Friday, April 20, 2012

Disaster Waiting to Happen!

For anybody who knows me pretty well, they always say "If an accident can happen, Martha will probably be nearby!"  My dear husband never forgets our Wedding Anniversary as I start  a month ahead of time, reminding him "Heh-you know we are getting really close to our 37th Anniversary, Remember?"  He will give me a look as if to say "Do you really think I would Ever Forget the day we got Married?"  My heart soars from those words and we don't feel the need to impress each other with gifts, as we know our Marriage is the Best Gift we could ever have!

Yet I know he sees all the things I can't do and so he started talking about doing something "special" this time, asking me if I wanted to travel somewhere (yeh, me in a car, miserable from sitting after the first ten minutes" and he knew-bad idea, and moved on to ask me if I wanted something, maybe a new Television?  My dear husband-I could see his face-as it hit him "Oh No-lets see how FAST she grabs this idea" and yes-I was running with it.  We have an older television that seems to weigh about one thousand pounds and we had been talking about the fact it was getting close to never coming on again, and so I jumped on the idea and suggested we go the next day-just to "Look" at some televisions.

We did shop and found a new one within minutes-both of us knew this was what we wanted and did not waste time, but told the excited sales clerk "write the order up, lets get this moving" and we were out of there within an hour. All we could talk about while driving home was how much fun it would be to watch the news,special shows on this new television. Then reality set in as it us, the old monster television needed to be moved to make place for the new one-all I could think was "How in the world will we do this?"

We decided the time had arrived, me promising to not touch a thing, my husband would do it all and if the old machine dropped and broke, well perhaps it was Meant to be that way!  The First Disaster happened when my husband started moving the monster-as it started to slide and he was on the ground, in its path!  I stood frozen-as my husband got whacked by the fall, but he moved just in time for it to only hit part of his leg!  He stood up fast, making sure that nothing was broken and on we went.

It was a comedy of errors-we figured our elderly neighbors were watching and wondering "who will go down first" as we pushed and pulled the monster outside, and somehow My husband managed to load it on a trailer.  My husband was so happy- and invited me to "Jump up on the Trailer" and without a thought, I did!  Disaster had arrived again-the second I moved my bad leg to step up,  my back "Screamed at me" and I knew-PAIN just arrived again! I sat down, with my husband looking at me, knowing what had happened.   He just shook his head in frustration, wishing we had never tried this.  Now he wanted the job done-so we could get away from the old monster television but as he went to push it over so it would sit flat, Disaster was still waiting and suddenly the Monster had landed on his Foot!

"Oh dear, Did that Hurt?"  The look on his face was all I needed for an answer and so we limped back inside, searching for heating pads and Pain relief.  Thank Goodness, I will be visiting my Pain doctor in the morning-but HOW will I explain about the Monster Television!

Today Disaster took two victims-it will be nice to just lay around on the sofa and let our new wounds ease a bit.  My Joy for this day was simply being able to still walk!

4 comments:

  1. I am glad, that monster is finally out of the house, with some injuries of course.

    What a way to battle with a Monster TV.

    Hope the foot is not too bad, and yours too, Martha. You were a little adventurous to jump up in the trailer with the favored foot.

    Anyway, Happy watching with the new, I know, thin and flat TV. It would display a better projection of the shows you are gonna watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Lolita-
      we are SO glad the Monster TV is gone! But it claimed another "victim" when Matt dropped it off at our "Trash Cleanup Day" as a big guy walked up and started trying to grab it! Matt tried to warn him, saying "Heh, this old thing is really Heavy, you might want to get some help with it!"

      Now this guy was a big man, muscles bulging and Matt said he just tossed the suggestion aside and said 'Don't Worry Man, I got it!" So Matt just waited and watched as the guy grabbed the MONSTER, and immediately was laying on the ground, MONSTER quietly resting on top of him as the guy looks up at Matt and says "Man-you were RIGHT!" Quickly several men showed up and helped both the guy Up and then all of them "man-handled" the Old Monster to its final resting spot!!

      Nobody injured-Thank you God-as for me, I will never "Hop" up on a trailer again! I swear-it reminded me a bit of the wicked tree, that seemed to just keep claiming victims!

      Our New TV will arrive on Tuesday-just two days before our 37th Wedding Anniversary! Of course we also spent most of the day yesterday at my Pain Doctor (yes-thats what my Hopping up onto the Trailer did) and as we shared the Story of us fighting with the Monster TV-well lets just say the "Look" on her face was not a happy one. We both promised to NEVER do something like this again.

      Bless you for checking in and leaving your loving words.

      As I always say, "its NEVER dull around here!"

      Have a blessed day Lolita! Martha

      Delete
  2. Martha, truly, you make me laugh...I got hysterical at the line: "It was a comedy of errors-we figured our elderly neighbors were watching and wondering "who will go down first"..." I couldn't read another word I was laughing so hard. I had to get up from the chair and walk around.

    Now, I feel guilty, as I don't know if you meant this post to be funny. I sure am not laughing AT your "disasters", but your presentation of those situations. I do not make light of your Pain plight at all.

    But, you do make me laugh! Am I the only one???

    You two would make a great reality show! You're like the Lucy and Ricky of Texas!

    I love you. Thank you for giving me a dose of medicine so early in the morning!

    I just realized: I had a horrible night. Sleep eluded me, pain pounded me. When I finally got up, I realized I was angry. Angry that sleeping soundly is such a battle for me. But, here I am, reading Martha and my anger is gone, replaced by joy.

    Thank you, Precious Friend! You are a gift to me!

    You and Matt can lay around watching your new TV! So, REST!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane-
      Well you were on target-I really did want to show some of the "humor" at this crazy episode we took on. It was everything I described and more! Our elderly neighbors do "Watch" over us and I know they were glued to the window, just waiting to see if they might have to make a quick call for Emergency Medical Services!

      I am sorry that sleep hid from you and that wicked PAIN was at work on your precious Body. Don't worry about the Anger-Matt tells me that he knows when I haven't rested well as he hears the Tone of my voice-as I am getting up and probably look like I did battle with myself during the night.

      If I was able to give you even a second of JOY-praise GOD!! That is my JOY for this day!! I wanted to look at my blog last night but Matt reminded me the Pain doctor had given me a shot for the Pain and probably anything I wrote would ramble and make no sense.

      We are both better today-having slept peacefully. I will be calling my Pain doctor's office in the morning to schedule a procedure that will NUMB both of my legs-to the point I will need to use my old trusty Walker. It sounds rough but it is the only only thing that takes this miserable Burning in my leg and foot and chases it away! Never permanent but omg-I will take relief any day of the week.

      Thank you for claiming me as your FRIEND and me being a GIFT to you! What more could I ever ask for?

      Take it slow my dear friend. God is using your heart in so many directions-HE will help keep your Feet on HIS path!!

      You my dear-are the inspiration for all-believe me!!

      Love, Martha

      Delete