Monday, August 27, 2012

The "Silent Pain" that joins Chronic Pain

Today I saw one of my older neighbors, a man with a heart of gold, always smiling, always wanting to know how I am feeling-and there on his body was Pain in every manner possible.  Yet he again asked how I was doing-thinking of others, not worrying about his own condition.  The Look of Pain surrounded him.  All I could think was "God he doesn't deserve this suffering!"

I know the Pain Look all too well-we visited for a few moments, and it was clear he needed to find a place to sit down, so the Pain would not scream so loud in his body.  He told me that one morning he got up-and here was the result!  My heart was breaking for him, all I could do was stand and listen.  There was no mention of his daughters being aware of his condition-but something tells me they do keep a close watch on their Dad.  

But what about the countless others who have no family to drop in for a visit-how do they handle this Silent Pain?  Some family members can't handle being around Chronic Pain-they work hard to keep a distance from Pain,  feeling if they get too close, it  might spread their way.  These are the people who must add an extra load of Pain to their already full plate of Chronic Pain-facing the painful reality that nobody will knock on their door, checking to see how their day is going.  Many families are broken with emotional wounds that never go away-but when we rise above the ache, suddenly right in front of us~~

God has an abundance of "extended family members" to be with us during the darkest moments of Pain-we call them friends, but without question, they are Family to us and if we need them, they are here anytime of the day-no matter the situation or need.  Having them in our lives helps push the "Silent Pain" away, as Love is poured over us.  Suddenly special times are shared- holidays, special trips, movie nights, or sharing a meal together-these are moments that fill our hearts with Joy and we thank God for the blessing of them.  

As we age, that term "Empty Nesters" arrives-but need not be a time of mourning, instead I believe God is giving us all a chance to reach out, pushing beyond the Pain and make a choice to Live!  Yes- Pain will follow me all the way-but I have a loving husband and the best "extended Family" in the world and I thank God each day for these Gifts! 

So when you see an older neighbor on the street-stop and give them a friendly greeting!  At that one moment in time, you have stepped up to ease their Silent Pain and given them a reminder, we are all Extended Family Members to each other!

God be with you.  I pray for everyone who suffers with Pain.

martha

No comments:

Post a Comment