Friday, May 18, 2012

The Long Road of Pain....

I have a dear friend who is my version of SuperWoman-not because of her supreme Physical abilities, but instead for her tremendous Courage as she lives daily surrounded by Pain.  Thank God her body is not the one in agony, but her beloved husband (my prayer buddy) suffers daily with severe Chronic Pain, and she ministers to him without giving it a second thought-after all she is a Nurse by profession, a wife by choice and her nursing skills have been honed to a razor sharp level!  One would have thought this woman's plate was more than full as she keeps a keen eye watching over her husband, knowing his Pain level is rising even before he dares to finally speak the words out loud, "I am having a bad day" and she is there by his side, doing everything possible to help bring seconds, minutes, hours of relief for him.  Some of you might recall that I asked for prayers for "Charles" recently-as he was in the dark valley of suffering and your prayers have brought him many days of lighter Pain-God bless you for those prayers!

But my friend stands out to me because of the loving choice she made several years ago when her father became seriously ill, and the love of a daughter said  "Dad needs to be here with us at home" and  her Super Nursing skills shined again, with each day bringing more improvement in his health.  I have watched  them share a moment of laughter together-then having the honor to share a few words of Prayer with them, and listening as he smiled over at his daughter, telling me "She is a special Gal-so special!"  The love was evident and it was a blessing to witness it.

A few days ago my mind was drawn to my friend-I knew she was on a much needed get-away and yet
I could not stop thinking about her-something didn't "Feel Right" and suddenly my phone rang-it was my friend telling me she was back in town and at the hospital with her Father who had fallen and broken his hip.
My heart broke at this news-fearing what lay ahead for her and what tough decisions were probably in her
path.  This woman is amazing-she knew the full extent of her Dad's injury and that any surgical intervention
would probably take her Dad from her while he was on the Operating Table-and so she made the loving decision to keep him comfortable and allow  him to pass from this world with Dignity.

She was faced with the thought of putting her Dad in a Nursing Facility-realizing how demanding his care would now be and so all arrangements were made-but God has His hand in our lives and She felt the need to stop by the Nursing Facility to check it out-wanting the best possible for Her Dad.  She called and said "I couldn't do it-as I left, the tears hit me and would not stop coming!  I can't put my Dad there-so he is coming home with me!"

My Friend chose Love-she put aside all the "Issues" and has risen like the true shining Star I know her to be! Thank goodness for extra nursing care help stopping in to assist with making sure "Frank" is kept at ease, and I know he is surrounded by true love on this night!  I called to see how things were going and she told me  Dad is no longer able to speak-but she knows He can still hear the words of Love she whispers to him and I urged her "Store every second of this time with him in your heart!"

I have watched my friend walk down this Long Road of Pain- and she has not allowed Pain to Win. Without doubt Pain has  taken all of them on some rough rides but in these final days of life for this special man, I believe God is there and has cast Pain aside-letting this family love and grieve as they slowly say Goodbye to this amazing Man.

Thank you God for allowing these amazing people to be in my heart.

God Bless.  Martha

No comments:

Post a Comment