Saturday, August 4, 2012

Staying Busy-keeping Pain at bay~~

First-this is so easy to say, but at times, almost impossible to do!  I don't have to hunt for  busy work, its usually right at my fingertips-as I embroidery some new design and  my fingers fly through the work.  My dear friend, Charles also has a way of staying busy, when his Pain level rises, he takes a short ride to his large self-built automotive garage and spends time putting long forgotten vehicles back together-giving them a chance to run again and give their owner a moment of Joy as they take the vehicle out for a glorious spin on the open road.

People talk about reading when Pain is throbbing-others will take a slow walk, if their Pain will move over and allow them a  chance to get outside.  The list of "Staying Busy" is endless-yet the time comes when we are tired and must stop, knowing Pain has been waiting patiently for this moment so it can come roaring back-always letting us know its still here, but guess what, So are We!

When I finally admitted to being Bone Weary from Pain-it did feel like I had stepped away from the Battle, and I didn't know what to do for a while.  My biggest fear was that Pain would take off like an Olympic Hurdle Jumper-running fast, jumping high and pushing me to the side.  But I learned a very important lesson, its okay to be honest and face the facts-Pain is punishing on the body-anybody who deals with it will find themselves feeling totally spent, almost down for the count!

These are the moments when I reach hard for God's helping hand-I can find my way through this battle, but I know God is  beside me, giving that silent "support" that lets me know, "okay Martha-you have just hit a rough patch-dust those worries off your shoulders, I will not leave you-ever!"  


It amazes me as I watch the Olympic Athletes performing-I began to see two simple elements in these brave people-first, they have devoted their life to training for this one special moment.
Second- watch their faces when it appears their Race is lost- you will see the look of Sheer Determination deep within their hearts-they will finish the race, win or lose!  Its raw and brutal at times, but they finish with heads held high, knowing they gave everything possible to this goal.

I am not an athlete, don't see any races in my future, but without question, I will stay the course and carry my Pain-God is with me and I will Never Allow Pain to Beat Me.  Life can be so fleeting, and I choose to battle the Pain and keep working to find a simple second of Joy in my day.  It showed up today as I pushed myself to enjoy a simple visit with dear friends-before I knew it, laughter filled my heart with Joy!

Be strong-learn all you can about your Pain-Rest often and Pray!  I am with you in Prayer, asking God to help all who suffer with Chronic Pain.

martha


2 comments:

  1. Martha, it makes me happy to know you had some joy moments visiting with friends and the laughter can steer you from the pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lolita-
      I will take any bit of JOY possible-it did help move my mind away from the Constant Pain.

      Bless you for the kind words.

      love, martha

      Delete