Monday, April 2, 2012

Heaven-how do we describe it?

My dear Father passed away in 2003 and yet it feels like he has only been gone a short while.  We talked about lots of things as I visited him-questions about how my husband was doing, what all was happening on our farm and the list would go on.  I delighted in listening to him predict how large our hay crop would be and I would give him a story of me doing something silly, like running over a ball of  Orange Fishing Line as I was mowing and wondering "why is this orange stuff following me?" and he would howl with laughter, talking about the big mess it must have made.  These were joyous conversations that are stored away in my heart and bring me joy when I recall them.

One day  I walked in-gave him a hug but noticed his eyes had a far-away look in them and he was very quiet, which worried me.  I sat down and finally asked him "Daddy-what is wrong?"  He kept looking out the window and then said "Sister, I don't think the good Lord is going to open those gates for me, because I probably don't deserve to go to Heaven!"

My heart broke apart at these words-I knew my Dad trusted in the Lord and hearing such doubt in his words left me speechless, but I could see how heavy the load was for him and felt that a major task lay ahead for me to answer his questions.  Without hesitating, I sat straight up and told him "Daddy-you are a good Christian man-I just know the Lord would not shut you out and besides, Moma is there now and she is waiting to see you!"  His mind was full of thought as he lay there, with his hands inter-laced as he moved his thumbs in a race, simply going round and round, just like the path of our words being spoken.

I knew we were far from finished with this serious conversation as more questions started coming from him "Okay-tell me what you know about Heaven!"  There would be no "Dressing Up" the words for this and I simply told him, "Daddy, I think Heaven has to be a Paradise, its beyond anything we understand."  I quickly added words he could relate to "Oh I bet there is a lot of  Fishing in Heaven-remember about Jesus feeding thousands with just a few loaves of bread and some fish!"  Silence filled the air as he mulled my words over and then asked "So Sister, Who Do I talk to about getting inside Heaven once I am at the Gates?"

My Dad-simple, to the point, no hidden agenda, waiting to see if I thought what he said was silly and I knew he was pouring his heart out to me, so all I could think to say  was this "Well Daddy, I believe Saint Peter is at the Gates-just speak with him and Moma will probably be right there, waving you on in!" Silent prayers were rushing all around me because Dad knew his time was probably not long and he needed words of assurance- and would never have spoken to anyone else-just his daughter whom he called "Sister"and he was placing his trust in me as I tried to teach him about Heaven with time not being on our side for a lengthy lesson.

Something profound had happened-he seemed peaceful and relaxed-understanding my answers and now after the serious manner of our words, he decided to have a bit of fun with his daughter- "Now Sister, I think you are right about Heaven being a place filled with fishing and I need to know where to get my fishing pole!"  Typical Daddy-taking  care of the basics. This sly smile covered his face as he watched me struggling for another answer- "Oh Daddy, you know who will have your Pole-Moma!"  My mind was so ready for this conversation to end but he had one final challenge for his daughter "Okay Sister-I need to have a Fishing License-so who do I talk to about that?"

Now we were both smiling, knowing how far we had traveled together-I leaned back in my chair, tired and yet thrilled to see my precious Dad's face, filled with love for me as I spoke to him "Daddy, be sure and speak directly to Jesus about that!"  He quietly chuckled and we never spoke about Heaven again.  Oh I am sure that I could have spent a long time quoting scripture to my Dad, giving him words from the Bible, instead of coming up with answers of Heaven being a place to catch a lot of Fish!

Sometimes we have to take a different approach on spiritual issues and my Dad had hit me with the biggest challenge-he needed answers and assurance.  I probably was not the best person to tackle this issue but he trusted me and had witnessed my own faith journey.  As I left his room that day, suddenly for no reason, I glanced toward pictures hanging on the wall and there was a photo of my Dad, much younger, smiling with pride as he held up a huge catch of fish!  God was right there with us both-and I know HE gave me the words to help me give a fast teaching lesson about Heaven!

I will forever be thankful to God for the blessing of my parents, regardless of the ups and downs we went through at times, I loved them so much and there is a aching in my heart as I miss them each day.  Something tells me they are smiling down with Joy as they rest on the shores of Heaven.

8 comments:

  1. God surely did give you the words to say to your precious Dad that day, "Sister". Assurance, love, and then, humor--just what he needed to settle into comfort. My dad died in this month seven years ago, and I'm thinking of him this week too, as the dogwood we planted in his honor has just bloomed in our back yard. Seems like just yesterday, but also seems like years and years. Makes us look forward to Heaven even a bit more, don't you think?

    Blessings, Judi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judi-
    so good to hear from you and how these words lift me up. My dad passed away on April 23rd-and lots of emotions rise to the surface as it gets closer. I love your comment about "seems like yesterday" but of course it does seem like TOO many years have passed. Yes-as we long for our loved ones who have passed on, it does bring a warm sensation as I think about Heaven-not looking at it with fear-but dreaming about another huge CIRCLE-love surrounding the shores of Heaven!

