Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Hurricanes & Chronic Pain-can they connect?

Yes-the answer came to me during the wee hours of the morning when the Burning in my butt, leg and foot (which had been at a low hum, giving me a glimmer of hope) suddenly went off like a Smoke Detector and it wasn't smoking-it was Burning like a Red hot Fire!

As I made a rapid move to find my trusty heating pad-my husband knew what was wrong as he commented
"So I guess its safe to say Hurricane Issac finally arrived!"  I growled back with a misery-filled "What was your first Clue Dear?"  People think its strange that a weather event , thousands of miles away could make a change in my Pain-but its true.  As Barometric pressure rises, it has a major impact on any Nerve in the body that is damaged and trust me--my Pain dial seems to have been turned up to a level I had forgotten and nothing calms it down.

I prayed, twisted the leg around, prayed again-then got up and walked around the house as I waited for this terrible Pain to ease.  Lets just say a very Long Night has turned into a very Long Day!  The local news gave me hope-as I heard the Hurricane had finally made landfall.  Believe me, I feel for the people who have lost their homes to this terrible Hurricane, and pray there will be no loss of life.  
Yet I am human-and Pain is wicked, and all I can do is pray tonight will be better.  

This made me pause and look away from my own Pain-thinking about so many other people who live with damaged nerves-I thought about our Young Military Men & Women-those who are now missing limbs from the horror of war, and my heart ached because I knew-they too were feeling the Hurricane.  Just because a limb is no longer there-do not think for a second that Nerve Pain will not happen!  
Its called Phantom Nerve Pain and is very real, and horribly Painful.

I hope the Hurricane season goes by quickly-but whatever is meant to happen with the weather, thats up to the good Lord.  He will help me through these rough times.

I pray tonight for those who are without their homes-and ask God to be with them in this time of loss.

Please keep all who suffer with Chronic Pain in your thoughts and prayers~~~

Prayer works~~

I am living proof of it.

God bless you all.
martha


4 comments:

  1. Yeah, I made it to your blog. Hopefully, I will be able to post this comment!

    Life goes on around us inspite of what we go through. Sometimes, pain can cause us to be so self-consumed. I love this about you, Martha, it causes you to look outside yourself and be very away of all the suffering around you. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane-
      Thanks for the inspiring words. I don't see myself that way-especially when Pain is taking me for the Ride of my Life!!

      You are very caring to say this about me. It touches me deeply.

      God BLess and (((hugs)))martha

      Delete
  2. Good morning my friend...the weather people should just call you and you could have told exactly when it hit. Praying it will pass over quickly and no lives are taken.

    Ace had a pretty good night, he has no fever right now and ate most of his breakfast, praise the Lord. I will post more on fb after the doctors come in. He gets an MRI today for the mass on his lungs. He is totally wore out from all this, it will take a while to recover and he may not recover completely just because of age. Hope you get some relief today. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty-
      I have NO doubt-GOD intervened and Ace will recover. But I agree with you-on one area, Recovery can take such a long time. When I had the massive Staph infection back in 2001, it took a full Four Years for me to feel like myself again.

      They sent me home attached to IV Antibiotics for two months-then it took me another two months to finally be able to walk around the outside area of our home. I am Not talking the entire place, just our HOUSE!!!! People came in to do the cleaning, food was brought here on a regular basis.

      It is hard--very hard, but my heart tells me Ace has been spared and it might be his time to just settle down... But dear Friend, trust me when I say this-its so HARD to do.. So VERY HARD!!!!

      We are changed from life-threatening illness-nothing is ever the same again. But by HIS grace, we adapt!!!!

      What does Ace enjoy doing-fish, golf, etc???

      let me know!!! at your convenience. i love you betty. martha

      Delete