Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Lifting up a Pain Partner!

When a person suffers daily with Chronic Pain, you begin to think, "nobody feels like I do" and yet your mind tells you there are lots of unknown people who suffer with Pain- they might be living next door to us, or sitting beside us in church-we never know the Path others have to walk, and its pretty hard to get our minds away from our own miserable Pain Journey to think about others suffering.

I have a very dear friend whose husband suffers terribly with Chronic Pain-he has had numerous accidents, hip replacements, just too many times of his body getting roughed up and it has taken a huge toll on him.  We began our friendship by Praying for each other.  Each time I spoke with his wife, I would ask how he was doing and one day, I asked if He minded speaking with me on the phone.  We shared our "Pain Misery" with each other and I told him that from now on, He would be in my prayers every single day-and in turn, He promised to do the same for me.

We have stuck to our promise-and its almost like we can "sense" when one of us is really having a rough week. Sometimes I think we should both start doing the Weather Reports because when his Pain starts rising, he will comment "somebody is catching Hell somewhere tonight!"  His meaning is simple, there is bad weather breaking out as His body is throbbing-letting him know, Bad Weather is coming this way!

His wife will let him know when I am on the bad side of Pain and again, as my day drags on, there will come a second when My Pain seems to ease a bit-and my heart tells me "my good friend just prayed for me!" We both know there is no magical cure for our wounded body parts, nerves damaged with wicked scar tissue choking the nerve so badly, it makes us both want to just Scream and Beg for it to stop.  Yet our inner strength keeps going-as we both lean hard on our faith.

I spoke with him yesterday, asking how he was doing-but already knowing what the answer would be: He let me know things were not terrible, but definitely not great!  We talked briefly about the things we can do to stay occupied, trying so hard to keep our minds away from the Pain. It was a "Hang in there Buddy" Conversation and yet it ended in the most beautiful way; I assured him that he is always in my nightly Prayers and he assured me, Prayers are sent up to God by him each day-so that I can keep finding the courage to battle back against Pain.

We have a beautiful quiet "Spiritual Sharing" that happens each day and I know God hears both of us praying, doing our best to "Lift each other Up from the Pain Pit!" Its a Gift that can't be measured-or truly explained-but we both know God brought us together and we lean on each other in those rough times, always looking UP to God for help.

Today I pushed myself to get out of the house and go for a ride with my husband, knowing it was not going to be easy, but I found my way through it and something tells me, the prayers of my dear friend-they were the extra "HELP" I needed to get through the day.

I pray for all who suffer their own battle with Pain-just know-you are not alone!  Somebody is "Lifting" you up and hoping your day will get better.

God bless you. Martha

8 comments:

  1. You are the best pain buddy in the whole world!!! Your heart of compassion is more than evident. I say it again, dear Martha, you have a ministry.

    You do Jesus proud! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane!
      Your words just keep touching me so deep! I don't see myself as having a "Ministry" as you say-but what I do know is my heart is open and willing to help others who are suffering-if its just by putting words on a blog that someone might see and think "well I can't believe it-somebody else is hurting like I am!"

      Never dreamed I would be a PAIN BUDDY-but here is the Path I am on and by faith, I will follow the direction God is leading me in.

      Me doing JESUS Proud?? WOW-now that is a comment that puts me in total silence. You have honored me Diane by these words-they are so powerful and honest-God Bless you!!! all my love, Martha

      Delete
    2. I do agree with Diane, Martha. And we are always here to pray for those you are ministering to.

      I lift this up to God, with my fervent prayer, for Charles, and to all those who are in excruciating pain. I do understand how it is to have damaged tissues and nerve endings.

      You are a rock even if you think you are always leaning upon Matt. God is with you always.

      Delete
    3. Lolita-
      As always, you bring a smile to my heart!! Thank you truly for the prayers for my friend, Charles. They helped!!!

      Me-a ROCK!!! Interesting for you to say that-because I feel like a pile of MUSH and always Need Matt to lift me up, but he also tells me "martha-you are one strong woman, whose heart is huge and filled with love for others!"

      I am stunned by such love--and blessed beyond measure.

      The ROCK reminded me of something my Mom would say to me during my teenage years and young adult-we had a place near a lake that we built ourselves and visited often. A new landowner came in and was filled with evil intent, going as far as trying to shut the water supply off for everyone. Well-long story short, Martha called every State Agency possible and by the Grace of God, Managed after many years of hard work to get this man's evil ways Stopped.

      Each time I reached a new accomplishment, my Mom would just shake her head and say "Sister-You just planted another HUGE ROCK in the road-and that man will NEVER be able to get around it!!"

      That was a lovely memory to think of this morning...

      Bless you dear Lolita... Thank you for reminding me that GOD is truly right here beside me!!! I believe the same is true for YOU.

      love, martha

      Delete
    4. Martha-

      That all sealed it, didn't it? I knew it even before I heard of you Mom's remark. So don't deny it, my dear.

      Who put that knowledge in my heart except for He who has connected us with each other?

      I can read it starkly written in between the lines.

      God bless you more.... everyday, as you fight in prayer, for the cause of others.

      With much love,

      Delete
    5. Lolita-
      What a blessing you are to me!! I can sit here, type out words as they flow from my heart and "sometimes Miss the real meaning" and here is such a powerful reminder of our LORD-as you said "Who put that knowledge in my heart except HE who has connected us with each other?

      Amazing lessons I learn from all of you, God is taking this COF and we are all taking on roles of teachers, friends, strong arms to lean on for each other, and best of all, Sharing the love of GOD among us all.

      God bless you Lolita and lift you high each day.

      Martha

      Delete
  2. Yes, yes, yes God has given you a ministry of reminding us that pain does not have to defeat us...there is life with pain because life is in Christ....thank you my wise hearted sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty-
      THANK YOU-because even though I truly do have my fighting motto,
      Pain Won't Beat Me-there are many times when I grow so tired from PAIN being with me constantly.

      Your words-"There is LIFE with Pain because LIFE is in Christ"-no better words spoken! I never dreamed that something I say could be of help to another person who is suffering-and I can say with all honesty, I do feel my Faith growing each day. Yes Pain is always here with me-and all of you are helping me to remember-There is much living to be done, no matter the PAIN. Its by HIS love and Grace that I find the strength to move forward each day!

      I thank you Betty-for these words, and for you being an amazing woman, a loving COF Sister to all.

      God bless you. Martha

      Delete