Tuesday, April 17, 2012

My Rock!!

Well, Here is Matt & Martha!

This photo was taken at a Dinner this past weekend as we were part of helping with the Rehearsal!  Matt is a wonderful man-its just that simple.  I can tell you that when we married-almost 37 years ago, he had a FULL head of hair!  We have joked over the years as to WHY he lost his hair and came up with this:  With Me-well there are all types of situations and things happening that Matt would stop, and take his hand, pulling his hair back in frustration and thinking "What a Week I am having with my Wife!"  As the years went by, his remaining hair was going away FAST-and so I suggest he shave it off.  I had seen many men with a shaved head and found it "quite attractive" so he finally gave in, agreeing to go have it done.  But one night, he decided Martha needed a "surprise" and he comes walking out of the bathroom, and asks me "Well, what do you think?"

Oh my gosh-there he stands, not realizing that in his rapid shaving-lots of Pitiful patches were still left on his head and then as he turns around, All I can see is this solid WHITE area on the back!!  My brain is saying, "how am I going to be seen in public with this man?"  But being the loving wife, I smile big and tell him "I love the New Look!"  Something must have told him-"my wife is NOT telling me the truth" and he just stood there, waiting for the real Martha to show up and I did, by suggesting we both go back to the bathroom and help "Slay the remaining hairs!"

It all worked out, as he was outside the next day, getting a lot of sun to help the WHITE area blend with the rest of him.  Matt has had a mustache since we first met-and its been shaved off only TWO times in our marriage-he had to shave it when he entered the Police Academy, and about thirteen years later, shaved it off as he took a month off of work to study for the Detective Exam-and yes, he made Detective and we finally got to have weekends together!

We met at a Chili Cook-off in Sept. 1973-I was with a group of girls who went to high school with me and they were attending college in this town-but I could not go to college as my parents simply could not afford it.  We are all walking around and suddenly we see this booth with several "good looking men" laughing and cooking away on their Chili.  Everyone talked about going up to ask for a sample but none of them had the nerve-except for Me!  I went marching up there, long blonde hair flowing, tight fitting jeans and a smile on my face as I asked "Could I please have some Chili?"

My future husband stepped right up and gave me a sample of his Chili!  Of course I thought he was so handsome but what stood out the most was his SMILE!! I had never seen anybody that happy in my life-(probably helped that he had been enjoying a few beers) and we started talking-as my friends now wanted me to follow them.  I waved my hand toward them, saying I would find them later.  NOTHING was going to pull me away from this man and this Smile!! We started talking, about everything from where we grew up as kids, when suddenly Matt stops and tells me "I don't want to get married for TEN years!"  I don't know if he was testing me but I just looked at him and said "Well-in TEN years, you just might not find ANYBODY worth marrying!!!"  It silenced him and on we went-talking as if nobody else existed around us, with Matt not caring if the Chili burned up as he tried one more test "I want to have SIX kids" and it didn't take me long to answer back "Well, you are looking at the WRONG woman because I don't think I can do that!"  He took a long look and still chattered away.  We realized our conversation had been going for almost three hours and I figured my friends might be getting nervous, so I gave him the phone number where I was staying at and we promised to meet up later that night at a dance (of course Matt never made the dance-as the beer and Chili put him to bed) and he walked me over to where I would wait for my friends-when suddenly he looks at me with those EYES of his and says "Can I kiss you Goodbye?"

To this day I don't know why these words came out of my mouth but I said "Now listen, I really don't know you at all, but I don't mind if you give me a Kiss on the Cheek!"  He looked like a sad kid but acted like the true gentleman he has always been and gave me a very wonderful kiss on my cheek!  We never saw each other that night, and I left to go back home where I lived with my Parents.  My friends told me their phone rang very early that morning with Matt asking to speak with me!  They gave him my home number, he called that afternoon and we began dating the following weekend.

Our courtship lasted for over a year and we never missed a weekend of being together.  When he took me home on that first date, I turned to him and asked "Why did you ask me out?"  In my mind, I could not comprehend such a wonderful person wanting to date me because I did not ever see myself as attractive.  Matt turned to me with such a serious look and said "I took you out because I am in LOVE with you!"  Now that one stopped me in my tracks-and my Mom told me just a few weeks later, she knew I had met the man I would marry!

Matt is patient, kind, loving, strong, full of joy and laughter and above all, he is my ROCK!  I lean on him for everything-I do NOT want to think of my life without him!  Our prayer is to grow OLD together!

I hope you enjoyed our story!  There is nobody else like Matt.