    I don't want to leave this world yet-thats me being very Human as I would love to grow OLD with my dear Matt... I probably mentioned this before (sorry as pain medication can make me forgetful at times) but our two neighbors are 97 and 95-and have been married for over 70 years. They take life one simple day at a time and I Never see them stressed or worried-and they both are 100% healthier than ME!!!!

    I love them and when around them, try to soak up everything they share and teach me.

    It is very hard to lose our Dads/Moms-and it touched me deeply to hear about the Dogwood starting to bloom-a "HELLO" from your Heavenly Dad...

    Thank you Judi-your insight always touches me and I am in awe of your strength!!

    God bless, martha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha-

      How I love reading your accounts, as you would recall, the beautiful times you had with your precious Dad. The beautiful exchange of loving words and lessons given and taken from both sides. He was so gracious and humble as to let you grow in wisdom and trust,,,,, putting questions, you loved to answer. Those times made you stronger deep inside.

      I too, would like to think about the times you spent together... as you commemorate his death anniversary. He would be smiling down at you beside your Mom. He could well be the father I never experienced being with.

      Take the blessed time to retrace and rekindle the child in you around Him.

      My love to you, Martha.

      Lolita

      Delete
    2. Lolita-
      How beautiful your words are and my heart soars as I read your comments. My Dad had such a deep love for people inside him and I was so blessed to have him in my life.

      Something tells me as He looks down on us-he watches our "Circle" and shakes his head in approval-and is proud of us all.

      My love goes right back to you Lolita. martha

      Delete
  3. Martha...I love your Dad calling you "sister", such an endearing word. My mother and I had sort of the same conversation right before we moved to California. She is 85 been a nursing home for about 2 years, needs round the clock nursing.

    Her best friend across the hall had died the day before we got there. My mother was so upset, they had to give her something to calm her down. Mom and her best friend had planned to go together and now Henretta had left her. Mom cried and cried as she talked about this. She said I am not sure if I can find my way... knowing my Mom is a christian I said, Mom, Henretta is waiting for you, she knows the way and Jesus will be there to guide you. I said, Mom your mother and father will be there, she brighten a little, still crying for she was sad at being left behind. I sit here bawling as I type this for now my mother is in isolation due to infections that are highly contegous. Guess whose room they put her in, Henretta's. My sister in law told me this the other day. A lady across the hall gave my Mom a plant and told her do not worry about watering it. I will come to your door and you can give me the plant and I will water it for you. My mom loves people and the gospels singings and she has not been able to leave her room for about three weeks. She could go out her room IF shes would leave her mask on but she is a little bit stubborn, hehe. Ok I have to quit because I really need to cry........thanks Martha for posting about your Dad...encouraging...pray for my mother please, she is so ready to go home and keeps asking why He does not take her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Betty-
    I am so sorry to hear this news about your Mom. How difficult that had to be when she was needing her friend to help with adjusting to being in a nursing home and must have felt so very lost. But you also gave her words of hope, loved ones who had passed and were waiting to see her.

    There are many older people here in our community that I am very fond of and several have asked me at times when one of their dear friends had passed "Why did they have to go? Why won't God take me now?"

    Its very hard at moments like that to find the RIGHT answer and all I am able to say is this
    "Well, I guess God is not finished with you-HE still needs you here to do things. Just know how much HE loves you."

    Strange,but I have seen their face lighten up and they are not as sad.

    I will pray for you to be strong as your Mom goes through this terrible struggle and my prayers are there for her also. God will guide you through it all Betty.

    Bless you for sharing with me and yes-the word
    SISTER-has a very special meaning for me..

    blessings and love, martha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, gosh...

    Betty, I'll be praying for your mom...I had no idea. I'm crying with you. Jesus has prepared her place. He's getting everything in order. The sunset years of life, are God's welcome mat.

    Martha, I too, love that your Dad called you Sister. How preceious. I love reading these stories. Thank you for sharing them with us all. And I'm so glad you had that time with him. Not everyone does. Very special. And I'm sure he's holding up the fish for you to see!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diane-
    A BIG Smile just hit me when you mentioned about my Dad holding "Fish" up for me to see!! It is amazing how we all seem to gain "inner perspectives" of our "Circle of Friends"-one thing that I treasured doing with my Dad was Fishing!

    My parents had a house near a big Lake and early in our married years, Matt and I got the "bug" and we built a house there too-yep, did it from the ground up and we could look out our windows and see the lake.

    We would plan trips there, and then My Dad would tell me the night before "Lets get up early and take a run out on the lake-see if we can catch anything!" Those days are in my heart and gives me such Joy to think about them. Diane- you brought me my JOY MOMENT for this day!!!

    Bless your heart-I needed something to smile about-because this Pain has really been dragging me down.

    Thank you sweet and precious Diane-I needed this BOOST today!!

    love,martha

    ReplyDelete