Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Chronic Pain in the life of a Teenager.

Since my procedure, I have spent a lot of time simply laying around, reading, sneaking out to my office for just a few minutes to check my computer and watching television.  I have seen my share of old movies, modern shows-feel like I could cook tons of new recipes and today, for whatever reason, I stayed put and heard the final news report on our local station.  Thank God I was listening because my eyes were opened to a side of Chronic Pain that I never knew existed.

The report was based on young female teenagers, playing Soccer and how easily they can get concussions-with so many of them playing right through till the end of the game, not wanting to be taken out of doing something they treasure.  Yet the side-effects or more importantly, the after-math of a Concussion in these young women stunned me-as I listened to a lovely young girl describe what she now lives with after having endured more than one Concussion.  She spoke in a soft voice, and was in her bedroom, which is kept in a constant level of low lighting-so the lights do not further add to the constant 24 hour a day headache she lives with!  When I heard that number, 24 hours-my heart broke-and yet this girl sat with such grace, although it was very clear she was dealing with Pain even as she spoke.

The words she gave to explain Chronic Pain-that she lives with  were simple and so painful "People think you can't have a headache 24 hours a day, seven days a week, but its true.  They just don't understand, This Pain doesn't Ever Go Away-I can't say it any better-I am sorry but its true, the Pain never goes away."

The words were there-and she said them with a clarity that I shall never forget.  Here was a young girl, telling the world about her Pain, then apologizing for the severe Truth of her words, yet being so honest, that I could feel her heart coming through the screen-as she opened up and gave Chronic Pain a real Face.

She is so young-in the prime of her life and suffering agony that very few know about-especially in the teenage years of her life, playing a sport she loved and now suffering with Pain-a Pain that has already quickly moved the growing process along.  My meaning in that is she  must now face the daily battle of Chronic Pain-still trying to have the joys of being young-yet being pounded daily with Pain that can
age each person who gets in its Path.

I learned more tonight about Chronic Pain-from the voice of this young woman-and I will never be able to
forget her words.  I praise her for reaching inside and finding true inner courage to explain the simple cold
facts of Chronic Pain-when she said "This Pain doesn't ever Go Away!"  God bless this girl, I pray He hold her in HIS loving Arms and ease her Pain.  Hearing this young woman speak gave me courage-and a better understanding to keep my head held high, and walk my Pain journey with true Dignity.  If a lovely young teenager can do it, then by the grace of God, So Can I.

My heart aches for all who are suffering with Chronic Pain.  God be with you.  Martha

8 comments:

  1. Martha, I was fixing dinner and my husband had the TV on when I saw the SAME piece of news with that young girl you're talking about. I immediately thought of you! I was proud of her when someone said they knew what she meant and she softly and politely said, "Thank you for saying that and I'm sorry but you don't!" I'm so glad watching that helped you in the way you describe! God love you, honey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Veronica-
      Well I hoped that my words got all that she was saying-this interview had an impact on me like NOTHING has in a very long time.
      To see the "branches of strength" this young girl is already growing and leaning upon-moved me and who knows, maybe there was a second or two where I also saw me at that age-already much OLDER than I should be, but becoming strong in Faith and courage-not having a clue as to how my life would be in need of a LOT of Faith and Courage!

      This girl inspired me! She melted my heart-and above everything else, she TAUGHT me a lot in those few words she spoke.

      Pretty amazing it was being shown around the country-in hopes of opening minds as to just how FAST your life can change-in a flash.

      Thanks Veronica. Sure hope you are feeling better and kicked the COLD out of the way that was making you feel rough.

      Love and hugs. Martha

      Delete
  2. That's a very hard reality, Martha.

    Pain comes in all ages and walks of life. It is a plain reminder that our bodies could only take this much, and while stretched beyond its limits, some can endure and fly away without the consequences, some simply can't..... and their bodies gave.

    It often reminds me of those girls who go to ballet at the youngest age possible, like those from Russia, who are driven for the place they want to be and be known about..... they go into rigorous exercises and routines under brute tutelage..... and look at the damaged nails and toes. Sure they dance gracefully, show the world beautiful smiles, and they suffer.... all for the love of their craft.

    This is such a tough world we have, and I could say that for us to weather the challenges we face, we too should have super-bodies and super-spirits.... of course the spirit side is from our Maker, but we all fall down with the weakness of our bodies. Sigh.....

    Anyway, I ache for what breaks you heart, Martha, seeing the reality of others in pain, even the young.

    Hugs, dear and thanks for sharing this reality to us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lolita-
      This girl was my TEACHER as I watched her speak-my eyes could not move from the image of this young girl, in obvious Chronic Pain. My heart broke for what is in her path of life to come- and I agree with your words about the youngest ones in areas like Russia-reaching out for the love of Ballet-too young to understand the Pain that will follow them-as they strive for a place so HIGH-that is filled with a HUGE price.

      One of the things that hit me the hardest was her simple and yet direct message about people really NOT understanding Chronic Pain. My husband tells me all the time that people See me, and all they see is me walking around-therefore to them I appear Normal. But they have NOT walked in my shoes and I would NEVER wish the Path of Chronic Pain on ANYONE!

      Compassion needs to be thought about a lot-because its amazing just how FAR a single act of compassion can take a person who is in Pain and suffering. The Nurse who patted my hand when I had "My Moment" a few seconds of recalling what it once felt like to have NO pain in my body-she has no idea what that meant to me-but I pray God gives me the chance to see her again, soon, so I can tell her exactly how much it meant to me and THANK HER for that simple kind act.

      Your heart is warm and filled with much love Lolita-God truly shines upon you. All my blessings, Martha

      Delete
  3. Oh, wow, Martha, how very sad.

    I can see how all those blows to the head would do something like this. I saw on a TV show that the brain injuries young men are getting from playing football. When they do scans on them, their brains look like those who suffer with Alzheimer's.

    Very sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane-
      Yes this young girl ripped me apart-but yet she also truly was TEACHING me as she spoke. It was her clear message that people Might Tell you they understand about Chronic Pain but unless they have experienced it, there is NO way they really understand.

      For whatever reason,this was meant for me to see. I simply could not take my eyes away from her face-my heart ached for the long valley of Pain ahead-and yet I could already see "long sturdy branches of deep inner strength, growing and ready for her to lean on as she needs them-all these branches being nourished by the Love of God.

      From one so YOUNG-I learned so MUCH.

      God bless you dear.Martha

      Delete
  4. The opportunity to lift others up in prayer is all around us every moment, isn't it? Even as i walked out of work today, I overheard someone talking about someone with multiple blood clots an leukemia and something else, and instantly frustrations of my own faded away... God bless your heart reaching out, Martha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam-
      Yes I agree with you as to how many times we are hearing of another human being, hurting, and needing to know-somebody takes the time to care for them. When I see people who are obviously struggling with Chronic Pain, it makes me step "aside" from my own Pain and lift that person up in a simple prayer. This teenager touched my heart very deep! She has so many Mountains facing her, but I believe God will be with her, every step of the way.

      Thank you for the comments Pam. Very caring words.

      Martha

      Delete