Thursday, May 31, 2012

Someone please tell me what Stamina Means~

As most of you already know, I got a wild idea about a month ago to plant lots of new flowers so we could sit on our porch and enjoy their beauty.  That idea took us from my husband digging in the dirt-to a fast ride to the doctor because He broke his Thumb-then going further for Surgery on the Thumb with Pins being put in it.    One simple idea really got turned upside down-we had to hire some guys to put the plants in the ground, and having to just sit around as we wait for the thumb to heal.

One would think Martha might say "okay-enough of the plant stuff" but I begged dear Husband to stop by another Plant store so we could Look around-as we are walked in, a young clerk says "You have been here before!  The Cold Water Jug is right over in the corner-remember you almost passed out the last time you were in here!"  Nice to know I leave a lasting impression and she was right-I got carried away with all the plants around me and forgot how Hot it gets here in Texas and well-lets just say I was going down fast when my friend saw me and started throwing water on me!

Husband suddenly has a memory flash and tells me-"You go sit under the shade tree and I will bring some plants over for you to give a Yes or No to!"  He didn't have to speak twice as I was again feeling the heat and found a lovely shaded area.  We came home with some nice plants and my goal was to get them all planted-sounded like a easy task, but for me-well not so easy-and definitely not pretty!  Once I get down to ground level-the method I use to find my way back up to a standing position should never be seen in public!

It took about three hours to get ten plants in the ground-with at least seven breaks of me dragging my old body to the porch and gasping for air.  My dear husband-man with one good Thumb kept offering his help, but oh no-Martha was going to get this job done, one way or the other!  Stubborn Pride is not always the greatest quality to have-as I recall a distant memory of me and a tree.

So I am sitting there, dirty, tired, aching-wanting to throw the remaining plants away and suddenly I hear these words "Well Martha-you are doing great at planting-its just taking you time to get your Stamina back!" I froze at the words, anger growing fast inside-and the crazy part was I couldn't really put my finger on Why that Word made me so mad.  We sat there, time ticking away and me thinking about what his words meant-was it just a simple statement he made, or was he trying to find words to cheer me on as I struggled to finish this task that once was so easy for me to do?

Then it hit me-I thought that word was something I would never think of again-but a realization hit me-I had never given the word up-as I still get through each day with the small amount of Stamina left in me. Now I use it to help me fight my way through the Pain I live with-instead of planting and doing physical work that was so meaningful to me.  My rise to anger when hearing the word was a reaction to how hard I had to struggle to put these simple plants in the ground-and I knew it was time to let my husband know what was going on.

We are admiring the plants and I tell him "You know, I got so Mad at you about an hour ago-because you said one word, Stamina!"  Now I understand all you were doing was making a statement-no hidden meaning for you-but a ton of emotional meaning for me!"  He took a long slow look at me and said "Martha-I watched you struggle and was proud of you for at least trying to tackle this job, and yes Dear Wife-it was taking a lot of Stamina that you do not Have!"

Together we figured out the meaning of Stamina-and I have a feeling it takes a ton of it for my husband to deal with the ups and downs his wife goes through in fighting Pain.  We finished the last two plants together-him with the bad Thumb, me with the bad body, but the two of us United in Love.  He made one last comment to me "Sure hope these are the last Plants-we don't need anymore" and I shook my head in agreement!  First thing I have to do in the morning is call our Local Plant Store and tell the lady-"Please put those extra Five Plants I ordered today back in your stock-I won't be needing them!" Thats one phone call he doesn't need to hear me make!

One day at a time, we learn lessons-good and bad-but we keep learning.  My Joy came today when my husband helped pull me up from the ground and I leaned against him in total exhaustion!  We laughed and hugged.  Not a bad way to end the day.

God bless you all.  Martha

6 comments:

  1. For me. Martha, it is the same..... My stamina has gone off to the ends of the earth, leaving me with only "staymina." Just staying on my chair in front of the PC.

    So you just do a little, for the love of it, but be sure not to tax yourself.

    It is always good to find those arms of your loving man, picking you up from your stubborn determination to conquer anything.

    There, Martha, is your joy for the day. I know you will always find them.

    Hugs and love to you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lolita-
      I absolutely LOVE the new version you have given me for Stamina-
      STAYMINA--its priceless and yes-nothing wrong with spending time in our chair as we park ourselves in front of our PC.

      Tonight I told Matt about "canceling FIVE more plants" I had ordered from our local Plant store-You should have SEEN the look on his face-He took a long time and finally said "Yes Wife, Please be sure to cancel that order! We don't need anymore Plant work!!!

      I must learn to let that stubborn determination "take a vacation" so I can then learn about relaxing! Bless you for giving me such insightful meaning and helping me find clarity in this Pain journey!

      God bless you dear Lolita-you are so special to all of us.

      Martha

      Delete
  2. Well, Martha, so much for the laughter. I was wiping the tears from laughing so hard, picturing you at that water cooler! "Nice to know I leave a lasting impression." Oh, Gosh! Are you related to Lucille Ball?!

    Seriously, this is a great post. Thanks to your transparency, many learn from you! May God bless you, Lolita, and all of us with chronic pain with much stamina (enduring strength and energy)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane-
      Well I wonder what Dear Old Lucy would think of all my antics-they seem to just keep coming, one after the other. I must admit its a Eye Opener when you step through the doors of a Plant store and instantly, the clerk REMEMBERS Me!

      Yep-if memory serves me right, I think they used TWO jugs of water that day when I was trying to LAY DOWN among the Plants!

      I do love your words for me-as you help me to keep learning about myself as I blog my heart out with the numerous ups and downs around here on the farm! Enduring Strength and Energy-yes I will take those any day of the week. This morning as I truly dragged my aching body out of bed, I recalled having "confessed" to Husband about the extra FIVE plants I had on order! He is on the phone, telling the store "We won't be needing those plants-if we got them, I think we would need our local EMS standing by, but we do thank you and please, if Martha calls for MORE plants, just give me a CALL!"

      Guess he didn't want anymore Plants!

      I hit the bed last night, dirty clothes and all-planning on getting up to shower-when I wake up at the sound of a CRASH! Dear Husband is suddenly standing by the bed and asking "Martha-what happened? Did you drop your glass of water?"

      My head barely raises from my pillow-as I glance to see water covering the floor and a LOT of broken glass-then I turn to him and say ever so lovingly "Gee dear, looks like it FELL!" My head hits the pillow and I am snoring!

      Now WHERE did we buy those glasses at? We are down to Two of them!

      Love you Diane. Martha

      Delete
  3. Wow, I could have written this post--it so hits home. It makes me sad on one hand,because I miss the energy to plant and "putter". And encouraged on the other, to see your faith through it, and your love and partnership with your husband. We both have amazing men, thank God!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judi-
      Yes-we are so blessed to have our husbands! I wish you could have SEEN his face when I told him there was another order of plants waiting for us!!

      He couldn't make that phone call fast enough this morning-and I must admit-it was okay to know I did not have to drag my body outside today! Sometimes I really do learn lessons the hard way!

      One thing to share with you-The Joy I once had in planting and being outside-well its not there anymore as I found out yesterday and saw how Hard I had to struggle with putting plants in the ground. Guess its called "Pain-making us Grow up and Face the Facts!"

      Bless you Judi. Martha

      Delete