11 comments:

  1. Yay, there's Matt! I'd say he sure is a hunk, but Martha might come after me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheryl!!!! My Texas "Sister"-yep-I think he is a hunk and I probably would come a looking for you!!!

      Bless you for the comments!! I promise Matt will read this!!! It will make him SMILE!!!

      Love you dear Sheryl.. Martha

      Delete
    2. Gosh, you are such a lovely couple. Matt is a hunk and his got the look in his eyes that would melt a girl like ice cream.......and he's got the heart to go with the looks.

      And you, Martha, my darling is so gorgeous. Blue becomes you so well.

      Thank you for sharing us this picture. Was this taken during the wedding?

      I feel like I am real-true-to-life in front of you. Now I have a beautiful picture of you both, as I continue to keep you close in my heart, in my thoughts, and in my prayers.

      And he is all yours, my lovely friend, God has chosen him for you alone.

      Hugs to you both, with my love and blessings.

      Delete
    3. Another thing, before I forget..... The title My Rock, is so apt. My mind instantly went to your picture done by V.

      Yes, Martha, he is your rock, whom God has made you to be the source of strength, wisdom and love. You are standing upon your rock.

      Beautiful!

      BTW, I made a print of this post.... with the picture in it to bring Home. Is it okay? Well, I already did!

      Delete
    4. Here's the song:

      JESUS LOVER OF MY SOUL

      Jesus, Lover of my soul,
      Jesus, I will never let you go
      Youve taken me from the miry clay
      You've set my feet upon the Rock, and now i know
      I love you, I need you,
      Though my world may fall, I'll never let you go
      My Saviour, my closest friend,
      I will worship you until the very end
      (repeat)

      More lyrics: http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/h/hillsong_united/#share

      Delete
    5. Oh, Martha dear, you must forgive me. It is obvious I did not read the story before I made the comment.

      Once again, I am joggling between reading blogs and doing office jobs. That is the order of my day here in my office. The first blog I go is either yours and Diane's..... then come the Check Vouchers to sign..... and then read fast the blogs...... That is why I printed this post to read again. Now I am done reading and my question about where the picture was taken is answered.

      Please forgive me, dear Martha. So I have now consumed four boxes of comments. Any more space to write?

      Delete
    6. Lolita-
      First thing I did was go tell my sweet Matt about your comment of "Him having eyes that would melt a girl like Ice Cream!" Hope I got that right and that SMILE-he was smiling so huge and said to tell you HELLO LOLITA!!!! BLESS YOU!!! I am Honored that you printed the picture out of us and thrilled you have it in your home!! You can tell people "Heh-these are my friends from Texas! Why thats just a SHORT distance from here!!"

      I loved your words about the ROCK-Matt has been that for me and so much more. One thing I forgot to put in my blog was a Prayer moment that I had just three weeks before I met Matt and I would like to share it with you:

      I had not dated that much, and got very tired of men who seemed to have NO regard for treating me with decency and care! So I just stopped dating and one day at my work desk, I closed the door, put my head on my desk and went to God in Prayer:

      "Please God, I am asking you to send me a man who will love me for the person I am. A man who will treat me with the utmost respect. A Man who will honor me and stay with me forever."

      Three short weeks later, I asked "May I have some Chili?" God answered my prayer in baskets of miracles!!!! I loved all of your comments Lolita and my dear, there is ALWAYS room for more Words!!!

      You have touched my heart and made my husband GLOW!!!

      Love and Blessings. Martha

      Delete
    7. Lolita-
      I forgot to thank you for the comments you made about me being pretty and looking good in BLUE!!! I love that and Matt will be thrilled because he has been after me for years to stop wearing BLACK!!!!

      love, martha

      Delete
    8. You are always welcome, my Martha.

      And did God ever answered your prayer, so fervent and clear. It was what He waited for, for you to claim, the package He had for you, all wrapped up and complete with the trimmings.

      How Matt's world just stopped that day you talked, in an instant, he knew... he has met the right girl for him. "This is the missing piece to my puzzle..... the rib that God has taken out from me", he should be thinking that.

      Delete
  2. What a love story! Thank you for sharing it, Martha. You Texans sure do move quick! LOL!

    Truly, you are blessed of God. Enjoy all yor moments together! And he DOES have a beautiful smile!

    But, then again, so do you! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Diane-
      You are such a sweet heart--what words of love you share with me. Yes, Matt does have a beautiful smile-and we are indeed blessed by God. Thank you for the loving words about me. This was one picture that I truly liked. Its now my screen saver, so each time I flip on my computer, there is my MATT-smiling away at me!!!!

      Bless you my dear friend. Martha

      Delete