, grabbing towels to clean him up and finding a fresh gown to put on him.  In short-I was determined to give my Father Dignity on this ugly day.  

My actions that day helped us both to understand why he often called me "Trouble" because if anybody had tried to stop me from helping Daddy at that moment-well I think they would have found themselves sitting on the floor-outside the room!  As I approached him to remove the soiled gown, the "man" still inside him rose up, as he said "Now Sister, thats something those Nurses can do-you just leave me be!"

We locked eyes for a brief moment, and Trouble said," Daddy, there is No way I will let you stay in that Gown!  Just look away and I will get this done, lickety-split!"  I can still see him glaring at me-as a weak smile formed and he said "Well Sister, I guess you best get with it!"

So I guess its a pretty good assessment to say we were indeed Two Peas in a Pod-both of us stubborn, determined to hold our own ground,  but never losing sight of our Love for each other.

I thank God for having this amazing man as my Dad.

Thanks for allowing me to share.
martha 




4 comments:

  1. Thank you also for sharing this to us, Martha.

    You are so right, I got the idea that patients gets well being when they are neat, and feel neat.

    A 7th day Adventist Hospital are fond of giving a basin with hot water and towel every morning to let the patients bath-towel themselves presentable.

    That was dignity-giving by far. And you gave those to Dad. They were tender moments and you got that strength from him too, did I not tell you before?

    And the painful memory of illness can be replaced now by the thought that he is with God now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lolita-
      Yes my friend-you indeed have told me I get my Strength from this man, my Daddy! Late this afternoon, I sat down and told Matt about writing this Post, sharing the story with him-when it suddenly hit me:

      I might be worn down from this Pain, but there is Still Me here to continue on! Daddy would tell me "Sister, you just got to toughen it up--You Can do it!" He is right and what a glorious peace to know, Yes my Parents are in Heaven-and will never suffer again.

      It means a great deal to me Lolita for your caring words as I take these moments in the Blog world and share about my Dad, or being young-I guess there is a Story being told here, Me falling from a tree-and now seeing just how far I have come!

      Thank you Lolita for simply being YOU. martha

      Delete
  2. This was a precious post Martha...you had a wonderful Dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Betty!

      Thank you-without doubt I was a Daddy's Girl and loved him so very much!! Thank you for saying he was wonderful!!!

      (((love)))
      martha

      Delete