Saturday, August 18, 2012

A Special Day~~~

My Parents-on their Wedding Day
August 16th, 1947
"Dorothy & Calvert"

This is a photo I treasure-seeing my parents on their Special day, both of them filled with Youth and ready to start their married life together!  Daddy had already been through WWII-making it back home after having seen Six Major Campaigns in the Pacific-serving  in the Infantry.

I try to imagine letters going back and forth between them while he was away, they had known each other for many years-in those days neighbors were always around to help each other-whether it meant building a barn, bringing in a crop, or helping offer a quiet shoulder of strength to lean upon when it was needed.

This is the only photo I have of them on their Wedding Day-and this photo didn't surface until  Moma had passed away and Daddy was fighting his own health woes.  Once in a while, I would ask questions of how they got started in those early days-Moma never failed to share her "worst" memory, which happened the morning after their Wedding.  They started life out in a small cabin that had a dirt floor-which sounded terrible to me, but just went with the territory for her.  She talked about the pride of rushing around to get their First Breakfast prepared, getting everything on the table and breathing a sigh of Newly Married Jitters as she anxiously watched to see how her husband would love the meal~

Daddy was a man of few words, telling it like he saw it-Moma said he looked at the food, while holding a hot cup of Coffee and in a matter-of-fact tone, said
 "Wife, You forgot the Bread!"

I can still see her face as she told me this story-its like the memory had hit again-her being there, a brand new wife and realizing, Breakfast was going to take a while because she had to make some Biscuits-Fast!  Everything was cooked on a wood stove, there was no convenience store to zip out to for a loaf of bread.  

She did tell me that Daddy sat in silence, drinking extra cups of Coffee and when the hot biscuits arrived, made sure to heap words of praise on those last minute biscuits!  I am sure that was the only time she forgot to have Bread ready for the meal.

Life had to be so hard for them in those early years-but people didn't fuss about it-because that was the way of Life back then.  As Daddy told me once "Sister-you just took whatever came your Way" and I knew they both worked together-making the best out of life.  

God blessed them with 54 years of marriage, Four Children and a parcel of grandkids too.  They didn't need much-Life had given them all they needed, anything extra was a blessing for them.

I had wanted to post this on their Wedding Anniversary this week, but I forgot.  Something tells me they would not fuss about this.  I imagine hearing them say
"Now Sister, Don't worry about us!  We are Just Fine!"

I miss them so much-it hurts!  But then I step away from my own selfish needs and look up toward Heaven-and I smile with Joy!  They are at peace, standing with God and all their loved ones who had already gone and were waiting for them!

God blessed me with these two wonderful people that I call 
Moma & Daddy!

Thanks for letting me share them with you!
martha


No comments:

Post a Comment