Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Rough days of Pain....

I look toward the distant sky-hoping there are some clouds growing dark, giving me the "common" reason as to why my Pain level has risen and seems to have no stopping point.  Nope-clouds are not dark, the sun is bright and here I am, in what we Texans call "Kick-Butt Pain" and the logic in my brain tells me "Heh Kid, you know how this works-so you just better dig in harder!"

My mind was running over things I could do-maybe even push myself a bit further and suddenly it hit me "I know a job I can handle-its sitting just outside the door of my office in the yard, waiting for somebody to take it out of the way!"  Wow, I was off and scrambling to find tools I hadn't touched in a long time, but found them and finally stood face to face with my job-tearing the Dog House down we had built many years ago for our Dog who passed away a few years ago.

God is amazing as to how He watches over me-I started this project with such gusto, not even thinking as to where my dear husband might be, only knowing I was going to get this job done and show him I still had some strength left in me.  Silly me, as I began pulling boards off, throwing them out of my path of work, he stood quietly out by our barn, watching me, waiting to see if I fell, which is what we both dread the most and yet giving me all the space I needed to try to do this task.

Less than thirty minutes later and only a few boards removed, I had dragged my aching body back to the house, grabbing a glass of water, stretching out in my chair, and realizing "Martha-Your Pain is still here, what do you think will happen if you keep going back out there?"  I simply shook those thoughts away and headed back to the old Dog House again.  I finally managed to get the roof taken loose, after pulling, tugging, struggling with the last of my remaining strength  and as Pain began to scream at me, I threw all my tools on the ground and slowly walked toward the barn where my husband still stood, watching me.

I can't put into words how much it bothered me to let these words come out of my mouth, and saying them felt worse "Heh, Husband-guess you have seen what I decided to work on, right!"  He was very silent and said "Yes, so how is it going?"  It was a low moment-but I knew the answer and said "Its Not going at all and if you don't mind, I could use your help-because if I keep going like this, we both know what will happen!"

Long story short-He knew it was time to step in and we both finished the old Dog house off.  Later as I was sitting with him on our front porch, I asked him "So tell me how pitiful it looked as I struggled out there" and he was wonderful but honest "Martha-it looked like you just kept walking around it, trying so hard to pull a board off  and then you would do the same thing again!  I was just waiting-and praying you would stop and realize, you were in over your head."

He was so very right and the only reason I had even started this job was to do something, anything that would take my mind off this miserable Pain.  I have my normal moans and groans, but try to keep the real complaining to a minimum if possible.  Lately-I can't even do that because this Burning in my Butt that then runs all the way down my leg and then takes every bit of my foot and just keeps Burning , day and night-well it's taken a lot out of me.

Pain is so tough on the body-and thats why I know the importance to keep trying, don't just give up completely-yet I will be the first one to say there are many days where I will just do a lot of NOTHING.

I learned a lesson with the Dog House-a painful lesson and will not try that again.  God gives me free will and Chronic Pain is a daily lesson of learning-how to handle these tough days, how to let go of things I loved doing, how to face the reality of my life with Pain, and most of all, be thankful for how much God loves me.

Thanks for letting me ramble a bit-and please feel free to drop in and do the same.  I have a good listening ear, a burning butt and an open heart.  God bless all of you. Martha

6 comments:

  1. Nothing like a good listening ear, a burning butt, and an open heart! I love to drop in on you, Martha. You and Matt and your Texas ranch. Truly, I do. So, thank you for the invite.

    In my class, I recommended your blog to someone who is suffering. I can't remember his name. Hopefully, he will stop by too. After all, there is nothing like a Texan with a burning butt!

    LOL....I sure hope I gave you a chuckle today. I pray you have SOME relief, Sister! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane-
    You are right-there is NOTHING like a Burning Butt!! This did make me smile today-and thank you for suggesting my Blog to another who suffers with Pain. This was one of my hardest posts yet-not because I couldn't find the right words from my heart to put down-but just the other aspect-My heart Ached as I let it open and admit just how Dang Rough these days have been lately.

    hopefully my RELIEF will come on May 07th-thats my procedure day and I am praying it will help me a BUNCH-as it has in the past. Sometimes I worry that people think "Well gee-you are getting the same procedure again, why do it? If its not curing your Pain-why put yourself through this?

    This is the HARD part for me-I put myself through these procedures over and over AGAIN because my Pain is never going to be cured! Its the cold hard slap in the face Fact. These procedures are a life-line for me!!!
    Believe me when I say this-as the day of the appointment gets closer, I will ask my husband "So how many HOURS do I have to hang in there until my DATE is here?" He will tell me and even when its 200+ hours, I say this from my heart-"Martha-thats not too long, you can do this! Just hang in there-before you know it, the day will be here!"

    I probably should have done this in a post-but as I sat down and read your comment, the words started coming and nothing was going to stop them. God is with me, every step of the way and I know-with HIM by my side, I will continue to say "PAIN WON'T BEAT ME!"

    love you dear Diane. Thank you for helping me "open" the words. Martha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Martha, I love your spirit! I chuckled at you going, "Heh, Husband-guess you have seen what I decided to work on, right!" It just seems so unfair, my dear friend for someone with all that will to do things to have to fight everyday to get some pleasure out of physical life. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Veronica-
    Your insight is "Spot On"-meaning in plain words-You Get It! Yes, It does feel very unfair at times to be in such a battle against Pain-but I know that with each day God gives me, I can make it through these tough days.

    Life can be very unfair-but I am the person who started this journey with Pain by making a very dumb decision. The Best part of this is-finally being able to FORGIVE myself!! That is a major victory and has given me Peace and a understanding-I can do this. After all, the best we really can do is simply take ONE DAY AT A TIME!

    Thank you dear Veronica. You are very wise, and your heart is amazing.

    Bless you. Martha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha-

      I had to come back another time to put some words here. It is easier for me to keep silent for a while because I am at a loss for something to say. I know the feeling exactly.

      I remember a time I prayed so hard over my left hand which was stiff and inflamed. I had eaten something that triggered my uric acids to the max. It felt like some concrete was stuffed in it and it was pulsing and burning. I told God that I will never again complain about the only one at home who does all the chores because it is better than never being able to do anything at all. Soooo frustrating it was.

      Martha, we are the same in spirit too, we love physical activities. If one is fond of climbing trees and taking up space and speed, the frustration of just doing a lot of NOTHINGS would be doubly unbearable. I know deep inside me that you just didn't like to make a barrage of complaints to come out your mouth, you'd saw it wiser to do something physically challenging instead.

      I am glad the tools didn't land on the aching leg and am so relieved you can write about it in your blog.

      Well Sister, I too, wants to complain to God how unfair it is for one to be in such pain day in and day out.

      Mister God, please do something about Martha's pain. Please give her time out Lord! In the name of Jesus, Amen.

      My touch upon your pain Martha is sent over with my love. Hang on, Sister!

      Delete
    2. Lolita-
      My BUTT thanks you, my LEG thanks you and my FOOT thank you for this special "DIRECT" prayer to God! I know HE is listening and understanding your message of hope!

      I will be going through a bigger injection process on May 07th-where both of my legs will be so NUMB-that I will need to probably pull myself around with a walker for a day or two. But it is the only thing that has put this "Particular" pain at ease for quite a while..

      Yes-I am glad nothing was banged up as I made the pitiful attempt to do some work.

      I "feel" your loving touch Lolita and rest assured, this "Texas Sister" is hanging on, even if its by my toenails!!!

      God bless you and keep you in His loving Embrace. Martha

      Delete