Friday, August 17, 2012

Spend an evening in your Local ER Room......

Nobody likes to spend anytime at their local Emergency Room but this is real life and "stuff" happens-so we find the door, sometimes dragging ourselves in for some medical help.

Without question-in all the years I have been living with Pain, the ER is a place I know pretty well-wish it wasn't this way, but as I said, "Stuff Happens!"  Last night was my time to be there, as I had been feeling pretty rotten all week long with what I call a very Irritable Tummy-which decided to have a Temper Tantrum last night and I was begging for relief of the Pain and Nausea.

They wheeled me in quickly-primarily because some of my symptoms were those "key" words that make the medical profession think "do we have a heart attack victim here?"  I had so many people buzzing around me-being thorough, fast, and very caring.  The immediate tests were done and it was a relief to know-all was clear with my old Heart, now we needed to address my tummy!  Oh how I wish this process had gone faster, but it took most of the night, trying out several medications, and numerous tests to finally get to the bottom of my Angry Gut!

My dear husband was there-no complaining, watching the television (yes even the ER believes in keeping some form of entertainment going) and it helped pass the hours.  Around 2:00am, we finally got permission for me to go home, some prescriptions in hand and a promise from me that I would see my Tummy doctor this week-not a hard promise to make, believe me!

One thing I also learned last night-the ER is a place where Suffering seems to never stop.  A man next door was in agony-you couldn't miss that familiar sound of "oh God please help me" and I know he was being attended to quickly.  Another woman-perhaps a wife or close family member of someone was wailing "No, No, oh please No!"  When I heard those words, I prayed for God to help her-knowing He was there to help all who flowed in and out the ER doors.

My Nurse looked so tired as we got ready to head home-but still had many hours ahead of her, as more would come through those doors, aching, damaged, hurting-all in need of a gentle touch, helping to calm them and help them through this night.

I hated feeling rotten last night-but came away with a sense of peace, a greater awareness of how special these medical people are who work in the ER room-they see people at their worst moments, and yet stay calm as they go about the job of helping their fellow man.

If you get a chance-say a prayer of Thanks for these people~  who knows when your time might come that you will be in their midst, hurting and needing help!  God picks special Angels to do this job!

God bless you.

martha

No comments:

Post a Comment